Please something else than horns and antlers

Philips11

Please something else than horns and antlers

Post by Philips11 »

In the EHR there are too many antlers and horns, especialy in new reserve. I must say that i am very dissapointed, i hoped in something different, f.e. crocks, dingoes, koala bears, wombats, tasmanian devils (i know that they live only in Tasmania but the reserve is just inspired of Australia, it´s not Australia and it´s right that in last they live in continent, too). Instead of we will see next show of boring antlers and horns, it´s not my cup of tea. :|
Redmaster
Scout

Re: Please something else than horns and antlers

Post by Redmaster »

You do realize that deer especially are a staple for all hunters throughout the northern hemisphere as well as wherever they are introduced....right?
Besides saltwater crocs and dingos, none of those species are legally Huntable in Australia.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

You would rather shoot koalas than buffalo? :?

I'll take antlers and horns any day.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Philips11

Post by Philips11 »

Redmaster wrote:You do realize that deer especially are a staple for all hunters throughout the northern hemisphere as well as wherever they are introduced....right?
Besides saltwater crocs and dingos, none of those species are legally Huntable in Australia.
Sorry, but i think that´s EHR is not a real world, or you live there? It´s just game - i do not see any reason why we could not hunt species which are not legally huntable in Australia, especialy in situation, when the reserve is just inspired of Australia, it´s not Australia? i repeat again, The Hunter classic is just a game, not a reality! ;)
Skorpiovenator

Post by Skorpiovenator »

Most of the animals you listed wouldn't be able to be implemented, such as a koala, as the current engine can't do that. Not sure about crocodiles either, as I think they would be too easy to hunt as they aren't the most active creatures you would see. Plus, a messed up shot would probably result in it swimming away into unreachable area. I do agree that it would be nice to see other non-ungulate species but there's not really much choice in an Australian Tropical Reserve. But you never know, look at BRR for example, they added in feral goats and maybe in the future the devs might add in another new species.
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

Philips11 wrote:
Redmaster wrote:You do realize that deer especially are a staple for all hunters throughout the northern hemisphere as well as wherever they are introduced....right?
Sorry, but i think that´s EHR is not a real world, or you live there? It´s just game - i do not see any reason why we could not hunt species which are not legally huntable in Australia, especialy in situation, when the reserve is just inspired of Australia, it´s not Australia? i repeat again, The Hunter classic is just a game, not a reality! ;)
the original concept for theHunter, was for it to be build along the line of being realistic as possible...i'll agree, it has gone way off that path..i whole heartily agree with not having "Protected" as hunted animals in theHunter, game or not. mature grown-ups that are real life hunters would respect that rule of hunting and abide by it....and like you, i have my rights to a opinion.. :D
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Out of curiosity, I did a count based on the existing animals we have in the game now (40 species).

5 are scored via horns (bighorn, dall sheep, bison, feral goat, ibex)

10 are scored via antlers (whitetail, blacktail, stika, mule, roe, red, moose, reindeer, roosevelt elk, RM elk)

6 are scored via skull size (wolf, bobcat, polar bear, black bear, brown bear, grizzly bear)

15 are scored exclusively via weight (four ducks, three ptarmigan, goose, two fox, coyote, three rabbit, kangaroo)

2 are scored via tusks or weight (feral hogs, wild boar)

1 is scored via weight/spur/beard combo (turkey)

1 is scored via tail length (pheasant)

So really, only 15/40 existing animals are scored via horn or antler size. With the new map, that number will be 19/44. In either case, less than half of the animals in this game are scored in this way. While I have no official numbers to draw upon, I will say that in many of the countries where antlered and horned animals can be hunted, they are often one of the most prominently hunted. Antlers and horns are famous symbols for many hunting organizations. Antlers in particular have fairly unique methods of measuring and scoring compared to just taking a weight or single body part length. They are a large part of what drives the hunting industry in their respective areas. Compare this to say, rabbit, bird or vermin hunting. With antlers and horns, many hunters aspire to shoot animals with large or high scoring antlers or horns. Alternatively rabbit, bird or vermin hunters tend to be more interested in quantity than the size of their prey (with exceptions, of course). So, antlers and horns are, to many, a more desirable prize.

I also enjoy a variety of animals in a hunting game and would not be disappointed to see other non-antlered or horned species introduced to the game myself. But this game must almost cater to the majority, and I believe the majority of players prefer big game, which tends to be horned or antlered.
Ringolf
Spotter

Post by Ringolf »

Antlered or horned animals are the only animals of which I can quickly estimate the score (without the spotting skill).
I could not tell the difference between a top score Fox and a low scoring one, which makes them all look the same if I don't see the numbers (and therefore a bit boring).

But then again, this could be just due to my poor eyesight and lack of experience, so everyone is free to disagree.
007aln
Spotter

Post by 007aln »

Yeah I like antlers and horns because I can immediately tell how big the critter is. Scanning the environment and see a black bear? I have to rely on spotting still to give me a ballpark figure, which could be wrong. IMO it's much more exciting to scan and see that giant elk that you know is 400+.

Would I would like to see is antelope maps vs deer maps.

Yep, that's a big one :D
TurboKid
Tracker

Post by TurboKid »

Ringolf wrote:Antlered or horned animals are the only animals of which I can quickly estimate the score (without the spotting skill).
I could not tell the difference between a top score Fox and a low scoring one, which makes them all look the same if I don't see the numbers (and therefore a bit boring).

But then again, this could be just due to my poor eyesight and lack of experience, so everyone is free to disagree.
Some of the other ones may be harder. But foxs is pretty easy. Since its based on weight, they are HUGE compared to low scoring fox. So its just size. If you see a fox far away and it looks like the size of one when its supposed to be close thats a big fox lol. When you end up taking a picture youll see they are really big. But it does take time and numbers to figure things like this out or just get used to the sizes etc. But animals are different sizes based on weight. So a low score fox is not the same size as a high score fox etc.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”