Rifles | .30-30 Lever Action Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
20%
1 - Very poor
10%
2 - Poor
18%
3 - Average
26%
4 - Good
15%
5 - Excellent
11%

Total votes: 235
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Rifles | .30-30 Lever Action Rifle

Post by JimboCrow »

I don't know what weapons you own but I love the Bullpup with the 12x50mm scope. Lights out the best utility rifle in the game. It's ugly but it's got it where it counts.
iz_da
Scout

Post by iz_da »

Average, feels like they have less punch than a .243 or .270 on longer distances.
Spoiler:
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

kahuamp wrote:Has this weapon been updated/improved? I would like to buy it, but I hesitate after reading about reduced efficiency past 50-60 meters......I've already got the pump action shotgun , which I reckon gives the same results over longer distances.

Sure would like to see more ballistic realism.......since it's so weak past 60 meters, then it's only another skin for the shotgun, looking like a rifle.....
I'm actually surprised to see this weapon rated as low as it is. I'm a huge fan of it for the smaller deer species (roe, whitetail, blacktail, muleys, etc), and for coyotes & wolves. I've taken it for sheep too, and like it for that. That lever action allows for some quick follow-up shots and it has a nice scope option.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Rated "Average" based on in-game performance and comparison to real world performance. This rifle is a good, close-range alternative to the .243Win bolt action.

Advantages:
*6-shot capacity; Note there is a "dud" round being ejected after the initial loading.
*Reasonably quick action for follow-up shots; approximately 30-35rpm; I averaged 1.8s between shots @level 3.
*Permitted for game from coyote to boars/hogs; a true "deer" rifle; same "permitted game" list as the .270Win.
*Aesthetically pleasing to look at.

Disadvantages:
*Limited optimal range; Wound times are noticeably longer as distances increase past 50m.
*Approximately ~7.4s for a full reload.
*Only 1 optic available at the time of this review that is ONLY compatible with the other levergun in .30-06Spg.; 4-8x32mm (26 Feb, 2017).

The store description makes .30-30Win on par with the .270Win regarding "permitted" game, however the performance starts to differ as range increases. Realistically, the .30-30Win is suitable for game from foxes to black bears, but not in here sadly. I am assuming the balancing decision was like this for leverguns:
*.30-30 170gr JFN: Varmint-Medium Game
*.30-06 180gr JRN: Medium Game-Large Game

In spite of its shorter optimal range, I like the rifle. Just treat it like a shotgun in regards to tactics. I've taken game with one round at ranges shorter than 30m. I DO NOT mount the scope. Within the optimal range, a scope is not necessary anyway. I would like to see the species list expanded and the ballistics improved, but we shall see.
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Eraser_SK
Outfitter

Post by Eraser_SK »

Rated Very poor... after boost of .223 is now the worst rifle in the game. I dont know for what is good rifle when you cant penetrate small buck from 70m... DONT BUY IT!!!
Graidlyz
Spotter

Post by Graidlyz »

The gun looks good, it is permitted for the exact same species as .270 and Blaser R8, but rated poor since its weakness makes it difficult to take down the permitted animals, would've been good if it was permitted for smaller game such as foxes or bobcat.
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

Eraser_SK wrote:Rated Very poor... after boost of .223 is now the worst rifle in the game.
Well said! ;)
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

Rated Average. The Lone Star, and even its non-premium version look amazing. It is however a gun that desires very good shot placement as wounding power seems very lacking. Its by far not as wow-factor as the 30-06
Hunter.Glass

Post by Hunter.Glass »

One of my least favorite rifles in the game. Where do I begin? Oh lets mention the fact that it can't hit 150 yards accurately, I shot at a wolf that was like 150 yards or so away with the crosshairs directly on the wolf, and when I went to the area I shot the wolf in, no blood. It lacks power, accuracy, and apparently range. It's a good looking rifle traditionally, but other than that, not recommended, sorry. :(
~Glass
Favorite Caliber: .300 - Favorite Species: Bear - Hunting Since: 2015 - PC: AMD 1500X, 12GB, 1050 Ti
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

I don't know what's purpose of this rifle. It has horrible performance on anything bigger than whitetail and as cool as it looks, we already have .30-06, which is excellent gun that completely overshadows .30-30.

A real .30-30 is comparable in power to .243, so maybe if its permitted list would be changed to that of .243, it would give this weapon some use in the game?

Return to “Store Item Reviews”