The Long Shot (Whitetail)

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
Diskid86

The Long Shot (Whitetail)

Post by Diskid86 »

I'm working my way through the whitetail deer missions and have been stuck on "The Long Shot" for a while.

I haven't had a problem finding and taking down deer, though the 8 point requirement buck for the mission has been eluding me. Any advice or is this just random luck?

Secondly, as a guest user (saving up for membership) I only have my .243 and 12 GA Shotgun in my arsenal. I haven't tried the shotgun with longshots, mostly because I always assumed the rifle would be the better choice for long distances. However, the long distance shots with the rifle I have tried leave me wondering if the .243 is up to the job of taking a deer down at 377 feet or if I need to improve my weapons skill with that weapon as 9 times out of 10 I'm shooting the shotgun. Are either of these weapons up to the task? If they aren't, can you recommend one that is?
killertut
Master Hunter

Re: The Long Shot (Whitetail)

Post by killertut »

go to loggers point for this mission, try the towers.
it is fairly easy to get a shot on far away whitetail bucks because of the open terrain.
8 pointers are really common and it will be only a matter of time until you find one at the correct distance.
the 243. is not the most powerful gun, but better than using your shotgun at the required distance. try to get lung shots when the animal is showing it's broadside.

Feedback on my work as a moderator is always welcome!
LEFLOR
Scout

Post by LEFLOR »

The .243 is a good caliber at long distance, with the x4 scope I killed several WT at + 500ft (Max. at 682 for me), aiming for lung / heart (shoulder) when the WT is stopped. The zero setting is at 328ft with scope, if the animal is farther, aim a little more towards the top of the shoulder.
Diskid86

Post by Diskid86 »

Thanks for the help. I finally bagged him today, after a few heartbreaking attempts at ones just shy of the 115 meter distance I needed.

Only a 65 score, but 10 points.
killertut
Master Hunter

Post by killertut »

well done! :)

Feedback on my work as a moderator is always welcome!
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

If you're looking to take very long-range shots with good accuracy for a quick kill more in the future, check out this video (not my vid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmunjW ... e=youtu.be

It helped me a LOT, rather than waiting for a stopped animal broadside and hitting intestines, or having an animal move slightly, I found this to really be a much better way to ensure lungshots. It worked quite well for close-range bowshots, as well. Basically it's about shooting between the scapula (upper arm/"collarbone" equivalent) and neck, or on the reverse, behind the armpit where it connects to the body. Either, angled right, passes the projectile through both lungs.

The .243 CAN be used for long-ranged shots, but try for lungs. Even so I wouldn't recommend bothering with long-range Ibex shots with it. I've had lung-shot ibex get up the mountains before dying, meaning unretrievable, whereas at least with deer you can quickly track them down.

Return to “Missions”