Resolution of pics posted in forum.

ForstHeld
Outfitter

Resolution of pics posted in forum.

Post by ForstHeld »

I just noticed that the resolution for pics is now limited to 950 pixel wide pics. After going after the signatures now this happens. For me it looks like instead of upgrade the servers the solution is to shrink the possibilities for the users.

A few month now the resizing of the official pics by editing the link (add 950x950) doesnt work so i choose a image hoster that allows me to resize the pics. But obv they resize to common sizes like 800x600 or 1024x768 and not 950.

To post and look at pics was the most of the fun in the forum. But these sudden, unexpected and not announced changes in the forumpolicy (like the sigs) are so annoying.

Until there is no easy workaround to post the pics i will stop post pics.
CowboyFromHell

Re: Resolution of pics posted in forum.

Post by CowboyFromHell »

+1 on this Forst_Held
Same on the german Forum. Would be great to see this fixed.
DonderDeer
Outfitter

Post by DonderDeer »

While I think it's important to fix the automatic official resizing system, you also must realize that this is not to "shrink the possibilities of users", but to keep the forums looking professional and clean for everyone no matter what computer resolution they're using. I've been an active member on over 50 very large forums in my time and this is not a "new" trend.

If you want to allow users to view your oversized screen-stretching pictures, you can easily link to the full image using the forum's preset link BBC.

I do however, support a less restrictive BBC. BBC when fully functional would allow the resizing of images forum-side through a clause like this:

Code: Select all

[img=50%]image url here[/img]
or this:

Code: Select all

[img=100x200]image url here[/img]
:)
homk
Flanker305
Trophy Hunter

Post by Flanker305 »

< Moved to 'Thoughts & Suggestions ‹ Forums Feedback & Suggestions' section >
ForstHeld
Outfitter

Post by ForstHeld »

Moved to where nobody find it ;-)
Flanker305
Trophy Hunter

Post by Flanker305 »

Forst_Held wrote:Moved to where nobody find it ;-)
Moved to where it belongs. New posts always appear on top of the 'New Posts' list. It will be seen, don't worry.
chinchillaofdoom
Tracker

Post by chinchillaofdoom »

I was interested in this thread earlier, had to search for 5 minutes to find it again. Generally if a post is moved, it gives a Moved -> redirect, but this one was lacking it...
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

We're working on getting an image resizing function in place, for some reason it stopped working. Until it's fixed, we've limited the resolution of pictures, because, as DonderDeer pointed out, too big pictures mess up the look of the forums and make it difficult to follow the discussion.
ChrisMK72
Outfitter

Post by ChrisMK72 »

Forst_Held wrote:I just noticed that the resolution for pics is now limited to 950 pixel wide pics. After going after the signatures now this happens. For me it looks like instead of upgrade the servers the solution is to shrink the possibilities for the users.

A few month now the resizing of the official pics by editing the link (add 950x950) doesnt work so i choose a image hoster that allows me to resize the pics. But obv they resize to common sizes like 800x600 or 1024x768 and not 950.

To post and look at pics was the most of the fun in the forum. But these sudden, unexpected and not announced changes in the forumpolicy (like the sigs) are so annoying.

Until there is no easy workaround to post the pics i will stop post pics.
I just saw that myself, that i could not post a pic above 950 pixels.

I did it that way ....

1. made a pic with fraps

2. opened the pic with paint (standard it is in C/fraps/screenshots or something)

3. clicked on resize

4. changed to pixels instead of percent%

5. changed the bigger number to 950, while aspect ratio stays the same

6. clicked in the menue save as and changed to jpg picture

7. saved it with 950 pixels and jpg

8. went to an upload page for example http://www.directupload.net/ (works with every other upload page)

9. searched for the directory on my pc , where i saved it with fraps ( for axample C/fraps/screenshots )

10. clicked on load up

11. copied the link on the upload page with "ctrl C"

12. make a posting and paste the link into the posting with "ctrl v"

There you have the pic with 950 pixels and jpg.

It's something like this in the end :

Last edited by ChrisMK72 on February 14th, 2014, 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

... and for trophy shots, instead of using Fraps, just go to your trophy's page, click on thumbnail and when big picture opens, right-click on it, then choose "Save picture as...". Choose a suitable name for it and follow Chris' routine, starting with "2."
Spoiler:

Return to “Forums Feedback & Suggestions”