ideas for guest hunting (cycling free reserve instead of free species)

Bigbubba53!

ideas for guest hunting (cycling free reserve instead of free species)

Post by Bigbubba53! »

I would love to see The Hunter Classic change the way hunting as a guest works. I believe that instead of having the free animals that cycle every Thursday just make a whole reserve free to hunt on. This will give guests the chance to hunt animals that they may not have hunted before or may not have ever bothered to hunt. It's kind of annoying when the animals that are free to hunt are spread out over different reserves. I would love for a change like this to happen.
Last edited by Tanngnjostr on February 8th, 2018, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarified topic title
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Re: ideas for guest hunting (cycling free reserve instead of free species)

Post by MooseHunter330 »

I'm going to sum up pretty much all the replies you are going to get:

It's not supposed to be convenient, if you want convenience you have to buy a membership.
The game cannot be developed if everybody could hunt a complete reserve conveniently for every week.
Use the search function, this has been suggested multiple times already.

Nothing personal, but it's just the way it has to be.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

It's not a terrible idea. It wouldn't be too different to what guests get now, it would just be a bit more convenient for them. Granted, it would increase the number of animals available to hunt on some reserves.

If I had to vote I would probably be in favour of this, but the compromise would be to lock the other reserves until they're in rotation, and prevent guests from joining multiplayer games in reserves which are locked. The problem is this would negate the incentive to buy licenses.

Ultimately though, I think enough has already been done to accommodate guests and improve the guest experience. It should be a taster to allow players to decide whether they're in or out. It shouldn't be a long term option to play as a guest. I don't think any changes are needed, but this isn't really a bad idea.

Just my opinion. I have nothing against guest players, whatsoever. I just wish more guests would become members. The risk is that if the guest offering becomes too attractive, not only does it reduce conversion, it creates the risk of losing members to the guest offering. Neither of those scenarios are good.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

As I wrote on the beginnig of my virtual hunter's carreer, I really like some features of guest account. And I didn't change my mind. Limitations to allowed to hunt animal's list was and it is one of this features. And while I have nothing against this idea, I don't feel it is needed. To be honest, I would change entire guest account concept into free to play demo. Rules would be the same, but account would be valid only for some time - for example for a week. Then one would have to decide if he/she want tu upgrage to membership, or resign (account would still exist, but would be un-active). Why? Because in my opinion guest account is a demo, really. And game' is "constructed" in such way, that one will need to spend some money either way, to fully experience what game offers, like bison, waterfowl, and so on. So one need at least have to buy some additional weapons, and then buying the membership is natural move to have a free ammo. Well... maybe I'm exaggerating... But my point is, that now EW creates an illusion of "free to play game". While this is not fully untrue, it might be missleading, when one compare to some other, real f2p games. But, this is just my opinion. :P
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I doubt you will ever see this change, for a couple reasons.

As Sherab mentioned, and I fully agree, the "free to play" part of this game is almost intended to be a demo, not an actual free game. For the most part, almost all animals can be killed for free (except bison, banteng and water buffalo), and all maps can be accessed without ever having to spend a cent on the game, it just requires waiting for the animals to cycle through the free list. So I suppose in this way, it really is free to play. That said, the company likely isn't going to do anything to further encourage people to play for free, as free players don't pay their bills.

Right now there are three permanently free species (whitetail, euro rabbit, pheasant) and two free species that change weekly. I would think the three permanently free species could be good enough for free players on their own, as all three offer a different style of hunting. However, EW cycles the other free animals to offer a vareity to guests. Since you never really know what those animals will be, it's more of a teaser than anything. These limitations on what you're allowed to hunt, and never knowing when something specific will be huntable, is a key element in encouraging free players to just buy a membership so they don't have to deal with waiting.

What you suggest means every species in the game will be huntable, some more frequently than others, within a three month period. If the map changes every week and there are 12 maps, then in three months a guest can experience the entire game and all species. That takes away from the bottom line of encouraging people to buy memberships. Why would someone want to buy a membership if they can be gauranteed their favorite animal can be hunted for free at least one week every three months (or in the case of some species, much more than that. For example, moose will be huntable 3/12 weeks, bobcats 4/12 weeks, and feral hogs 5/12 weeks).

Plus, you mentioned convenience. I'm convinced inconvenience is what sells memberships to many players. People don't want to wait to hunt their favorite animal and they don't want to have to keep changing maps to hunt. That inconvenience is the key that leads down one of three routes for players-- they quit playing because they don't want to pay, they pay and don't have to worry about such inconveniences, or the learn to make do with what they have (as Shera did for a while, enjoying those limitations and imagining them as hunting seasons).
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

I took a SWAG and looked up the OP...guess what? A guest. They get more than enough free now. No more EW, please. Just my opinion, but guests should get a free .243, WHI, WTs, and that's it. That's what the rest of us (those who have supported EW for years) got when we started. There was no shortage of growth in the game and memberships then.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

BigBubba53, welcome to the forum! Buy a membership. Just do it. It's only 10 cents a day, at most 11 if you only buy 3 months at a time. I'll bet you could scrape up $10 every 3 months in no time, right? Hell, a bag of potato chips is $1.00, a coke is $1.50. Think about it. It's peanuts. And then you won't have to watch the rotation, you can just go hunting on any reserve you want to, and kill any animal you want to anytime you want to do it, no holds barred. And of course then there's the astoundingly simple fact that when you buy a membership your chances to bag a RARE go way up, because you own ALL of the licences! Surely you wouldn't want to miss out on one of those beauties would you? That would be a major disappointment. So buy a membership and save yourself all that grief. Don't think about it. Just do it. And when you're a member add me to your friend list! Jim. :)
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

JimboCrow wrote:BigBubba53, welcome to the forum! Buy a membership. Just do it. It's only 10 cents a day, at most 11 if you only buy 3 months at a time. I'll bet you could scrape up $10 every 3 months in no time, right? Hell, a bag of potato chips is $1.00, a coke is $1.50. Think about it. It's peanuts. And then you won't have to watch the rotation, you can just go hunting on any reserve you want to, and kill any animal you want to anytime you want to do it, no holds barred. And of course then there's the astoundingly simple fact that when you buy a membership your chances to bag a RARE go way up, because you own ALL of the licences! Surely you wouldn't want to miss out on one of those beauties would you? That would be a major disappointment. So buy a membership and save yourself all that grief. Don't think about it. Just do it. And when you're a member add me to your friend list! Jim. :)
Well said, Jimbo. Way better than me. I kind of shoot from the hip when I see posts like that.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”