Why do we still not have a cat?

JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Re: Why do we still not have a cat?

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Hawkeye wrote:
JamboWhoDat wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Not anymore than Razorbacks exist in Arkansas
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't feral hogs called razorbacks in Arkansas? In real life the feral hogs I've come across in Louisiana resemble more like the wild boar in the game than the in game feral hog, and I will assume the same is true in Arkansas.
They aren't true "razorback hogs" anymore. They've been interbred with feral hogs for over a hundred years, and no longer resemble a true razorback. I'm in NW Arkansas, and the feral hogs up here look just like the ones you'd find in-game. Down south in the swamp, you might find some that look more like a Russian boar, which is where our mascot was captured. The team mascot used to be the Cardinals, but after playing LSU in 1910, some coach said they played like a "wild band of Razorback hogs", and the mascot name was changed.
Thanks for that interesting bit of trivia. Sounds like you're indebted to my LSU tigers for giving Arkansas a more fierce mascot than that puny little cardinal. Just keep losing to us and we will call it even. :D I had to look up what a Russian boar looked like and the hogs I see on my trail cameras down here in SE Louisiana definitely look more like that too.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

JamboWhoDat wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
JamboWhoDat wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't feral hogs called razorbacks in Arkansas? In real life the feral hogs I've come across in Louisiana resemble more like the wild boar in the game than the in game feral hog, and I will assume the same is true in Arkansas.
They aren't true "razorback hogs" anymore. They've been interbred with feral hogs for over a hundred years, and no longer resemble a true razorback. I'm in NW Arkansas, and the feral hogs up here look just like the ones you'd find in-game. Down south in the swamp, you might find some that look more like a Russian boar, which is where our mascot was captured. The team mascot used to be the Cardinals, but after playing LSU in 1910, some coach said they played like a "wild band of Razorback hogs", and the mascot name was changed.
Thanks for that interesting bit of trivia. Sounds like you're indebted to my LSU tigers for giving Arkansas a more fierce mascot than that puny little cardinal. Just keep losing to us and we will call it even. :D I had to look up what a Russian boar looked like and the hogs I see on my trail cameras down here in SE Louisiana definitely look more like that too.
Yeah, I'll take Razorback over Cardinal any day of the week. We're done losing to LSU though. ;)
FatMountainbear
Hunter

Post by FatMountainbear »

The mountain lion stands high on my wishlist for theHunter and an amount of other players. I do hope that they will be added soon on one of the existing maps like Tgt, Rff or even WHI.
HRMarvin
Spotter

Post by HRMarvin »

If there would be a Cat!!!
then maybe it could be a ‎North American cougar
but as I see on TV show call 'Alaskan mountain Men'
this mountain lion Is only Hunted if come into human habitation It can be then It Drifting Away it only killed at a last Resort.
Marvin.
Spoiler:
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Hawkeye wrote:
JamboWhoDat wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Not anymore than Razorbacks exist in Arkansas
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't feral hogs called razorbacks in Arkansas? In real life the feral hogs I've come across in Louisiana resemble more like the wild boar in the game than the in game feral hog, and I will assume the same is true in Arkansas.
Wait, I thought "razorback" was just the southern word for feral pigs? Is there another species or had they adopted a new body type before more pigs escaped, or?
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

TheSheWolf wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
JamboWhoDat wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't feral hogs called razorbacks in Arkansas? In real life the feral hogs I've come across in Louisiana resemble more like the wild boar in the game than the in game feral hog, and I will assume the same is true in Arkansas.
Wait, I thought "razorback" was just the southern word for feral pigs? Is there another species or had they adopted a new body type before more pigs escaped, or?
They were different, but had been breeding with feral hogs long enough that they're mostly indistinguishable.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Hawkeye wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote: Wait, I thought "razorback" was just the southern word for feral pigs? Is there another species or had they adopted a new body type before more pigs escaped, or?
They were different, but had been breeding with feral hogs long enough that they're mostly indistinguishable.
Can I ask what they were? I'm trying to find info and it looks like some people are saying it was a word for European wild boar, and others just called feral hogs that. Did you guys have escaped Russians (Europeans) out there or was it ferals that had a different appearance? I'm really curious as to what the difference was. As a New Yorker I've never run into any of them (thank god, imagine wild boar running around the beaches and suburbs...).

Also, on topic, I assume we're getting a bobcat, given Alena's new avatar :D
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

TheSheWolf wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote: Wait, I thought "razorback" was just the southern word for feral pigs? Is there another species or had they adopted a new body type before more pigs escaped, or?
Can I ask what they were? I'm trying to find info and it looks like some people are saying it was a word for European wild boar, and others just called feral hogs that. Did you guys have escaped Russians (Europeans) out there or was it ferals that had a different appearance? I'm really curious as to what the difference was. As a New Yorker I've never run into any of them (thank god, imagine wild boar running around the beaches and suburbs...).

Opinions will vary, but in the south, particularly in Arkansas, if a wild hog looks to have more traits of a Russian Boar, then they will call it a Razorback. Yes, there has been Russian Boars released and escaped in the U.S., so those genetics are in the mix. So if a wild hog has a longer snout, is black, and has a line of long hair running down it's back, then it's assumed that it has a fair bit of Russian boar in it's genes and is called a Razorback rather than just a feral hog.

IMO
Personal Bests...
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Fletchette wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

Opinions will vary, but in the south, particularly in Arkansas, if a wild hog looks to have more traits of a Russian Boar, then they will call it a Razorback. Yes, there has been Russian Boars released and escaped in the U.S., so those genetics are in the mix. So if a wild hog has a longer snout, is black, and has a line of long hair running down it's back, then it's assumed that it has a fair bit of Russian boar in it's genes and is called a Razorback rather than just a feral hog.

IMO
I see, thanks for the detailed info! I had no idea :)
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

HRMarvin wrote:mountain lion Is only Hunted if come into human habitation It can be then It Drifting Away it only killed at a last Resort.
Marvin.
Cougar / Mountain Lion are legally hunting in 10 states and 2 Canadian Provinces. per;
https://www.google.com/search?q=What+st ... BCoQzmcIQg

Very interesting stuff here as well;
http://www.mountainlion.org/sport_hunting.asp
Signature Stats
Spoiler:

Return to “Animal Suggestions”