Common skills set for Feral Hogs and Wild Boars.

Sherab86
Hunter

Common skills set for Feral Hogs and Wild Boars.

Post by Sherab86 »

Mainly because there is only one map (at the moment of writing this) with Wild Boars, and because Feral Hogs and Wild Boars are virtualy same animals IRL (something more on this below) I suggest them to share tracking and spotting skills.

I think that it is good idea to have them separated in terms of 3D model and textures because so called Feral Hogs are descendants of domesticated, farm animals and/or hybrids of Wild Boars and such animals. So they can still possess some "remnants" of farm "pig" look - like slightly shorter snout or coloring variations, etc.

From other hand - both, domesticated pigs, and Wild Boars are actualy of same species. Yeah, there are some people with like to separate "pigs" into another species, but there is simply no justification for this, since they can breed with success with Wild Boars. And offspring of such union is also fertile. So they ARE of same species. There are also no signifficant differences in behavior or senses.

I would not see a need to share skills between them if there would be more maps with each of them, but since there are few, and Wild Boars have only one... I realy like hunting Wild Boars (I've started from them, when it comes to pigs, and they are european, so I feel in home ;) ), but as everyone I like to have some variation, and change environment from time to time. So it would be nice to hunt Feral Hogs from time to time insteed, but I won't have all that skills I have with Wild Boars, despite they are virtualy same animals (btw. I know people complaining on both, but somehow Ferals have somewhat better look ;P ).
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: Common skills set for Feral Hogs and Wild Boars.

Post by JimboCrow »

Nope.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

No here from me as well.
I mean really, if that’s the case, let’s just go ahead and have Whitetail, Blacktail, Mule Deer, Roe Deer, and Sitka Deer all share the same skills as well, since they are basically all Deer anyway. It’s the same principle.
I know I wouldn’t like that personally. It just seems cheap. What’s the point in building your skills using Feral Hogs (found in LP, SC, and BRR) to make hunting Wild Boar (only in HF) easier? No thanks. I understand where you are coming from and can say it makes sense in a way, but from the game perspective it’s just no good.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

So visually between the two they are very different in real life, I have shot both. Have a look at the head shapes to start with. Find some side on images and you will notice that the Boar has quite a different head even between male and females. They can also get a lot bigger and their tusks are more prominent. So skill wise spotting between male and female pigs at level zero would be harder. Then also knowing what a high scoring Boar looks like compared to a feral one would not be something you could tell with zero skills. A 8cm tusk on a Feral Hog might be big, but on the Boar just standard. Then we get to tracking and because of the weight difference you might think a track you come across looks about the same size/depth and shape as a male Feral Hog... but it's actually just a female Boar.

I don't mean to sound rude mate and I realize that it's the only reference points you have... but books are not really the same as seeing it and doing it. Maybe read some books on tracking?? A pig is a pig yes... but this is a very blunt way to look at it.

Hope you are having a good weekend :)

P.s you also stated you like challenges... well combining them would make hunting each species less of a challenge ;)
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

I do think that things like Roosevelt and Rocky Mountain Elk should have the same tracking, but I could see how the spotting would be problematic as TreeKiwi says for hog/boar. I do wish EW's pig species didn't have the front leg in their neck, though, on a totally unrelated note lol.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

TreeKiwi wrote:So visually between the two they are very different in real life, I have shot both. Have a look at the head shapes to start with. Find some side on images and you will notice that the Boar has quite a different head even between male and females.
I think this may highly depend on localisation - or more precisely, how much time animals of domestic origin had, and do they had opportunity to cross-breed with "natural" wild boar. I guess there is much variability in animals that we can refer to as "Feral Hogs". Some of them might be still more like farm pigs, some more like wild boars. Btw. I had also occasion to see Wild Boars live. And features such as head shape can differ even in animals of similar size and gender. I've also read that sometimes even molecular studies are required to distinguish "ferals" from wild boar population.

But I take your point. It sound resonable enough.
BucksNBuffalo wrote:I mean really, if that’s the case, let’s just go ahead and have Whitetail, Blacktail, Mule Deer, Roe Deer, and Sitka Deer all share the same skills as well, since they are basically all Deer anyway. It’s the same principle.
Well, this is not exactly valid comparison, because while closely related, they are (not all however, as far as I know) of different species. Especially Roe Deer is completely different species and Genus if I recall correctly. And it is Euroasiatic species, so naturally do not coocur with others. Whitetail has totaly different racks than other representatives of its Genus, etc. This for spotting, however, when it comes to tracking - do one is realy able to distinguish between tracks of Whitetail, Mule Deer and Blacktail IRL? If so, then full respect.

But I understand your standpoint.
BucksNBuffalo wrote:What’s the point in building your skills using Feral Hogs (found in LP, SC, and BRR) to make hunting Wild Boar (only in HF) easier? No thanks. I understand where you are coming from and can say it makes sense in a way, but from the game perspective it’s just no good.
So I do admitt that I was looking at this mainly from Wild Boar hunter perspective, and as I said, I wouldn't propose that if there would be more maps with this animal. But you are right, from Feral Hog perspective it has much less sense.

But finaly, yes. I understand yours arguments, guys. This Was only proposition.
TheSheWolf wrote:I do wish EW's pig species didn't have the front leg in their neck, though, on a totally unrelated note lol.

Heh. Yeah. I think both animals could be "repaired". ;) But still I think that Ferals looks more natural then Wild Boars at the moment.
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

If you have ever eaten the 2 (as I have) there is a MASSIVE difference in the taste, feral hog is pretty well...... bacon/pork, but Wild Boar is really quite gamey, intensive and if not cooked right (or an old male) frankly pretty smelly, rancid....
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I'm pretty sure they are different. Feral hogs are domesticated hogs that have gotten loose and gone wild. They can range in size, color, etc. and often resemble domestic pigs. Wild boar are just that: wild. They have always been there without human intervention. They also tend to be more uniform in look.
So no, I don't think they should share the same skill set. Just as mentioned above, may as well lump all deer together, and the elk. Heck, maybe all three rabbits too.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Ok, guys. I can agree with you on one for sure - pure wild boars are probably more uniform in their look, usually featuring more bulky front boddy part, long snouts and brownish to almost black coloration and so on. Same time, feral hogs will be more diverse, and many of them would look more like farm swine.

However, this diversity among feral hogs can be realy broad. Look at the two examples from this page:
http://articles.extension.org/pages/636 ... feral-hogs

Second one, with is described as a hybrid between feral and pure wild boar, looks more like the last one for me. Maybe their front and back ar more even in size, but not all pure wild boars have this "perfect" anotomy too. I would say, that 3d model of "ferals" from the game is somewhere in the middle of their variety.

And I've agreed already, that your arguments are enough to convince me in terms of gameplay.

However I can not understand why you compare my idea to puting in one bag all so called deer species - even those that differ signifficantly in size, antlers, species and even genus.

I was proposing to merge skills for tracking and spotting representatives of single species. Ok, I've agreed that feral hogs may (but don't have to) differ enough from pure wild boars, to justife separate skills for them in terms of gameplay. I can go further and assume, that what is called in game as "Feral Hog" is always relatively "fresh" descendant of domesticated farm swine, without integlement of "fresh" blood from pure Euroasiatic Wild Boar. Then I can agree with you, that there will be always differences distinctive enough to distinguish "ferals" from pure wild boars by "skilled" eye. Ok, I can even accept that there is that more less constant (by avarage) difference in size and weight (however in reality, populations of wild boar can vary highly here, depending of subspecies - hence the localisation and its environment - some island populations have 50-60 kg by avarage :P ). To show this on another example - I was proposing more like to merge tracking and spotting skills of Labrador Retrivier and German Shepherd, with are races of same (sub)species. Not like Labrador with, lets say red fox.

So I feel it is a little unfair to compare my idea, how wrong it can be from gameplay standpoint, to merging skills of red deer and whitetail for example.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

No one is trying to be unfair my friend, and if you took it that way, my apologies as that was not the intention.
But let me explain just a little bit. No, merging skills with say Whitetail and Red Deer would not be right, because they are not really similar. But, what was said is merging Whitetail skills with Mule Deer, Blacktail, Sitka, and Roe Deer, because honestly, in using what you were proposing about the “slight differences between Feral Hog and Wild Boar”, the same could be said for those Deer species. What’s the difference between them? Antlers, that’s really it. They are all true deer species, and behave similar in real life as well. Sure, Mule Deer have larger ears, can be more stocky, etc. Do you see what we meant? ;) Also, just for the sake of argument, Red Deer are much more closely related to Elk, as they are the Elk’s European cousin. So, again if we were to combine skills, you would have Red Deer, Roosevelt Elk, and Rocky Mountain Elk all sharing the same skill set. Are you seeing how this would NOT be good in terms of gameplay? (I know you said you agree already in terms of gameplay). So just a little more explanation for you. Please, do not ever take replies to heart. Any idea is a good one, and it’s good for discussion ;)

Return to “Animal Suggestions”