Africa vs. Aussie jungle, why not Africa?

baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Africa vs. Aussie jungle, why not Africa?

Post by baloo.the.dog »

It seems that our problem with having an African reserve is that it would have to have completely new animals and new terrain, however, we raised the bar on that when we created the Bushrangers Run (very different from same ol' Whitehart/Loggers Pt.). and we pretty much created 6 new species for Whiterime Ridge.
I couldn't imagine having this map without creating a completely new list of animals. So why did we choose Austrailian jungle vs. an African map? It has been the most asked for map, and so far there are no excuses for not having it. So why is it that we chose this random map in Austrailia? I didn't even know they had a tropical jungle in Austrailia??
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Re: Africa vs. Aussie jungle, why not Africa?

Post by Ravenousfox »

baloo.the.dog wrote: I didn't even know they had a tropical jungle in Austrailia??
Wow.
Because it's the perfect opportunity to add Fallow Deer to the game. ;)
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

I believe this subject was discussed quite recently, but can't find quickly the thread. But this was about devs concerns about "morality" of this setting, to express this shortly. With many of African animals being endengered, big problem of poaching in Africa, and sensitivity for the subject of international community, I can understand this explanation to some point. However we have some relatively rare animals in the game already (like bison I believe). But I suppose they do not bring up such hot debates, as african poachers, ivory, rhinos horns and so on.

I was hoping for India to be new setting, by the way (and realisticaly expecting maybe russian taiga). ;)
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Sherab86 wrote:With many of African animals being endengered, big problem of poaching in Africa, and sensitivity for the subject of international community, I can understand this explanation to some point. However we have some relatively rare animals in the game already (like bison I believe). But I suppose they do not bring up such hot debates, as african poachers, ivory, rhinos horns and so on.
This just goes to show how the Western world has an altered morality when viewing Africa then when viewing itself.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Yeah, I agree with you.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Pretty sure at this point they would never meet the expectations of people for an african reserve anyway. Everyone and their grandmother would want something else for it and even if it would be an awesome creation there would still be a load of unsatisfied people. If i were EW i wouldnt bother to do Africa . Why waste so much money,effort and ressources on anything that will never be "perfect" and still has the potential to backfire really,really hard.

Leave them there creative freedom - theres so much terrain yet to cover and if u look at the awesome last maps i am sure we can expect a pretty high standard for everything new they will come up with in the future.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

D3AKUs wrote:Pretty sure at this point they would never meet the expectations of people for an african reserve anyway. Everyone and their grandmother would want something else for it and even if it would be an awesome creations there would still be a load of unsatisfied people.
Come on, you could say that about any given setting with enough variety of huntable species. And even with some lower variety too - I'm realy dissatisfied by Wild Boars look (even if I enjoy to hunt them). ;P So why to bother to do any new maps at all? ;P

Personaly, I'm not that big fan of Africa, but I would have nothing against it. Australian jungle? Why not? However I wold prefer a setting with some more variety of truly local fauna, and here we can end up with many introduced ones, like with already present Australian setting.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Sherab86 wrote:Personaly, I'm not that big fan of Africa, but I would have nothing against it. Australian jungle? Why not? However I wold prefer a setting with some more variety of truly local fauna, and here we can end up with many introduced ones, like with already present Australian setting.
Ah not sure , i have a feeling the new map will blow everyone away. They kept it secret for so long like they did with the bobcats - and look how awesome they are.
I am sure the map will look and feel and play very different from what we are used too.
I am also really excited for new species to hunt there.
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

Im still not counting an African Reserve out, just yet. Obviously its not going to be this map release, and I hear the points EW has with Africa. but I also recall how stubborn the Devs were with not wanting to EVER implement an AR15 based firearm into the game, an yet here it is. The contrast between the Devs response between the AR and Africa are pretty interesting, they said never to the ar an yet here it is, an they said not until EW felt Thehunter was above reproach on morality and ethical hunting would they implement an African Reserve ... so I think its safe to say we will get it one day, when, only EW knows lol Just keep asking for it, we'll get it one day :D
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Australian Forrest, Arizona plains, Mountains of the -stans, Argentinian or New Zealand stags - there's plenty of room and inspiration for new reserves.

Yet, they have two major caveats:
I) the hunting styles are to some degree already available
and most importantly
II) they are not representing the number 1 hunting destination worldwide

Whatever upcoming reserve they are planning, it won't be mindbogglingly different from what we've got already.
Yes, Fallow or axis deer would be nice. But whether they are in a South american, Asian, Australian or central European map doesn't really matter. And those maps wouldn't be a huge change to what we've got already.
Hunting tahr in New Zealand or Marco Polo sheep in Kyrgyzstan wouldn't be really that different to the available alpine ibex or bighorn, would it?

There are two major game changers for this game.
a) Increased render distance
b) African map

And a) will never happen on the current technical platform due to the interwoven nature of the current set of code and b) is highly doubtful because EW is cautious about the effort and the possibility of a mixed reception.

So they opt for c) keeping the novelty factor just high enough to maintain interest, player base and income

I personally would be OK with them stopping all development and working hard on theHunter classic vol.2
The same game with better graphics, a drastically increased render distance and then maybe some new maps, including Africa.*
But render distance alone would make it such a different game.
Imagine you could spot elk and bighorn from miles away in Timbergold. You could truly apply spot&stalk. Look for the animal you want to go after, anticipate where it might go and plan your move using terrain and wind to get there. That'd be a true gameplay changer.

(*and while they're at it, they could drop the micro transaction system and go for a proper DLC payment system. That'd please a lot of people here and help with their steam reviews as well)
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”