spotting parameters

maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Re: spotting parameters

Post by maros.kuzar »

Hawkeye wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:The size & proportions of the "new" bears haven't changed. Only the skin & fur textures, animations and sounds were updated.
maros.kuzar wrote:And he did not say they have changed ;-)
Somehow I interpreted this:
DarkLord wrote:With the old bear models, you could compare a contender with the other bears in the area, looking at the size and proportions of the head and body to get an idea of where its top end might be, but the new bears all look the same to me and it's made matters worse. :?
to mean that bears have changed, as he is stating you used to be able to compare the size and portions, but now the bears all look the same. Where have I got it wrong?
I think (and bet) by that he meant that it is now way harded to guesstimate bears score, not that the scores changed ;-)
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

considering they have added textures that make them look fury and arnt smooth wrap skins, so yeah its harder than ever to compare them. and it still relies on a smaller bear to compare it to. is the other bear tiny and a medium or medium and a trophy?
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

DarkLord wrote:With the old bear models, you could compare a contender... , but the new bears all look the same...
I don't see any other way to interpret this than, "Bear models changed". Which is not accurate. Textures, animations, AI & sounds have changed, but the models are the same. In particular, the head sizes. It was always very difficult to field judge them. You could compare several bears near each other but that still didn't determine that the largest one was a trophy, only that it was larger than the others.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

It was suggested many times to get the bears looking more realistic by varying body proportions. Anyone who has an experience with bears will tell you that you can estimate the size of a bear simply by the size of the ears. A large bear will have small ears, a small bear large ears, etc. This is something that has been wished since the very first Black Bears began roaming Redfeather Falls some years ago. I was really hoping that when EW remodeled the bears that they were gonna do this, as it's been known by them for years. But...here we are, still the same. Tod1d summed it up nicely
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

maros.kuzar wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:The size & proportions of the "new" bears haven't changed. Only the skin & fur textures, animations and sounds were updated.
maros.kuzar wrote:And he did not say they have changed ;-)
Somehow I interpreted this:
DarkLord wrote:With the old bear models, you could compare a contender with the other bears in the area, looking at the size and proportions of the head and body to get an idea of where its top end might be, but the new bears all look the same to me and it's made matters worse. :?
to mean that bears have changed, as he is stating you used to be able to compare the size and portions, but now the bears all look the same. Where have I got it wrong?
I think (and bet) by that he meant that it is now way harded to guesstimate bears score, not that the scores changed ;-)
I took it that he meant the models changed, making scores harder to estimate. Wasn't talking about score changes.
DarkLord
Scout

Post by DarkLord »

Hawkeye wrote:
DarkLord wrote:IMO the problem is the game intentionally gives the player misleading information about the animal by putting it in the highest spotting range possible. For instance if the game spawns a 21.015 black bear, instead of putting it the appropriate spotting range of 18-22 it will almost always put it in 21-24 range. It does this for the weight as well. If a black bear weighs 211 kg it will say 210-290kg instead of 150-240 kg. The game tries its best to make you shoot low scoring animals thinking they are high scoring. Only at level 20 when you get the two point spread does the game stop being able to trick you. Brown bears are the same way.

It has been a source of much frustration for me over the years, especially when I ruin my barrel shooting a scrub bear that the game said was a monster. With the old bear models, you could compare a contender with the other bears in the area, looking at the size and proportions of the head and body to get an idea of where its top end might be, but the new bears all look the same to me and it's made matters worse. :?
The size & proportions of the "new" bears haven't changed. Only the skin & fur textures, animations and sounds were updated.
The new bears are not just reskins, they are completely new 3d models, and the proportions of the head and body were changed. The old bear models had much larger heads (esp for a 23.x or 28.x, it was easier to tell when they were high scoring. But don't take my word for it...

http://news.thehunter.com/game-update-127/
Alena Rybik wrote:Bear Revamp – Black and Brown Bears got new models and animations!
Players discussing how the new heads are much smaller, I.E. new proportions.
http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=77383

Or you could just look at them and see the difference.

And I thought this thread was about bear spotting and how the game presents that information to the player, not whether the bears have new models or not.
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

DarkLord wrote:
And I thought this thread was about bear spotting and how the game presents that information to the player, not whether the bears have new models or not.
The Title should have been, "Bear spotting parameters and anything else you would like or dislike to discuss about Bear info".......... :lol:

And since bears are hard to field judge, maybe just maybe the op has a great point about weight/score animals with a better weight/score spotting info.

@ L3M182

No. 4 did catch my eye.
Except it should have way shorter increment times like I suggested in my 1st post......... :lol:

Return to “Animal Suggestions”