Box call response

Raptor02
Outfitter

Box call response

Post by Raptor02 »

Recently we had the update that released the owl locator call for turkey. At the same time a bug that made turkey's respond to the box call. The decoys and owl call did a great job filling what I felt was missing with turkey hunting ingame and made it more fun for me. But since the bug was fixed and turkey don't respond to the box call anymore, I find myself wishing it was left alone. It doesn't need to be one or the other to be balanced IMO. If turkey answered back to the box call and locator call, I'd still use both. For the same reason I use both irl. I can't even fully explain how awkward it feels now, to have turkey only respond to the owl call and be completely silent to the box call.

The locator call is great for when your walking around checking for birds. You want the bird to answer, giving away its position but not attract them yet. Then when you know where they are and get setup, you use the box call to attract them to you. Irl turkey's respond to callers. You can tell how interested they are by how much they call back and having them not answer a box call at all just feels wrong to me. It's just not how it is irl.

Please switch it back. Thanks
M0UNTAINMAN
Scout

Re: Box call response

Post by M0UNTAINMAN »

Couldn't agree more. Turkey hunting is currently broken without getting a response from the box caller. Raptor02 explained it perfectly that the owl caller should be used to locate turkey without attracting them, but not to replace the response from the box caller. No RL turkey hunter walks around constantly blowing an owl call to get a response from turkey. It's just not how it is supposed to work. You locate them, setup, and then use the box and slate.
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

Spot on. Personally I think we need a slate call for putts and purrs. Definitely need to overhaul the sound for the box call. Sounds horrible. They could use the those two kind of like long and short range. Yelps from the box for long range attractance, and gentle putts and purrs from the slate call for close range attractance.
M0UNTAINMAN
Scout

Post by M0UNTAINMAN »

Sqwee wrote:Spot on. Personally I think we need a slate call for putts and purrs. Definitely need to overhaul the sound for the box call. Sounds horrible. They could use the those two kind of like long and short range. Yelps from the box for long range attractance, and gentle putts and purrs from the slate call for close range attractance.
Hey, that's brilliant Sqwee! Perfectly realistic and would allow EW to make a buck or two on yet another turkey caller.

Completely agree on the box call sound. It is horrible. It would be nice if there were some variation in the call with clucks, cuts, and kee-kees mixed in with the yelps. While we're on the topic of horrible turkey sounds they should redo the gobble too. That sounds like some crazy clown laugh, not a gobbling tom.

But, first things first, we need the response from box calls back. It would add lot to fun level, realism and overall gameplay of turkey hunting and not take away from the usefulness of the locator, if it worked that is.
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

Agreed!

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”