African Reserve

Andrewz55

Re: African Reserve

Post by Andrewz55 »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:
Andrewz55 wrote:
BucksNBuffalo wrote:Guys, seriously. It really doesn't matter if they are hunt able in game even if IRL they are vulnerable or threatened. They are only PIXELS. And it's just a GAME. It's not reality. Games are created as an escapee from reality. TheHunter is not, has never and will never be a simulator. PETA and wildlife groups will not come running in to cry if the Big 5 are hunt able in this game. Cabela's and a few other titles have them in their game and they certainly aren't in any trouble. To release an African reserve and NOT be able to hunt the Big 5 takes most the the draw away in the grand scheme of things. Again, they are only pixels and it's a game. Leave the political and wannabe social advocacy at the door, and embrace the fantasy world of the game.
I agree with you sort of. But think of how the devs did the polar bear. I honestly dont think they will make rhino or lion huntable if polar bear isnt huntable. But i deffinetly dont think that the wwf and those ppl will get on the back of theHunter if we have the big 5. Its just that the community is so split up on having the big 5.
Yes, look at how they did the Polar Bear. And then look at the uproar it caused. And now, take another look at the Polar Bear. Been huntable in the game now for quite some time, eh? ;) EW realized they made a mistake, and that some things sound better on paper than they do in practice, so the Polar Bear restrictions have been gone for a couple of months now. Now, imagine them making the same mistake with any of the African animals? Honestly, as I said it's a GAME, and it is not reality. The community needs to remember that as some tend to get carried away. It does not matter what real life restrictions are, because if that was the case, this entire game would be nothing but a poaching simulator the way it is laid out now. Unlimited bag limits, unlimited seasons, no separate bow/rifle seasons, no antler size limitations, I can go on. Last time I checked, I cannot go out hunting IRL and kill 6 Whitetail, 3 Mule Deer, a bunch of Pheasants, and 3-4 Bull Elk in a day or two. So basically, people only use the "realistic" tag to argue ONLY when it benefits them and their own thoughts. Trust me, as a RL hunter, this game is nowhere near reality and far from a simulator. If this was a true hunting game with all restrictions and varying seasons, you can bet the community would be much, much smaller. Enjoy it for what it is, and that is a good hunting game. Leave all the politically and social correctness out.

BTW, we could say the same thing about the Bison in this game. But of course, no one bats an eye about that one. See what I am saying here? If EW wants to include the Big 5, so be it.
Agree with you !
Wetland
Outfitter

Post by Wetland »

BIG Ditto from me as well to what BucksNBuffalo posted above!!!

Wetland :D
SS0001

Post by SS0001 »

One solution to get around the ethical problem of introducing an African map with the big 5 would be to make the map and equipment historically accurate to the late 19th century.
This would make the map an educational tool about the history of hunting and less of a pouching simulator.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

SS0001 wrote:One solution to get around the ethical problem of introducing an African map with the big 5 would be to make the map and equipment historically accurate to the late 19th century.
This would make the map an educational tool about the history of hunting and less of a pouching simulator.
Man, think for a second. The ENTIRE GAME, from Whitehart to the upcoming Rockies-inspired reserve, IS a poaching simulator. The problem being is people only use the whole "realistic" and "simulator" themes when it suits their own thoughts, such as ethics of the Big 5. It's a GAME, that is all. There are no ethics involved. If that was the road that was to be taken, then this entire game would need an overhaul to conform to proper ethics. Gone would be the no bag limits, gone would be using whatever weapon you want whenever you wanted, gone would be mulitiple species in a "hunting day", the list could go on. The bottom line is, and I have written this numerous times, is people just need to drop the causes and take this game for what it is, and that is a good hunting game. No more, no less. THAT'S the way to get around the "problem of ethics of introducing an African map".
ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

I think you make a good point, and I'm not totally against it, but I'm not sure you can throw ethics completely out the window, game or not. I mean almost nobody has a real issue with being able to mow down 11 whitetails in an hour, given that it's a game. on the other hand, if they had introduced baby seals to WRR and sold concrete tipped clubs for 300 em's in the shop, I'm pretty sure I would not be the only one to cry foul about it. that's an extreme example, obviously, but everybody's line is drawn differently. personally I liked the original Polar Bear idea, I don't like hunting Bison, deep down, so I don't do it much, and I have many problems with bear baiting IRL, so I'm not all that jazzed about it being in game either, again it's a game, and other hunting cultures have a tradition of bear baiting which I grudgingly respect.

the African Poaching issue goes beyond environmentalism and animal welfare issues as well. A lot of poaching is done to supply some pretty unsavory actors in Africa with cashflow, including but not limited to terrorists. I would have issues mowing down elephants and feeling like I'm some flunky for Kony or the Boco Haram. again, I know it's just pixels, but it's depicting a real, and extremely grim problem, and I don't get my jollies that way. an african map with Kudu, wildebeest, buffalo, and the others? sign me right up. add the endangered stuff, I'll probably just go back to RFF or Hirschfelden instead.
SS0001

Post by SS0001 »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:
SS0001 wrote:One solution to get around the ethical problem of introducing an African map with the big 5 would be to make the map and equipment historically accurate to the late 19th century.
Man, think for a second. The ENTIRE GAME, from Whitehart to the upcoming Rockies-inspired reserve, IS a poaching simulator. The problem being is people only use the whole "realistic" and "simulator" themes when it suits their own thoughts, such as ethics of the Big 5. It's a GAME, that is all. There are no ethics involved. If that was the road that was to be taken, then this entire game would need an overhaul to conform to proper ethics. Gone would be the no bag limits, gone would be using whatever weapon you want whenever you wanted, gone would be mulitiple species in a "hunting day", the list could go on. The bottom line is, and I have written this numerous times, is people just need to drop the causes and take this game for what it is, and that is a good hunting game. No more, no less. THAT'S the way to get around the "problem of ethics of introducing an African map".
I do agree, the hunter is just for entertainment like any other PC game. But EW has to weigh up the risk of giving its player’s a map they have been asking for vs media backlash insinuating that EW endorse and encourage the hunting of endangered African animals.
These types of media stories can get a lot of traction worldwide and could really tarnish their reputation.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

African Reserve

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Guys, believe me I do understand where you are coming from. And yes, I do agree about some ethics being needed. But, what you are confusing is ethics wth morality, and a distorted sense of realism. I cannot stress enough that this is a GAME, and GAME ONLY. Games are an escape from reality, that allow you to do things you would never do IRL and give you a sense of wonder. That's all this game is. It is not a simulator, it is not representative of real life hunting situations (to a point), etc. Sure, I agree about the point about seals. But, the thing that point is only opinions because in other countries hunting seals is perfectly legit, so if EW wanted to add it they could regardless. Which brings me to the other point, about media. What?? My friend, there have been many more hunting games that have featured the Big 5 (Cabela's, for example) and look...they are still kicking haha. There will not even be a mention of it in the media because the media understands it's NOT REALITY and just a game. It's gamers that do not understand that. There have been many more controversial and less moral titles out there that have been picked up by the ENTERTAINMENT media, not the news and "current flavor of the month" groups. No one outside of this community and Steam care in the slightest what EW does, let alone who they are. I mean c'mon, look at titles like Grand Theft Auto. You don't see droves of maniacs now because of that game series, right? Looks like RockStar is still kickin, doesn't it? THAT is the reality of it all. It's NOT real life. If EW wanted to release an African reserve that featured the Big 5, it's up to them completely as there would be no real backlash, because as said no one outside of this community remotely cares, and that's exactly how it should be. You guys just need to understand that. They are only pixels, no animals IRL would be even remotely harmed.

For example:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250200/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabela% ... can_Safari

Even the Deer Hunter series jumped on board with the mobile game Deer Hunter: African Safari.

There have even been much older titles, such as African Safari Trophy Hunter for PC. Do a quick search of African hunting games and you will see LOTS of games that had this and featured the Big 5, and you will see that 0 came under any fire. The move would actually be a good one for EW.
SS0001

Post by SS0001 »

It's possible the introduction of an African hunting reserve would have absolutely no impact at all outside our community, but I do remember a few years ago PETA undertook a campaign to have Ubisoft remove the whale hunting mini game from Assassin’s Creed 4.
PETA singled out whale hunting aspect because they knew they could get headlines with such a contentious issue. It probably had zero effect on Ubisofts sales but it still would have cost them time and money defending the claims PETA was making.
So I’m not sure you could completely disregard this as a risk even though they are just pixels in a game.
Durin
Scout

Post by Durin »

Poaching exists in real life. Here in this game animals are killed. Each hunter feals like the one and only rich tourist. Its realistic, but you cant count all animals together. A african map without elephant and rhino would be a shame... The big five it is!
#hunt them all!
At all: Thanks for forgetting the stupidpolar bear restrictions!
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Andrewz55 wrote:This is general information and current hunting "situation" on african lion, white rhino, leopard, african elephant and cape buffalo/ the big 5....; First i just want to say to you people that want/ or think we will get the big 5 in the african reserve, we will not.

Just look at how they did the polar bear, they made it like in reality, in the real world you cant just go out and buy a polar bear tag and shoot one. You can only kill it if it attacks you or charges you(self defense).
If you google polar bear, and click in on wikipedia and look at the "conservation status" you can see that it is "vulnerable". Im going to use the polar bear as an base to sort of compare the conservation status of the african species mentioned above.

Conservation status listing system: 7, extinct. 6, extinct in wild. 5, critically endangered. 4, endangered. 3, vulnerable. 2, near threatned. 1, least concern.

The lion is currently "vulnerable", 25 000-23 000 lions alive in 2016. An adult male is about 250kg in living weight(550 lbs)
The white rhino is currently "near threatned", arround 20 000 alive in 2016. An adult male is about 3500kg in living weight(7700 lbs)
The african leopard is currently "near threatned" , arround 250 000 alive in 2016 An adult male is about 85kg in living weight(190 lbs)
The African elephant is currently "least concern", arround 500 000 alive in 2016. An adult male is about 6000kg in living weight(13 200 lbs)
The Cape buffalo is currently "least concern" , arround 900 000 alive in 2016. An adult male is about 850kg in living weight(1730 lbs)

THE BISON IS "NEAR THREATNED" And legal to hunt in theHunter. Meaning that we could have white rhino, african leopard, african elephant and cape buffalo without a problem from like conservation people and stuff like that. As far as the rhino's come, even though they are not "threatned" atm, think about the history of how they where hunted, white hunters(whealthy american and european trophy hunters) have killed 90% of the rhino population in 100 years. Just for their horn on the nose. Im sure alot of people dosent really care about this and just wants them in the game and hunt them . But there is also alot of people that care about having an ethical and realistic game.

theHunter is one of the few hunting games where you can acually play a hunting "simulator" and not a killing "simulator". I think the thing i apperciate the most about the hunter is that its an ethical game that wants their players to kill animals that are legal to hunt and kill them with ethical calibers. I mean in cabelas games you can run arround killing rhinos with a 6.5x55 semi auto.

IF, IF were gonna have some big animals we gotta have big calibers, i mean a 45-70 aint gonna bring down an elephant or rhino, and deffinetly not a lever action or single shot for security reasons. In almost all time of african hunting traditions amoungst proffesional hunters double rifles or bolt action rifles are preferred. I think it would only be fitting to add a nice engraved double rifle and a nice engraved bolt action rifle to the african reserve. When it comes to the calibers the minimum caliber for hunting in africa in general is .375. The recomended caliber for hunting big game is anything from a .404 to a .505.

The most common caliber in double rifles is .500 and in bolt action rifles for africa is .375. The reason there is such big calibers used in africa is simply because there is generally larger game there.

I think there sould be some 5000 em$ engraved rifles in the store when this reserve comes out. Because expensive rifles with big calibers is a big part of african hunting culture or atleast amoungst profesional hunters.
i want to see something like this:

Bolt action 1: Image

Bolt action 2: Image

Double Rifle 1: Image

Double Rifle 2: Image

Double Rifle 3: Image

Notice how they have the case hardened(blue spots) on the metal pieces on the rifles, abosolutley beautiful look.

Anyway in theory we could almost have the big 5 expcept the lion. I guess im not that different form other ppl when it comes to the african hunting reserve opinions. Comment if you agree and comment if you disagree or have other suggestions/opinions. And also if someone is thinking of qutting playing theHunter if an african reserve is added, just dont hunt in the african reserve. That it im done.

Totally wrong, most of the ivory is being taken by VIllage Poahcers mostly (black) and then being sold to Asians for medicinal purposes (If you know what I mean)
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”