Time for a Deer Overhaul

Catafesta
Tracker

Re: Time for a Deer Overhaul

Post by Catafesta »

A lot of great suggestions here. Devs should take a look at this topic.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

Yeah, there are some really good ones, we especially like the rubs one, and trails, if we find the way to implement them without making it too easy. I've passed them on to our game designer, he'll see what we can do. I can say right away that corn feeders will probably never be introduced, and we have some concerns about an antler call because it would make all our existing callers obsolete.
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

Alena Rybik wrote:Yeah, there are some really good ones, we especially like the scrubs and rubs one, and trails, if we find the way to implement them without making it too easy. I've passed them on to our game designer, he'll see what we can do. I can only say right away that corn feeders will probably never be introduced, and we have some concerns about an antler caller because it would make all our existing callers obsolete.
Cool! Some more info:

-Scrapes* hehe. Scrapes would only be done by average or larger bucks. A fresh scrape would have urine in it, and the ground scraped and cleared completely of leaves, and we should expect that the buck or other bucks will come check it out within a few hours. It's a generally territorial thing. They are done below low overhanging limbs and leaves, and the deer leave a pheromone from glands on their head on the leaves above. Then they pee in it. Some times several scrapes are done in a line. By dominant bucks. Towards the rut, they fire up other bucks and they start messing with each other's scrapes if they're confident and dominant. During the rut, when a doe is ready to breed, sometimes she'll start visiting a scrape of a dominant buck to let him know she's in the area and getting hot. This would be where we spray that deer urine bottle we have in the game, by the way. So if we find a fresh scrape in game, it would be a decent setup. Older scrapes would have some leaves and twigs over top, with no urine. We could make a scrape somewhat freshened by spraying our urne bottle there. A fresh scrape would have high attractance for the original buck, and moderate attractance for other bucks, and low attractance for does. An old scrape would have moderately low attractance towards the original buck only.

-Rubs are first done in the summer to rub velvet off of growing antlers. At this time, a buck's range is quote large and they will follow pretty strict patterns for food and bed. Towards the rut, it becomes a way of building neck muscles for fighting, and a result of built up testosterone and adrenaline. Before the rut, a fresh rub is a good sign because a buck's range is small during this time. They tend to hunker down right before the rut. when the rut hits, bucks are everywhere and anywhere looking for does. Generally, they're done in lines. Called a rub line. Where a buck will hit a few trees in a line in one area. This is telling that this is his home. These are also sometimes visited by other bucks and does.

-Trails would be kind of hard to implement, but they need to just be more hotly used paths. They would generally and naturally coincide with scrapes and rubs because that's where the deer are. They can't be the only places deer go though. Trails tend to be used more by does and young bucks than mature bucks. Mature bucks do their own thing generally. Trails would be to connect bedding areas to food sources.

-A combination of scrapes, rubs, and trails would be MASSIVE for the game and satisfy every deer hunter. North American hunters would go nuts over this in a positive way. We have to be able to pattern deer and make good setups. You find good sign, then you can set some stands up on them.

-We don't need corn feeders for deer.

-I think if you implemented scrapes rubs, and trails as I mentioned...we wouldn't need food plots or feeders. Because this way we could at least find deer sign and make a good patternable setup. You should really consider food plots if not. Both if you want to be perfect deer hunting game. North American hunters would go nuts on them. They're huge over here. In game, they could be bought in 10m x 10m roughly square patches and placed on any relatively flat surface without trees. Same basic gameplay mechanics as feeders. You buy and place tilled squares. Then you buy seed, like buying hog corn. Seed it like filling feeder. Need to re-seed when crop gets used up. The amount of squares stack attractance. Maximum attractance is 10 squares, like having a full spread of decoys. Location still matters like the feeders.

-The antler caller would only attract bucks. You could sell it for more than the regular deer calls because it's more efficient for calling in what we want. But it's realistic.

I can help a ton with this if you need more info and ideas.

EDITED IT. Re-read!
Last edited by Sqwee on August 7th, 2015, 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Thanks Alena for the reply!! I kinda gathered that about the corn feeder from earlier posts, and Yes, I think I understand the difficulties of having 3 calls for one animal.

But food plots, trails, rubs....all tremendous improvements.

Thanks for passing this on. Keep us informed.
Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

Yes, thank you for reading this and giving it some thought Alena. What a great post Sqwee. I agree that if we could pattern these deer food plots wouldn't be needed really. It would be great to have both, and we would go nuts over this game here in the states as well as all over the world if it happened.

I just want to be able to setup my stand and relive that same ambush experience ingame that some of us get to live in the real world.
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

Raptor02 wrote:Yes, thank you for reading this and giving it some thought Alena. What a great post Sqwee. I agree that if we could pattern these deer food plots wouldn't be needed really. It would be great to have both, and we would go nuts over this game here in the states as well as all over the world if it happened.

I just want to be able to setup my stand and relive that same ambush experience ingame that some of us get to live in the real world.
Thanks.

IRL, you don't set up over top of scrapes, but more the trails linking them to the beds and food. Morning and evening setups are completely different, and every scrape line or rub line can tell you something different. Real life deer scouting is very complex, but it doesn't need to be that crazy in the game. Simply having scrapes, rubs, and trails, with bedding areas and food sources that you can locate and understand the deer movement to a moderate degree would be good enough.

I like being deep in the woods on a fair-chase basis, having located good sign, rather than setting up on food plots or feeders. Even when you have food plots and feeders, you generally don't set up on top of them if you want mature deer. You want to create deer movement with those things so you can find an ambush point between the food source and bedding area. Coinciding with rubs and scrapes. And if you can enter that area laterally, with the wind in your face...that's dynamite.
wvdeerhunter
Tracker

Post by wvdeerhunter »

Sqwee wrote: IRL, you don't set up over top of scrapes, but more the trails linking them to the beds and food. Morning and evening setups are completely different, and every scrape line or rub line can tell you something different. Real life deer scouting is very complex, but it doesn't need to be that crazy in the game. Simply having scrapes, rubs, and trails, with bedding areas and food sources that you can locate and understand the deer movement to a moderate degree would be good enough.
Yepper, thanks Sqwee. Great post. Appreciate your attention to detail on this.
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

wvdeerhunter wrote:Yepper, thanks Sqwee. Great post. Appreciate your attention to detail on this.
My pleasure. Whitetail hunting is my main attraction to hunting in general and it is of utmost importance for this game to get it right, especially with how many people hunting them IRL in North America. If they get deer hunting right, theHunter will blow up. haha
Robotjuke

Post by Robotjuke »

+1 to all. Would love to see more advanced Ai functions for deers ( other animals too) in-game, as the game is built around it. even small updates slowly adding more functions would be great. as i rarely see them doing anything else other then walking around and homing on to your calls.

I been in a tree stand and a group of bucks come along and you jest become invisible. even when i'm calling or moving around they don't seem to care that theirs a person in a tree next to them and as long as you keep making the calls they jest stand next to you. i would love to see them investigate the calls and do some more things.
Spoiler:
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

Robotjuke wrote:+1 to all. Would love to see more advanced Ai functions for deers ( other animals too) in-game, as the game is built around it. even small updates slowly adding more functions would be great. as i rarely see them doing anything else other then walking around and homing on to your calls.

I been in a tree stand and a group of bucks come along and you jest become invisible. even when i'm calling or moving around they don't seem to care that theirs a person in a tree next to them and as long as you keep making the calls they jest stand next to you. i would love to see them investigate the calls and do some more things.
Yep. Movement should matter more. And you should have to time your gear switching and drawing of your bow. They should be able to see these movements.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”