Better connections between forum and game

TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Better connections between forum and game

Post by TundraPuppy »

Have you considered linking theHunter accounts with forum accounts? This would let use do two things:

First, it might be nice if there was a button similar to the "Online" button that also let us know if someone was hunting in a multiplay game, and clicking the button would take us to the "Find a Multiplayer Game" screen on http://www.thehunter.com/servers/ with that person's game selected. This would make it easier to jump into your friends games, or games that someone might be advertising on the forum.

Similarly, it would be nice if you could click on a link near someone's name and be taken to their thehunter user page.
BlindTyldak
Outfitter

Re: Better connections between forum and game

Post by BlindTyldak »

I'm not sure if there is a phpBB plug-in to do quite that . . . these boards are more generic and not directly tied to the game like some game forums are (Warcraft comes to mind, where clicking on a person's name brings you to their armory page so you can check out their character/stats/guild/etc.). There might be something where a person could opt to provide a Hunter account name and have it linked in their profile similar to how some people have used their Hunter account name to generate their signature, but I can't think of any way that it could be done automatically since our forum accounts and our Hunter accounts are two separate things.
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Post by TundraPuppy »

I would not expect there is an existing phpBB mod to do that - it's more of a suggestion that someone from the hunter staff (maybe a good project for an intern?) could write a phpBB mod to do it. There isn't any existing functionality to do it as far as I can see; I think it's too specific of an application. Would need to be done from scratch.

The reason I suggested this is it feels like - as you said - the hunter accounts and forum accounts are really two separate things. It might be nice if they felt like they merged together a little more fluidly. Helping bridge the community with the gaming, and vice versa.
SeeDoe
Scout

Post by SeeDoe »

I'm sure someone will be able to figure this out soon enough and we'll have a generator for this too lol
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Linking to a hunter's profile on theHunter.com could be done automatically if 1) game names & forum names were the same, or 2) there was a field added to the forum profile for hunter name, and it was filled out. (this would make it optional. If you don't want people to see it just don't enter your game name in your profile)

The link to the hunter's profile is simply: www.thehunter.com/<hunter name>

Something like the bear-claw icon next to the forum members name in their posts/profiles would be relatively simple to implement.

Likewise, a link to a hunter's forum profile from their hunter profile might be nice too.

Linking to the "Find a multi-player game" page, and showing "online" status for the game would both require mods to the game website.
It would require 2 enhancements: 1) including guests in the search for a MP game, and 2) enabling the search from a URL. (e.g. www.thehunter.com/servers/?search=Tod1d)

The general idea of making the game & forum more integrated I really like.
Honestly, I find it a little annoying when someone uses different names for both. (But I deal with it.) :)

+1
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
SeeDoe
Scout

Post by SeeDoe »

Is it possible to change my forum name to match my Game name? I think i've looked before but couldn't find out if I could or not.
Hawkeman
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeman »

I find it a bit annoying too... ;)

In my opinion the game account name and the forum account name should be the same.

HUMOR IS THE SPICE OF LIFE
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

bjodasso wrote:Is it possible to change my forum name to match my Game name? I think i've looked before but couldn't find out if I could or not.
Yes. PM Alena
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
SeeDoe
Scout

Post by SeeDoe »

So this is completely experimental at this point, and i'm hosting this on a free php hosting site. But here is something simple I came up with for showing a player's server status.
If they are hosting or in a MP game, they would see a message saying what server they are in, what reserve the hunt is in, and the time it's been up.
Otherwise you would see "User is not currently in multiplayer". I'm sure they could come up with something official if I was able to do this in an afternoon.
to test it out and se what it looks like with someone in-game, just replace the user's game name in this code.

Code: Select all

[img]http://bjodasso.webuda.com/imggen.php?user=SeeDoe[/img]

Return to “Forums Feedback & Suggestions”