See hunting route in statistics

HD_Artworks
Outfitter

See hunting route in statistics

Post by HD_Artworks »

Hi, everyone.
I hope you have a great time and having fun. ;)

Usually, sometimes I check my friend's statistics and see what they hunt and what weapon they used and where they go to hunting and of course, where they find big trophy animals.
Today a feature comes to my mind and I think that will make the statistics more precise.

First, just look at this picture:

I think you know what this button does! When we press it, the map of that reserve the player was hunting will open as a pop-up and we can see where the player goes to hunt animals. Just like the route that you can see in the in-game's map.
This will help a lot to newbie players and they can see where they can find specific animals.

So, what do you think guys?
I don't know if this will be hard to implement or not. I think David can clarify that! :D

Thanks,
Hossein.
Season Stats
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: See hunting route in statistics

Post by caledonianblues »

It's a nice idea, but I'm thinking it's a lot of data to save for every hunt ;)
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Thank for the reply, David.
I thought that. So, there could be a time limit to see the Hunting Route. Like Taxidermize option.
For example, the hunting Route will disable after 1 days(24 hrs). Or even 2 days if EW could save it! :P
Season Stats
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

It could be done, in theory. The data would have to be written, then the function to display/map the route would have to be created. That's at least a few days of work right there, which someone would have to pay for ;)

Before, you used to be able to see the route a player took when tracking a harvested animal. I'm not sure why that was removed, but if I had to guess I would say to reduce database writes.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

caledonianblues wrote:It could be done, in theory. The data would have to be written, then the function to display/map the route would have to be created. That's at least a few days of work right there, which someone would have to pay for ;)

Before, you used to be able to see the route a player took when tracking a harvested animal. I'm not sure why that was removed, but if I had to guess I would say to reduce database writes.
It wasn't necessarily the route, but all the identified tracks from the time it was shot to when it was harvested. I too suspect it was a lot of data.

If the amount of data is too much to store on the server, how about having a local log that stores the route, as well as a bunch of other hunt information? (tracks, shots, harvests, ingame messages, etc...)
You would not be able to view others routes directly, but players could share them if they chose to.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Tod1d wrote:If the amount of data is too much to store on the server, how about having a local log that stores the route, as well as a bunch of other hunt information? (tracks, shots, harvests, ingame messages, etc...)
You would not be able to view others routes directly, but players could share them if they chose to.
No reason other than the roadmap already being pretty full. Something would have to be pushed back or removed. It's a question for Alena really. Given that this is a low priority and has not been requested by anyone else that I can recall, I somehow can't see it happening any time soon.

The problem with writing to a local file is that the data would either have to be written constantly or stored in memory within the client then dumped to the file at the end of the session. With the latter, a crash or improper exit from the game could potentially interrupt that process.

Also, as that file becomes bigger, it becomes more tricky for the launcher to read. Also, only the launcher would be able to display the data from the local file. Otherwise, if trying to view it from the website, that data would have to be sent back and forth each time. That would be bandwidth that would instantly increase the Google App Engine costs.

Lots of things to consider.
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Thanks guys for the reply. Your right, David. Lot of things to consider.

But EW can implement this feature in other way.
For example, After the player press the Quit button, the game will take a screenshot from the map and save it in the game's directory(locally). Then the screenshot will remove from the server to save data. The screenshot file size shouldn't be more than 100kb with jpg format.
So, when the player press the Hunting Route button, the screenshot will load from the PC.

Players can see the map where the animal hunted in the animal's statistics. So, the only thing is needed is the Hunting Route.
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

caledonianblues wrote: Lots of things to consider.
I hadn't considered a viewer. Only a man-readable text log that you could view with any text editor. Although a dump of the game map with the route would also be cool.
I'm sure one of our clever programmer type players could create a viewer, relieving EW of the burden. ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “Website suggestions”