bear caller

gas56
Outfitter

Re: bear caller

Post by gas56 »

A distress deer call works great for calling in Brownies in Alaska, but they usually come in pretty fast,
and a back-up hunter if you miss.
They would need to fix the 3-d sound because it is really hard to tell where the sound is coming from at 1st in this game.
And you want all your hearing to give you the edge which way a bear is coming into your call.
The black bears are not as co-operative with calls, but sometimes come in with a rabbit-distress call.
This should be put into the game, it would just be one more realistic expectation we dream of.
BearHunter
Tracker

Post by BearHunter »

There is no such thing or way to call a Bear in reality hunting or in the hunter, Just tracking and baiting to lure them in which has been down for 100,s of years, If you want to get bears Carlos4 watch the many good videos put out on how to bait and build up your tracking skills aand when you find a set of tracks just follow until you start getting close and keep the noise down crouch crawl many times you might need to after you spot one to get close enough to get a shot with out spooking it, but like I said there are many players that offer help and put out great videos such as Ron McTube and Flanker305 and HooCairs to name a few watch from them and you will be amazed at how quickly you will be able to find bears and hopefully bag him.
RichardTheHunter
Scout

Post by RichardTheHunter »

BearHunter wrote:There is no such thing or way to call a Bear in reality hunting or in the hunter, Just tracking and baiting to lure them in which has been down for 100,s of years, If you want to get bears Carlos4 watch the many good videos put out on how to bait and build up your tracking skills aand when you find a set of tracks just follow until you start getting close and keep the noise down crouch crawl many times you might need to after you spot one to get close enough to get a shot with out spooking it, but like I said there are many players that offer help and put out great videos such as Ron McTube and Flanker305 and HooCairs to name a few watch from them and you will be amazed at how quickly you will be able to find bears and hopefully bag him.

maybe read the other comments first before posting
BearHunter
Tracker

Post by BearHunter »

I been a trapper and a guide for a long time and never seen any of those things work unless US bears lol are different the northern canadian bears because they sure dont come to any calls I always have baited for them and have a 100 per cent rate for you to get a bear at my sites doesnt count i you miss but even then another 1 isnt far behind, I also have the second bigest bear ever shot in northern Ontario, those callers
they show in hunting magazines are all gimmicks to waste money my american customers have brought some several times and only thing there good for is for people to laugh at and tell stories in the main lodge, cant beat the bear baiting barrel, It works so why fix something that aint broke.There is one caller my dad made for me that works like magic for moose call it my moose telephone, but cant find the old green 45 anymore looked every where Ebay collecterors adds even thought one of the music sites no luck it was an old French guy calling on a green 45 and was called O The Majestic Moose. if some one does happen to have this or can find it be willing to pay for a copy of it or the original please.
M0UNTAINMAN
Scout

Post by M0UNTAINMAN »

BearHunter wrote:I been a trapper and a guide for a long time and never seen any of those things work unless US bears lol are different the northern canadian bears because they sure dont come to any calls I always have baited for them and have a 100 per cent rate for you to get a bear at my sites doesnt count i you miss but even then another 1 isnt far behind, I also have the second bigest bear ever shot in northern Ontario, those callers
they show in hunting magazines are all gimmicks to waste money my american customers have brought some several times and only thing there good for is for people to laugh at and tell stories in the main lodge, cant beat the bear baiting barrel, It works so why fix something that aint broke.There is one caller my dad made for me that works like magic for moose call it my moose telephone, but cant find the old green 45 anymore looked every where Ebay collecterors adds even thought one of the music sites no luck it was an old French guy calling on a green 45 and was called O The Majestic Moose. if some one does happen to have this or can find it be willing to pay for a copy of it or the original please.
Just because you haven't seen it done or it hasn't worked for you does not mean it's not real and can't happen. Most predator callers can and do attract bears. Anything from a fawn or rabbit distress call to a bawling cub will attract bears, often aggressively, even in Canada. Doesn't work all the time, but neither does grunting in a deer. Search around on YouTube or check out any of the links posted earlier in the thread and see for yourself.

I'll never forget my first time bear hunting in 1993 here in Wisconsin. Me and a buddy and my Dad gathered all of the leftover pastries and grease trap waste we could get our hands on. I dug a hole in the woods, filled it with the goodies, and it took all three of us to cover the hole with a big log. That first evening I had a sow with two cubs come in, but she was pretty spooky and they didn't stick around long, probably because 15 minutes later a 400 lb. boar came in, tossed the log aside like it was nothing and chowed down. I sat there watching him with my bow ready, shaking like a leaf, for what seemed like an eternity, until I finally got a good quartering away pocket shot. That bear made a beautiful rug. I'd love to bear hunt again and give the caller method a try, but haven't applied for a licence enough to build up the required preference points. Someday.

Sure, baiting is definitely the best way to guarantee a bear, but callers would be a great option to have in-game, especially if they provoked an aggressive response with a bear charging in to protect a cub or find a quick meal. Would add a whole new element to bear hunting.
Mashuu
Hunter

Post by Mashuu »

Shame. Still nothing on this.
SS0001

Post by SS0001 »

Instead of using a caller for bears, maybe harvested deer that haven’t been collected could act as an attractive scent for bears.
This would be good for people that enjoy baiting and also add a bit more danger and cautiousness when tracking wounded deer.
wildmantom
Tracker

Post by wildmantom »

I've Used Doe Bleat & Vermit call (Rabbit) to call Bears in Real Life . only Problem is they Charge straight in with out stopping ..Got to remember they are the Top of the Food Chain ..I've even seen Brown bears kill a Bison with one blow [signature=]wildmantom
[/signature]
Ash1302
Scout

Post by Ash1302 »

Yes for bear caller.
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

The current predator call should work for bears. The only reason it never has is the original company decided to force customers to either feed barrels non stop with bait which at that time was only available with EM to generate income or follow fleeing tracks endlessly with no means to stop, turn or bring in a bear. This has always been an error in judgement and should be rectified.
This is also why the in game brown bears either walk around endlessly or take off at the speed of light at any sign of the hunter which is far from normal bear behavior. It might be a part of bear behavior to avoid humans, but it's not the only aspect of bear behavior.
We should not need to buy a new bear call, the old call should be corrected to attract bears. Maybe the range of attraction could be set at a relatively shorter distance to maintain an interest in barrels but they too should be improved and the penalty for actually shooting a bear near the barrel one has been paying to get to 100% for a week should be reduced to an hour or so and not days before returning to 100%. Actually harvesting a bear at one's barrel is not a privilege, it's a right and should not be treated as a penalty to do so.
The whole bear hunting system was designed to take advantage of the customer base, and that should be changed by the current company. Allowing customers to use GM for bait was a good step in the right direction and they should be commended for that, but they really should reconsider using the old bait system as it is.
Of course this is just my opinion and I'm sure as always many people will disagree and that's fine.

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”