New species idea as well as new lure idea

Elrique64
Spotter

Re: New species idea as well as new lure idea

Post by Elrique64 »

I think you guys missed the decoy idea. This is more along the lines I mean: (pay particular attention to how the hunter is hunkered down behind the decoy waiting for a shot. This is very typical of hunting pronghorns with a bow in the Dakotas, Wyoming and Eastern Montana.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4wBqTrhZI

Notice, I only mentioned decoys with the introduction of Pronghorns in game. Decoying deer in game would be way too automatic. Pronghorns take a whole different set of tactics than what most deer hunters are used to using IRL. With perhaps the best eyes on the grasslands, these animals are hard to get close to. Let alone getting close enough to take one with a bow... RESPECT out there for anyone that has taken a truly large Pronghorn Buck with a bow., That guy has paid some serious dues... (And probably made the shot from 40-70 yards!)

Decoying deer in game would make something too automatic for something that is already too automatic. We don't have issues with missed calls, over-calling, buck just not interested, etc. I've seldom ever seen does come to a grunt, but in game, they come in all the time, every time. It NEVER goes that way IRL....
Our freedoms have been bought by the blood of our Veterans. Pay them back with love, kindness and support.

baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

deer decoys can be very effective but are very dangerous with other hunters shooting at/near you (especially the guys that are shooting at game from 200+ yards who can't tell if real or fake).
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

baloo.the.dog wrote:deer decoys can be very effective but are very dangerous with other hunters shooting at/near you (especially the guys that are shooting at game from 200+ yards who can't tell if real or fake).
Surely any hunter that spots a deer from 200 yards out or more, would wonder why in the time it took them to prepare for taking a shot, the deer hadn't moved one iota? I guess I'm just making assumptions about cognisance, but as someone who has only ever shot one deer and is a vastly inexperienced hunter, I can guarantee I would never mistake a deer decoy for a real deer. I mean, there's a pretty limited viewing angle from which it's possible for a decoy to even look like a real deer. Even a deer that's stood still is animated to some extent, whether it's head movements or ears twitching. I'm not disputing that people have shot at decoys thinking their real, I guess I just can't imagine those circumstances.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

caledonianblues wrote:
baloo.the.dog wrote:deer decoys can be very effective but are very dangerous with other hunters shooting at/near you (especially the guys that are shooting at game from 200+ yards who can't tell if real or fake).
Surely any hunter that spots a deer from 200 yards out or more, would wonder why in the time it took them to prepare for taking a shot, the deer hadn't moved one iota? I guess I'm just making assumptions about cognisance, but as someone who has only ever shot one deer and is a vastly inexperienced hunter, I can guarantee I would never mistake a deer decoy for a real deer. I mean, there's a pretty limited viewing angle from which it's possible for a decoy to even look like a real deer. Even a deer that's stood still is animated to some extent, whether it's head movements or ears twitching. I'm not disputing that people have shot at decoys thinking their real, I guess I just can't imagine those circumstances.
I have had staredowns with deer from 200 yards for 15 minutes before. I could easily see an excited hunter early in the morning feeling rushed to hurry and take the shot before his deer might move away, happens all the time.

Roll Tide!!
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

caledonianblues wrote:
Yeah, you'll almost always catch some movement, in an ear twitching, tail flicker, eye blink, etc, even if they don't move. I'm confident that I would never mistake anything for a real deer that wasn't a real deer. But I'm not confident enough in everybody else's ability to do the same, especially on public hunting land. Hell, last week some guy in New York shot a woman walking her dog, thinking she was a deer...from 200 yards away...with a pistol.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Hawkeye wrote:Hell, last week some guy in New York shot a woman walking her dog, thinking she was a deer...from 200 yards away...with a pistol.
Was it in Central Park?
Image Image Image
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Hawkeye wrote:Hell, last week some guy in New York shot a woman walking her dog, thinking she was a deer...from 200 yards away...with a pistol.
And 40 minutes after sunset, so he did pretty much everything wrong...(and illegal).
Personal Bests...
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

It happened in my neck of the woods, in Chautauqua County, south of Buffalo. Sad on so many levels. Here is the latest story on it: Hunter who shot woman may face charges
http://www.wgrz.com/news/hunter-who-sho ... /495001044
(Via WGRZ2)
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Fletchette wrote:
And 40 minutes after sunset, so he did pretty much everything wrong...(and illegal).
AND he didn't have permission to shoot deer on the property where that lady was walking in the first place.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

the hunter also is hiding behind the decoy, making it move as he moves closer to the target.

Roll Tide!!

Return to “Animal Suggestions”