New species idea as well as new lure idea

Elrique64
Spotter

Post by Elrique64 »

The one NA species I find sorely lacking here is the Pronghorn Antelope. This species is native to the Great Plains states. With superior eyesight outstanding hearing and an almost godlike sense of smell, these animals are amongst some of the hardest to harvest.

They share their habitat with Whitetail Deer, Coyotes, Pheasants, Grouse, Bobcats and the occasional Bison.

Hunting tactics include creeping up on the animal, long range (in excess of 200 yards at times) shooting, decoys (full body decoy used as more like a portable blind.) and waterhole blinds.

So one new animal. And the decoy/blind is the new lure/product idea.
Our freedoms have been bought by the blood of our Veterans. Pay them back with love, kindness and support.

Knut
Outfitter

Re: New species idea as well as new lure idea

Post by Knut »

Elrique64 wrote:(in excess of 200 yards at times)
Which is pretty much the render range in this game. Which is why this kind of hunting wouldn't work in theHunter. As sad as it is, because I'd like to see it, too.

Maybe in theHunter 2. One is allowed to have dreams :D
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Elrique64 wrote:So one new animal. And the decoy/blind is the new lure/product idea.
I am just a gamer not a hunter, but I learn a lot about hunting (the theoretical part) around here. Never knew decoys were used to lure deer. How do deer fall for a completely immobile fellow? Or do these decoys at least wiggle their tails and ears? :P
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

HooCairs wrote:I am just a gamer not a hunter, but I learn a lot about hunting (the theoretical part) around here. Never knew decoys were used to lure deer. How do deer fall for a completely immobile fellow? Or do these decoys at least wiggle their tails and ears? :P
Not a real hunter myself, but I think I've actually seen pictures of deer decoys. You can find them when you google (guess what) "Deer decoy". So obviously at least some hunters in some areas use them... :?
Image Image Image
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Deer decoys are used for several effects:
a) to provide a sense of calm for animals. When deer see some fellow deer around, they naturally assume that there is no danger present
b) to lure other animals in. While the deer won't be necessarily being directly attracted by another deer (or a decoy), those species that roam in herds or loose groups will instinctively seek proximity with other deer and thus might be triggered to roam closer. Or a buck might want to check out this other buck that's poaching females in his territory.
c) to attract males with female decoys. In some species, like Pronghorns for example, a buck will try to herd his females and keep them together. A female decoy might trick him into trying the same with the female decoy or at least go and check it out and will draw the animal closer. This is often tried to reduce the distance between the hunter and the game animal and does not rely on close distance encounters between the animal and the decoy, hence an inanimate decoy might do the trick. Seems to be very ineffective
d) to provide a scenery for calling animals. While calling animals within vegetation cover can be very effective to bring males into close distance, it doesn't work as well in more open structures. A buck will rarely come in on a call when he can clearly see that the field is empty of other deer. Decoys together with calling can make animals also more directly head for the visible clue rather than circling the area the call came from.
e) to hide the hunters approach or presence. Foldable, life-size decoys of deer or cattle are used to hide behind while kreeping closer.

To my knowledge, it's rather an American thing. Where bow and primitive weapon season tiogether with hunting pressure on public land make these kind of strategies popular.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Deer decoys actually work in combination with other lures, not really just all by itself. You can’t just put out a deer decoy and expect results. Deer decoys are used in combination with scent sprays, rattling antlers, grunt calls, etc. Highly effective during the rut season, when the decoy will give a curious or territorial buck a visual target. It may stay out of sight while hearing your rattling antlers after picking up the scent, but when it sees the decoy the buck can become curious or ready for a battle. Many a decoy have been mauled by bucks looking for a fight lol.
However, IMO, I could say that deer decoys would not have a place in this game, at least not right now. Deer species are easy enough to get in where you want them, and there are no seasons (pre-rut, rut, post-rut) in game that would make a deer decoy effective and believeable.

Edit: Quick little video for you guys of a buck destroying a decoy. Note when the buck walks in, it’s posture. He saw the decoy near a doe, and came in ready to fight.

https://youtu.be/-7_AuOiTQ3k
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Note when the buck walks in, it’s posture.
I found the "what the frog just happened?" posture after he attacked way more amusing :lol:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Decoying can be very exciting when it works. I've only had it work once and just stopped using them afterwards. I had a buck spot the decoy across a field and come in on a string from almost 200 yards away. When he got there, his ears were laid back and he was puffed up like a porcupine. The only problem was (and I didn't know this at the time) bucks always come into a buck decoy from the front. I had the decoy facing away from me, and he walked in, then busted without ever giving me a shot.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I've also used full-body decoys for deer hunting. In the right moment with the right deer, they are a critical tool. That said, it takes a very specific situation in order for them to work successfully. There are only a few weeks of the entire year (late pre-rut and peak rut) that I would ever use one because that's the only time of year that bucks consistently let their guard down from all that testosterone and the excitement of the breeding season. As BnB said, without different seasons or a deer rutting schedule, decoys just wouldn't have a realistic place in the game. They also only work when used in conjunction with other tools. Any deer other than a rutted up buck will usually try to approach a decoy from downwind if possibly, so covering up your scent and imitating the scent of a deer is pretty important if that happens. Some deer don't like the lack of movement on a decoy, even if it has a moving tail or ears, so calling and rattling can help convince them it's a real deer. Even decoy placement is critical for exactly the reason InstinctiveArcher mentioned, plus the issue with scent control (you don't want a deer moving downwind of the decoy to end up downwind of you too). Then there's using it in different seasons. I'll only ever use a decoy in archery seasons because you never know who is stomping around in the woods (even on private property) and thinks your decoy is mighty convincing. I'd rather not have someone firing a rifle in my general direction if it can be avoided. Obviously decoy placement, combination with calls/lures and seasonal usage would most likely play no role in a decoy's success in the game. I can't imagine it functioning any differently from the other deer callers. Therefore I wouldn't really care to see them added.

I would however love to see pronghorn make their way into this game eventually. I'm not sure any of our existing maps would be a comfortable fit for them though, so I doubt they'll be joining us until we see a more open, plains-inspired map.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

The pronghorn is the fastest North American mammal, by a long shot. I've seen them spook, and they can book.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29

Return to “Animal Suggestions”