Sunglasses bug

This forum is for reporting bugs or glitches found in equipment (Inventory Items). Please use the kind of equipment name in the topic title with description, titles with only "found a bug", "bug" and alike will be deleted.
Example title: Muzzleloader, Red Deer Caller.
Elrique64
Spotter

Sunglasses bug

Post by Elrique64 »

I was having a devil of a time tracking blood trails and tracks in Whiterime Ridge against the glare of the sun on the snow. Since I personally knew that sunglasses can be extremely helpful IRL against this glare, I finally decided I needed to buy a pair of sunglasses to help reduce the glare, so I could find animals to hunt and to harvest the animals I had shot.

Imagine the surprise I had, to put these glasses on and find that the glare INCREASED instead of decreased. Here are 2 sets of examples, with and without the glasses:

First shot without:
First shot with:
Second shot without:
Second shot with:

After looking at these screen shots it should appear obvious that there is something not right here. I have to turn the gamma all the way down in the game in order to get even these results. Filters and things like sunglasses actually reduce the available light, not increase it, IRL. These glasses appear to amplify the ambient light instead of reduce it and tint it to the yellow cast of the lenses. Details in the clouds, sky and surrounding snow are blown out completely. Trees and bushes lose all detail and t he landscape becomes a muddle mess of blown out highlights. (Similar to over-exposing a photograph.) Finding any kind of track in this is, well, hard...

This is a bug, and if it's not going to be address I request a refund of the EM$ spent on purchasing the item.
Our freedoms have been bought by the blood of our Veterans. Pay them back with love, kindness and support.

Bill_Dauterive

Re: Sunglasses bug

Post by Bill_Dauterive »

You need the black sunglasses to deal with glare. The yellow glasses are for bringing out detail in low light areas or contrasting animals against darker objects (eg. an Ibex on a mountain side). A lot of hunters, shooters and even soldiers IRL wear them for this very reason.

I personally own and use both, depending on what I'm hunting.
Elrique64
Spotter

Post by Elrique64 »

Yet the description of these glasses says "Protect your eyes against the scorching sun and the dazzling whiteness of snow, all while looking cool!"

If that is the intent, that it increase contrast, but not reduce glare, then the text in the description needs to be changed.

I use Serengeti Drivers IRL when I hunt, usually. They reduce glare as well as increase contrast. They do NOT amplify the available light to the point that it washes out details as these glasses seem to do in game.

This is still what I consider a bug. As a photographer, adding a filter reduces light, even those that are "blue blockers" (or contrast enhancing.) They never amplify light. This effect is what I would expect if I over-exposed the photograph if I were looking at one. That means it's not reducing light, but actually seems to be amplifying it.

In any case, based on the description, I didn't get what I thought I was getting when I made the purchase.
Our freedoms have been bought by the blood of our Veterans. Pay them back with love, kindness and support.

TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Elrique64 wrote:Yet the description of these glasses says "Protect your eyes against the scorching sun and the dazzling whiteness of snow, all while looking cool!"

If that is the intent, that it increase contrast, but not reduce glare, then the text in the description needs to be changed.

I use Serengeti Drivers IRL when I hunt, usually. They reduce glare as well as increase contrast. They do NOT amplify the available light to the point that it washes out details as these glasses seem to do in game.

This is still what I consider a bug. As a photographer, adding a filter reduces light, even those that are "blue blockers" (or contrast enhancing.) They never amplify light. This effect is what I would expect if I over-exposed the photograph if I were looking at one. That means it's not reducing light, but actually seems to be amplifying it.

In any case, based on the description, I didn't get what I thought I was getting when I made the purchase.
Hey Elrique, thanks for pointing out the error in the description. We will get this updated to reflect the other pair of yellow glasses.

Sorry for the issue and if you would like something changed in your account please send me a PRIVATE message with the details.

Just to address the affect these glasses have, they work exactly the same as the yellow tint glasses I have used in real life, both professionally and in recreational situations. I would not want to wear them on a bright sunny day in the snow, my eyes ache thinking about it :D . They are intended for use in low light settings and they do enhance the available light in real life. Thanks for bringing up this issue and like I say please contact me so we can put things right for you.

Tk
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

TreeKiwi wrote:they do enhance the available light in real life.
You know that that's physically impossible, right?

And that's why I fully agree with Elrique64. The yellow glasses don't work like one would expect them to.
Actually, neither do the dark tinted ones. While bringing down the shadows, they do very little to the highlights.

When hunting WRR, I find myself constantly wishing for cloud cover. With my normal screen setting, it is unplayable in the sunlight, sunglasses or not.
I find myself constantly adjusting my screen's brightness, contrast and gamma to not get a migraine within minutes. Which is a pain, because I use this monitor for serious work.
Either it's just horribly designed, or EW doesn't use calibrated screens.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Of course: no lenses can ever make the light more intense, that's physically impossible as far as I know. The impression that the light gets more intense and the vision enhances is usually the result of a change in contrast and the way our eyes adapt. But since the in-game glasses don't increase contrast at all and even the track domes change in the same way as the whole display, they won't help much, they are purely cosmetic.
Image Image Image
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

I am not sure if we are arguing different points and well I don't know the science behind it all, but I do know after using them lots in real life that using yellow glasses help immensely in low light situations. I have had to get up at sparrows fart for my old work daily and climbing around in a thick tree canopy there is so much light reduction on top of the already low light of morning. The yellow glasses make working much easier and I can see details clearer. So you can say what you like, but I know they work great in low light and maybe I picked the wrong words, but they do enhance my vision in low light and make details stand out more. Watch the streams or videos I have done of shooting with the yellow glasses in game, I can't shoot without them now. So I feel the in game yellow tinted glasses do as intended in the early morning hours.
Elrique64
Spotter

Post by Elrique64 »

The yellow lenses don't amplify or increase available light. They work the way they do by blocking or reducing the color spectrum that can cause human eyes the most difficulty in determining contrast. Specifically blue shades. While they don't really "block" blue, they do reduce the amounts of blue present in a given ambient situation. (Some blue is always going to be present, unless you have a very strong yellow filter on the lens.) True blue objects become green. Yellows are intensified, reds become oranges, etc.

Back in the days of black and white photography, yellow filters were used to increase contrast hitting the film during a photograph. The principal is the same. The problem with these filters is the camera's settings had to be adjusted as much as a full stop to take into account the light levels dropped off by using the filter. As a photographer I'm quite versed in making those adjustments, and for most of the filters in my bag, I had the cases marked for the adjustments needed off the metered scene. (Each case had either a +1/3. +2/3, +1. etc. to reflect the additional stops needed to correctly expose for a given scene.)

Blue blocking lenses can and do increase contrast, just as my Serengeti Drivers would do. (Another "blue blocker" type of lens.) But the contrast brought OUT details that were generally already washed out to begin with.

I can give you the scientific formulas involved, if you want them. Might take a bit of digging to find those old school books from the 1980's... (Yes, pre-digital!) I will send you a PM as well. And I hope the description gets worded in a manner that truly makes sense. (Increases contrast in low light conditions. NOT for snowy or bright scenes!)

Return to “Equipment / Gear”