Caribou on Whiterime Ridge?

ZTrophyBuckZ
Spotter

Caribou on Whiterime Ridge?

Post by ZTrophyBuckZ »

I think Caribou on Whiterime Ridge would be unique, since Whiterime Ridge is based off of an Alaskan tundrascape. They would be an alternative to Reindeer on Hemmeldal, just like Rocky Mountain Elk are alternative to Roosevelt Elk. I think the caribou should either be Barren-ground or Porcupine/Grant's, since they're the native caribou to Alaska/Canada, but they don't have to be called by their full name, just "Caribou".

Weight - Same as Reindeer
Scoring - Same as Reindeer
Rare variations - Albino, leucistic, piebald, melanistic.
Skorpiovenator

Re: Caribou on Whiterime Ridge?

Post by Skorpiovenator »

Definitely a +1 from me, as Hemmeldal isn't really my favourite map, but I do like hunting caribou in-game. The massive map size of WRR would be awesome for hunting them in, plus different antler configs would add some variety into it as well.
007aln
Spotter

Post by 007aln »

Agreed. I think it's a bit bizarre that there aren't caribou on the ALASKA map!! especially considering we already have the species for Hemmeldal. Ditto for wolves! Both are classic, iconic arctic/subarctic species.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

EW tried to put reindeer in WRR but found it did not work due to the mechanics of the in game species, which crosses the borders of the map they are on (passes through.)The ocean bordering much of WRR made it impossible to put reindeer there without redesigning the mechanics.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

They don't need to be the same species, though? Caribou aren't quite the same as reindeer and could just be around in herds? That said, I think WRR has enough animals already, really.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

totally agree.... the caribou have slightly wider racks, are more skinny, and have a taller build. We could change the AI of reindeer, and give the current reindeer a much darker coat, wider antlers and it would be like the difference between Rocky mountain elk and roosevelt elk. I have often questioned why are there no caribou/reindeer or ptarmigan on the Alaska map but we have bison?!?!
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

just a little reference to above.....
Bison in Alaska:

VS.

Caribou in Alaska:
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
Zycho
Spotter

Post by Zycho »

Species missing in Witherime Ridge:

Increase biodiversity, reduce the number of animals in principle (especially moose), but make caribou, musk ox or bison herds bigger!! And make polarbears appear not only on the ice, thats boring :D

Follow our crew on instagram
andrefrcaetano

Post by andrefrcaetano »

The Dev team actually said why they didnt add Reindeer in Whiterime Ridge.
Reindeer are migratory animals (you can read everything about this in theHunter Wiki page), so, in Hemmeldal, they will enter and leave the reserve, thats why they walk on a straight line.
This wouldnt work on Whiterime Ridge, since the reserve only has an etrance point from its outside, and it would be weird to enter the reserve in the same place that they leave.
Ardillamente
Tracker

Post by Ardillamente »

I agree with TheSheWolf, they could just be around the map in herds. Using a different species of them than the ones in Hemmeldal would be cool too, looks like from that map posted by Baloo.the.Dog, the Alaska-Yukon Barren Ground Caribou would be a good choice.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”