Mountain Lion. ( To Timbergold / RFF ? )

Tagord

Mountain Lion. ( To Timbergold / RFF ? )

Post by Tagord »

First off id like to state ive been playing this game for pretty much its entire existence ( on and off ) but really got hooked back into recently with the content updates, but the main thing ive always wanted in this game since the beginning was Big Cat hunting, Specifically Mountain Lions. I tend to do things better in a list format rather than just ranting in a very large paragraph so below ill list a few cool / interesting conecpt ideas that could go very well with this animal and things that would make this a game change / very fun hunt.

1.Dangerous - It goes without saying Mountain lions are very powerful and very stealthy animals in the wild, this could be incredibly interesting to hunt vs your standard bear / wolf hunting as they are EXTREMELY agile and could escape you rather easily if you dont play your cards right ( or worst ).
2. Insanely Fast / Agile - As i started to state above mountain lions are extremely agile, they can climb trees and traverse rocky areas with ease ( known to hunt bighorns on occasion ) SO this could implement a new interesting feature not really seen in the game before ( aside from like ibex climbing ) having the mountain lion being able to climb trees ( very optional but an interesting idea )
3. Easy to implement to an already established map, Timbergold would be the perfect fit as mountain lions exist with Elk, Deer, Wolves, Gizzlys and Bighorn sheep in a natural environment already. The main downside with Timbergold would be that you already have a few carnivores on that map to begin with so adding another large game animal would be kinda cramped, however most of those carnivores dont path to the mountains so that could be an advantage of the Mountain Lion
4. RFF isnt far fetched either, Mountain lions have been known to live in areas along side black bears and moose aswell as the others stated above so both maps could easily implement this. ( prob better on RFF tbh its kinda in need of another animal imo )
5. Lastely Mountain lions bring a ton of potential to the table, seeing as their habitat ranges in the Americas are very wide spread and they are a big game carnivore which we havent gotten since the Polar bear ( which is just another bear, awesome but still a bear ) so it would be a breath of fresh air in that department

Side note: Another interesting idea to go along with the mountain lion that i was thinking up earlier would be a new kind of hunting dog, although this feature wouldnt be needed to hunt mountain lions it could add alot to both mountain lion / hog / black bear hunting with chasing the animal up a tree or cornering it. im not sure how this could be implemented but im sure there are some very creative people in the community or people who have used hunting dogs in the field that could pitch tons of ideas on the area.

I hope the community / dev team will take this into consideration as i personally think there wouldn't be many things cooler than getting a trophy Mountain Lion in my hunting lodge. The possibilities with content on this animal are limitless. Sorry if i forgot a word here or there or seemed like i was abit out of it, been doing hunter comps for 10 hrs on stream so a bit exhausted but had to get this post out there before i forgot. Thank you for your time in reading the post let me know what you guys think. Happy Hunting!
Roby53
Spotter

Re: Mountain Lion. ( To Timbergold / RFF ? )

Post by Roby53 »

Yes, after the first feline, mountain lion in TGT would be great.
Especially in this area, would be a perfect habitat:
Furthermore that area is very extensive but little bit uninhabitated.
All those bighorn seems lone and bored :D
Tagord

Post by Tagord »

Roby53 wrote:Yes, after the first feline, mountain lion in TGT would be great.
Especially in this area, would be a perfect habitat:
Furthermore that area is very extensive but little bit uninhabitated.
All those bighorn seems lone and bored :D
Yep, Exactly what i was thinking, would add that extra animal to the higher part of the map aswell as be a new concept the game hasnt seen yet ( large cat ).
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

I would agree to that as well. The northern mountains in TgT- certainly need a critter up there, mountain lion (cougar) would be a good candidate. Even if there were a few of the Griz up that way, would improve the reserve. Currently it is stale and very boring hunt. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Mountain lion is probably on top of my list of animals that have yet to be released and we have great locations for them in TgT & RFF. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how we'd hunt them in-game. As has been stated by the devs numerous times, we can't have them climb trees. This wasn't as big of a concern with the bobcat because, while they CAN climb trees, that's not the normal way to hunt them. The normal way to hunt bobcats is with an e-caller or handheld calls. Mountain lions, on the other hand, are primarily hunted with dogs, which run them up into either a tree or a high rock, where the shooter can then approach and take a shot. Many hunters follow their dogs on horseback, as they can run mountain lions 5-6 miles at times. theHunter isn't capable of doing this (cats in trees, on rocks), unless something changes down the road.

While it is possible to call them in with an e-caller, it is very controversial, and in most states (including Colorado) it is illegal. Calling them in with a handheld call can work, but that's about like standing outside holding a metal rod during a lightning storm...not advisable, unless you fancy finding yourself in some cat scat.
DarkLord
Scout

Post by DarkLord »

I would hope that EW would not make them too aggressive or dangerous. There has only been a handful of recorded fatal cougar attacks in North America, and most of those were unattended children. They don't normally attack humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... th_America
Spoiler:
INSANEPAPPY60
Outfitter

Post by INSANEPAPPY60 »

Would love to see the Big Cat in Timbergold/RFF I have wanted this seems like forever
Tagord

Post by Tagord »

DarkLord wrote:I would hope that EW would not make them too aggressive or dangerous. There has only been a handful of recorded fatal cougar attacks in North America, and most of those were unattended children. They don't normally attack humans.

Totally agree, it would be more of a challenge rather than worrying about getting eaten 24/7. Main attraction would be how stealthy and fast the animal is.
Tagord

Post by Tagord »

DarkLord wrote:I would hope that EW would not make them too aggressive or dangerous. There has only been a handful of recorded fatal cougar attacks in North America, and most of those were unattended children. They don't normally attack humans.

On a side note that i forgot to put in my last comment, Mountain lion attacks are about as common as a black bear attack so the danger level would be about that. only 1 per year on average.
Tagord

Post by Tagord »

Hawkeye wrote:Mountain lion is probably on top of my list of animals that have yet to be released and we have great locations for them in TgT & RFF. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how we'd hunt them in-game. As has been stated by the devs numerous times, we can't have them climb trees. This wasn't as big of a concern with the bobcat because, while they CAN climb trees, that's not the normal way to hunt them. The normal way to hunt bobcats is with an e-caller or handheld calls. Mountain lions, on the other hand, are primarily hunted with dogs, which run them up into either a tree or a high rock, where the shooter can then approach and take a shot. Many hunters follow their dogs on horseback, as they can run mountain lions 5-6 miles at times. theHunter isn't capable of doing this (cats in trees, on rocks), unless something changes down the road.

While it is possible to call them in with an e-caller, it is very controversial, and in most states (including Colorado) it is illegal. Calling them in with a handheld call can work, but that's about like standing outside holding a metal rod during a lightning storm...not advisable, unless you fancy finding yourself in some cat scat.
Great point, the main thing i was worried about was the dog hunting as you stated, cause ive never seen them hunted any other way. Hand Held callers could be fun tho :P, Another electronic caller hunt would be a huge pass from me tho, find it pretty boring sadly.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”