Callers | Hog "Squeal" Caller

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
4%
1 - Very poor
2%
2 - Poor
12%
3 - Average
29%
4 - Good
31%
5 - Excellent
23%

Total votes: 104
khavy
Tracker

Re: Callers | Hog "Squeal" Caller

Post by khavy »

Average... for it not always works... and the pigs take forever to come towards you
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

it works great but if the hogs don't respond it's because they have been "squealed" before or by you or by another player . if you chase them long enough you'll hear them squeal again that means you can try to lure them again . and yes of course they are slow they are approaching cautiously . but what it's 5 minutes waiting maybe 7/8 .. a big pig deserves that . my only regret with that thing it's that we can't use it at midnight under the moon :)
Hogtracker

Post by Hogtracker »

I've used it many times. Most of the time the males simply just ignore it and keep walking away. It doesn't always work for trying to see if any are in the area. It's a toss-up. A deer grunt works much better, just ask my wife. It will call in the boar. A hog snort call should be in order.
that0n3guy

Post by that0n3guy »

I once blew one of these on one of the plains at Logger's, trying to bait a hog @ ~150 m. Direct line-of-sight, but the hog had his arse pointing at me, and I was in full field camo, crouched. Hog did not turn around.

Rated poor. Hog attraction not very reliable. Sometimes they came, other times not.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

that0n3guy wrote:I once blew one of these on one of the plains at Logger's, trying to bait a hog @ ~150 m. Direct line-of-sight, but the hog had his arse pointing at me, and I was in full field camo, crouched. Hog did not turn around.

Rated poor. Hog attraction not very reliable. Sometimes they came, other times not.
The hog might have been nervous (because it was spooked recently), then they don't follow calls. Or it was part of a group and the leader of that group was outside of render range - in this case the animal will follow the group and not come to the call. Otherwise an animal not coming to a call is a rare occasion (sometimes happens with trophy sized deer), but usually the caller works like a charm for me...
Image Image Image
james200410

Post by james200410 »

rated average,
Better than nothing
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
that0n3guy wrote:I once blew one of these on one of the plains at Logger's, trying to bait a hog @ ~150 m. Direct line-of-sight, but the hog had his arse pointing at me, and I was in full field camo, crouched. Hog did not turn around.

The hog might have been nervous (because it was spooked recently), then they don't follow calls. Or it was part of a group and the leader of that group was outside of render range - in this case the animal will follow the group and not come to the call. Otherwise an animal not coming to a call is a rare occasion (sometimes happens with trophy sized deer), but usually the caller works like a charm for me...
Also trotting. when hogs are trotting, (which they do a lot) the caller will not work.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Prinz1989 wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:The hog might have been nervous (because it was spooked recently), then they don't follow calls. Or it was part of a group and the leader of that group was outside of render range - in this case the animal will follow the group and not come to the call. Otherwise an animal not coming to a call is a rare occasion (sometimes happens with trophy sized deer), but usually the caller works like a charm for me...
Also trotting. when hogs are trotting, (which they do a lot) the caller will not work.
Very good point, I didn't think of that. It's the same for all species (trotting animals can't be called), but you're right that hogs and boar do trot a lot!
Image Image Image
that0n3guy

Post by that0n3guy »

Prinz1989 wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:

TIL. Thanks for pointing that out.
UNDGND16

Post by UNDGND16 »

I use it all the time and am pretty happy with the results as I dont expect each and every hog to just come running every time I use it ...

But it will be nice if we could do away with the current sound and just replace the sound with the same sound the hogs make ?
For me the sound is a little weird , especially the ending ...

Replicating the call the hogs make would make it that little more realistic ;)

Return to “Store Item Reviews”