A caller for black/brown bear.

EclipseStar
Hunter

A caller for black/brown bear.

Post by EclipseStar »

We should really get a caller for black/brown bear it would make our lives a whole lot easier + they are used IRL often in hunting them.
This here is an example of fawn distress caller used to lure in, among other things black and brown bears.

Mills
Outfitter

Re: A caller for black/brown bear.

Post by Mills »

I agree completely. There's a caller for the hogs as well as baiting stations. Why not for bears too? Sometimes I don't like to just sit still. I like moving around and it seems that with the bears you have to be very stealthy to get close. Trying to catch up to a bear to make a shot with a bow is very time consuming. When I want to bow hunt bear I'll use my barrels, but when I'm out for a trampse in the woods and come across some bear tracks sometimes I don't even bother unless I have a rifle in my inventory. Having a caller would definitely help.
CinAteK
Scout

Post by CinAteK »

+1
Ash1302
Scout

Post by Ash1302 »

Would be nice; another approach to bear hunting is always welcome in my books.

Ever since I started playing, I wondered why there were no callers for bears, given that the other carnivores (red fox and coyote) can be lured in by calls.
JamesMc
Tracker

Post by JamesMc »

ash1302 wrote:given that the other carnivores (red fox and coyote) can be lured in by calls.
None of the bears in game are carnivores. Polar bears are the only ones that could be close to considered carnivore and even they will eat fruits and veggies when available. I'm not trying to be an idiot, just pointing out the truth.

Having said that I'm all for a call for bear. Never seen them used in real life but I'm sure they are.
EclipseStar
Hunter

Post by EclipseStar »

JamesMc wrote:
ash1302 wrote:given that the other carnivores (red fox and coyote) can be lured in by calls.
None of the bears in game are carnivores. Polar bears are the only ones that could be close to considered carnivore and even they will eat fruits and veggies when available. I'm not trying to be an idiot, just pointing out the truth.

Having said that I'm all for a call for bear. Never seen them used in real life but I'm sure they are.
Actually I read somewhere in an article that most black and brown bears eat a diet of 80% vegetable and 20% Carnivorous and well polar bears... There aren't that many plants in and around the Arctic circle eh? :D They mainly eat ringed and bearded seals, cool thing is I've even seen them do it. H)
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

JamesMc wrote:

Most bears are omnivores. Browns and blacks eat a lot of vegetation, (berries, nuts, roots, etc.), but the also eat meat and carrion. They also hunt everything from deer to fish. Obviously salmon is high on the diet of brown bears.

And polar bears are entirely carnivorous. Their diet consists almost entirely of seals. I doubt there is much fruit in the artic.
Personal Bests...
JamesMc
Tracker

Post by JamesMc »

Lol. The fruit and veggies comment was a joke. But polar bears will eat whatever they can get, like most bears. Their diet is a carnivorous diet but technically are omnivores because they will eat veggies (obviously not their main diet). Polar bears have no issue raiding garbage cans for anything they can find. Just ask the residents of Churchill. :)

Black bears are omnivore scavengers that will occasionally hunt but usually only when starving. They are more than happy eating anything you put in front of them. But to call them a carnivore is wrong. We have tons of them here, and I see many of them. I can't imagine calling one in but a good box of tim hortons donuts is a sure fire to attract them. We use them for bait behind my house for the kids to see. This years been slow but they're coming at night.
Ash1302
Scout

Post by Ash1302 »

Not trying to be a fool either but last I know black and brown bears are opportunistic omnivores.

I don't think either of those two would shrug off a fawn distress call and say "bah, I'm a veg!" when on an empty stomach!

An omnivore is a carnivore AND a herbivore.
EclipseStar
Hunter

Post by EclipseStar »

ash1302 wrote:Not trying to be a fool either but last I know black and brown bears are opportunistic omnivores.

I don't think either of those two would shrug off a fawn distress call and say "bah, I'm a veg!" when on an empty stomach!

An omnivore is a carnivore AND a herbivore.
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Maker

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”