The only rare ducks I ever see are mallards

Ardillamente
Tracker

The only rare ducks I ever see are mallards

Post by Ardillamente »

Hey everyone. I've hunted ducks pretty heavily off and on over the years in theHunter. I've noticed something that is 100% consistent for me, and it seems to be for others as well. With the exception of the first few weeks after the release of the new ducks when the rares of them were super common for some reason, I have not seen 1 single rare gadwall, pintail or black duck ever. I've harvested well over 2,000 of all 4 duck species since the release of the new ducks. In that time I've taken probably around10-15 rares... every one of them mallards. I've looked at dozens of other avid duck hunters pictures and all I ever see in their galleries is rare mallards also. So it seems to me like the rare mallards spawn occasionally (around 1 in every 50-200 in my experience), but the other rare ducks are non-existent in my servers. Nobody could convince me this is luck, 10-15 mallard rares but 0 other rare ducks out of 2000+, there's no way that's coincidence. The only other thing I can think of that may be happening is it could be my map location. I've had the same duck spot for a long time and it's a great spot (about 200m north of Laurent's Rest), I get tons of all 4 duck species there so I don't want to move it. It may be possible that only rare mallards spawn there and not the other rare ducks, but I doubt this is the issue. This still wouldn't explain why I never see rare gadwalls, pintails and black ducks in other people's pics. The many forms of rares for the 3 new duck species are very cool looking and I just want to be able to maybe see 1 of every 100-300 or so harvests of these ducks, I figure that's not too much to ask. If anyone has noticed the same thing please post a reply here and lets get some attention about this so hopefully we can have it looked into and enjoy the awesome looking rares and hybrids like we were intended to.

-Alex
jared_hambling

Re: The only rare ducks I ever see are mallards

Post by jared_hambling »

Totally agree, since I've set up for ducks I have only gotten rare mallards.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Wouldn't surprise me they ended up taking they off the game completely when they "reduced" the rares' spawn chance for non-mallards, as you recalled above.
Spoiler:
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

I'll be damned:

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/buiu ... /578546634

No different thumbnail, though.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I remember killing at least one pintail that had a green head (mallard hybrid). Here's the lodge picture, since I didn't take a trophy shot. Not very impressive (it's the bird at the center):

Last edited by BuiuRei on December 10th, 2017, 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

I shot a super rare 1350+ leucistic Northern-Pintail in 2016, so rare ones other than mallards do exist. ;)
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

I shot a rare pintail this season. They're still out there.
tbug
Outfitter

Post by tbug »

It does seem like rares of mallards occur more often than non-mallards. I did get an albino gadwall back in October so they do occur, just not often.

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I find it very tedious to analyze every single duck I pick up, so I don't. After the hunt I go through the history to check if there was a rare in there. Got a few recently so they are out there, but maybe just overlooked.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Ardillamente
Tracker

Post by Ardillamente »

Wow I'm shocked anyone is seeing them when I have 0 for 2,000+. I agree with you as well Hoo, I always check my stats at the end of the hunts too though so I'm not missing any. If any developers see this thread though please at least take this into account. If there are 4 duck species and the mallard rares are much more prevalent than the other 3 put together, the other duck's rares need to be increased. I understand making them occur infrequently is the whole point, and you want them to occur at a realistic low rate, but I still think the rares besides mallards are just way too rare, in my opinion increasing their rate of spawning by 2x would still keep them super rare and maybe I'd see 1 in my next 2,000 duck kills haha. Thanks for all the info guys, and if anyone else has some nice non-mallard rares keep posting em on here, at least I can see them that way.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”