Squirrels, Pigeons, wolverine

PastorChris

Squirrels, Pigeons, wolverine

Post by PastorChris »

Fox, and grey squirrels, along with pigeons. You could shoot pigeons around the lodges
xOEDragonx

Re: Squirrels, Pigeons, wolverine

Post by xOEDragonx »

I doubt we'll see pigeons anywhere in the near future in this game. Many people in real life enjoy hunting them however, they likely wouldn't vary too much from the ptarmigan that are already in the game. They would still essentially be just small birds that sit and make noise then flush when you're near them. One difference I could see would be that pigeons would be more likely to flush in a group of several individuals so a single blast with the shotgun could kill more than one at a time. But aside from that, they would be designed similar enough to the ptarmigan that I'm not sure they'd make a unique experience for hunters, thus they wouldn't be worth the devs time to make. Plus, many players of this game absolutely hate ptarmigan, which can't really be said for any other species in the game. As one of the more hated animals, I'm not sure another similar animal would be anymore welcomed by the community.

Squirrels are something that have been requested many times. The reason they aren't in the game now is that the old engine this game was built in makes it incredibly difficult (maybe impossible?) to have animals interact with their environment. This means animals can't be designed to climb trees with the current engine. Running up trees is such an important characteristic of most squirrel species that it would be odd to have them in the game without it. Thus, they haven't been included yet. Perhaps one day EW will overcome the old technology and find a way to make it work. If not, you might have to wait for a sequel to the game to ever see them.

Wolverine is a different story. I know that a lot of people trap them (as well as many other small game species we don't yet have) and this may be why they haven't been included. I'm sure there are a good many people that shoot them, but is that the prime way to hunt them? If I was playing this game and saw a raccoon, or an opossum, or even a wolverine skitter by you can bet that I'd shoot it. But I probably wouldn't be nearly as satisfied as I would be shooting a deer or something else since that's not the way those species are normally "hunted" to me. So the wolverine would probably be the most likely of your three recommendations, but I'm not aware of an overwhelming desire for them so I probably wouldn't expect to see them anytime soon.
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

xOEDragonx wrote:Plus, many players of this game absolutely hate ptarmigan, which can't really be said for any other species in the game.
I'm sad to hear this since ptarmigans are my favored small game in this game. :/

At the same time, I don't feel a need for first two animals mentioned by the OP. I see them more as city parks dwelling creatures, with are fed by grannies, than as huntable species.

With wolverine this is different story. ;)
Zaitzev82
Spotter

Post by Zaitzev82 »

I have done very little bird hunting in this game aside from geese. I started hunting ptarmigans a little when the competition went up a few days ago, but had a really hard time finding them. An MP server I was on was hosted by a guy who told me a tactic which seems to work fairly good, you just have to find the spots first. Ptarmigan hunting involves a LOT of searching for sure. Quite fun though :)
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

xOEDragonx wrote:I doubt we'll see pigeons anywhere in the near future in this game. Many people in real life enjoy hunting them however, they likely wouldn't vary too much from the ptarmigan that are already in the game. They would still essentially be just small birds that sit and make noise then flush when you're near them.Plus, many players of this game absolutely hate ptarmigan, which can't really be said for any other species in the game. As one of the more hated animals, I'm not sure another similar animal would be anymore welcomed by the community.
gas56 wrote: Then again the forum is not the solid place to think the Ptarmigans are hated. Pigeons would more than likely have to be in a farming map, be on the basis of flybys and the hunter shooting them not so unlike ducks but at a lower altitude to shoot them as they pass by as doves also do. The Wood Pigeon is a favorite shooter in some European countries.
Squirrels are something that have been requested many times. The reason they aren't in the game now is that the old engine this game was built in makes it incredibly difficult (maybe impossible?) to have animals interact with their environment. This means animals can't be designed to climb trees with the current engine. Running up trees is such an important characteristic of most squirrel species that it would be odd to have them in the game without it. Thus, they haven't been included yet. Perhaps one day EW will overcome the old technology and find a way to make it work. If not, you might have to wait for a sequel to the game to ever see them.
gas56 wrote: This is what EW tells you about the engine and squirrels, but didn't they make rabbit burrows?. Imagine a tree with a hole at the base of the tree and a hole twenty feet up it. problem solved.
Wolverine is a different story. I know that a lot of people trap them (as well as many other small game species we don't yet have) and this may be why they haven't been included. I'm sure there are a good many people that shoot them, but is that the prime way to hunt them? If I was playing this game and saw a raccoon, or an opossum, or even a wolverine skitter by you can bet that I'd shoot it. But I probably wouldn't be nearly as satisfied as I would be shooting a deer or something else since that's not the way those species are normally "hunted" to me. So the wolverine would probably be the most likely of your three recommendations, but I'm not aware of an overwhelming desire for them so I probably wouldn't expect to see them anytime soon.
gas56 wrote:But did we expect to see Feral Goats when we got them? I would have rather seen a Mourning Dove:)
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Zaitzev82 wrote:I have done very little bird hunting in this game aside from geese. I started hunting ptarmigans a little when the competition went up a few days ago, but had a really hard time finding them. An MP server I was on was hosted by a guy who told me a tactic which seems to work fairly good, you just have to find the spots first. Ptarmigan hunting involves a LOT of searching for sure. Quite fun though :)
Heh, this is small off-topic, but I agree. They are a lot of fun to me too. :) I don't know what you've been told, but I've found that when you reach general area, where they "live" (spawn, travel, etc.) it is fairly easy to find them simply by ear ;) One just need to fallow wing flutter and/or cackling (headphones are very useful, at least for me - much easier to "read" direction a sound is coming from). :) And thanks to species-environment combination, and size variation, they provide also some gradation in challenge - for me personaly, rock ptarmigans being probably the easiest, and whitetailed ones the hardest. :)
lse2003

Post by lse2003 »

pigeons would make the .22 air rifle more useful because it is quieter than the .22 rifle.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Mourning dove in Settler Creeks and Pigeon is Hirschfelden and Bushrangers Run.
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!

Return to “Animal Suggestions”