Animal targets for every species please!

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Animal targets for every species please!

Post by caledonianblues »

SoftShoe wrote:I may be talking through my hat since I dont know what engine theHunter uses but so long as it isnt archaic the mods we are suggesting shouldnt be a problem.
A proprietary one, and it is archaic. A decade old, with limited tools and no dedicated tools developer. Doing what can sometimes seem like a trivial task often turns out to be a colossal headache. Some great ideas have even had to be thrown in the bin because their implementation represents more hassle and cost than the projected return warrants.
SoftShoe wrote:1st off the notion of will creating something be worthwhile to EW is frankly foolish. Every single update, addition & mod adds to the products value making the consumer that much more likely to want to spend their money on the game. Making a new map/weapon/animal is never a waste. There is always someone somewhere out there that is willing to spend money to get it.
Whilst you're correct in principle, you must remember that this is a niche game. Not only does that mean it has a limited target audience to begin with, but it also has a subscription model which turns a lot of the target audience away. So yes, chances are there will always be someone that is willing to spend money for new features. The question is whether enough will be willing to. There's a mix of opinions when it comes to new features and how/whether they should be monetised. A lot of players balk at the idea of new content not being included in membership fees, and 3D animal targets is probably one of the things that would fall into that category given the fact there are already some in the game which didn't have to be purchased separately.
SoftShoe wrote:Hell there are a number of things I would love to see in game. I will even model & skin them gratis if EW will put them in game.
This is an extremely generous offer. To my knowledge though, such arrangements are not possible due to difficulties associated with remote access to systems.
SoftShoe wrote:Unless they contract out for their talent they have CGI artists, coders, animators on the payroll. These folks need to be doing something daily to justify their salary.
The game is developed by an extremely small team, but everyone who works on theHunter is on the payroll and has plenty to do. They have a jam-packed roadmap with barely enough free time to go back and fix issues. So any new content that gets added to the roadmap has to go through all sorts of planning and design before it gets considered for inclusion.
SoftShoe wrote:Finally doing this is not a major project.
Nothing ever is. Until you try to do it in theHunter. I did some work on the game as a consultant, and I said that about a number of things. How wrong I was.
SoftShoe wrote:Instead make theHunter free for 2 weeks then either become a member or stop playing. There are a number of games out there that do exactly this. All of them cater to niche markets which this definitely is as well. For those of us that love it 30 something bucks a year is nothing.
I wholeheartedly agree.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Thanks for the peek behind the scenes as it were. I guess they have their work cut out for them & we should be delighted that we have what we do have.

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

You look at the UHC site and you realize... if even David says it can't be done, it can't be done! :lol:
Image Image Image
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Tanngnjostr wrote:if even David says it can't be done, it can't be done! :lol:
It absolutely could be done! It would also be a really neat feature. I've even asked for it myself in the past. It's just a question of whether they want to do it. When they have x amount of time and need to generate y revenue, it influences what goes on the roadmap. A sad reality but one every business faces.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

CapnQuint wrote:In red feather falls they have a target range where the targets are replicas of moose, white tail, and black bear. This target range is an awesome place to practice shot placement because the targets tell you what organs you hit, however it only has those three animals. They need to add another range like this, but this time, with every animal in the game (probably excluding birds and rabbits). This would be extremely helpful, especially on the biggest animals like water buffalo. I use the red feather target range every time I get a new weapon to get a feel for it's power and penetration, and I recommend the range for every new player I meet.
It probably wouldn't be hard to put a few target replications in for target practice to learn where to hit them at.
Besides that,.. it probably wouldn't be too profitable making other mini game map shooting ranges, with the time and work it would take.
Mini-Game costs would have to be made in $Em even if a small fee trickled in to make profit with each digital ticket you would buy. A ticket could cost $10 em to allow one use on the range and save your score. A walk through 3d target range would be probably more fun and repetitiously addicting to play.
IMO there are other priorities that need met for the game then another mini-game for target practicing right now, even if it sounds like it would be a great new game feature,
but... it(the idea) is a non-essential element for keeping the game on track as a hunting subject.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

gas56 wrote:A walk through 3d target range would be probably more fun and repetitiously addicting to play.
Absolutely! As a real life 3D archery addict, I think that I would probably spend more time on the range than actually hunting :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
CapnQuint
Tracker

Post by CapnQuint »

Well it actually kind of happened! Odds are this thread had nothing to do with it, but it's cool to see our ideas sort of become reality. Still would have wanted them to be 3D models with organ detection, but setting up our own ranges is awesome!
Exploatores

Post by Exploatores »

something like a video wall, where you can project any animal. a specialy when it comes to birds shooting at a stationarie bird is kind of pointless.

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”