Traps?

brockblocks

Traps?

Post by brockblocks »

What if we were to have Live Traps, Leg holds & Hog traps? I think it would be fun to setup traps log off then log back in latter and have animals! Maybe we could have a "Traps" section like feeders. Maybe a timer too so we can't just log off then log back in and have Animals, Before you ask about animals i'm thinking for leg traps Foxes, Artic Foxes, Coyotes & Bobcat. For Live Traps we can have Rabbits (all of them). Let me know your thoughts and changes! :D :D :D
Knut
Outfitter

Re: Traps?

Post by Knut »

I agree that trapping is an integral part of the hunting world and can be plenty fun when done in reality. However, I don't see making rounds to check the traps making for a good game. Trapping is strategy and as a game it simply doesn't work, IMO. A game would need to be extremely complex and mimick animal behaviour (feeding and resting times and areas, paths taken etc.) to an extremely high detail, as well as landscape, to make it work. I don't see that as being feasibly possible at all and certainly not in the game as it is now.
And without it, it wouldn't be a complex strategy to trap but merely a dull sequence of tasks and a certain part luck. Doesn't make for a good game in my eyes.
So for me that's a no.

And that's even before I start to dive into the topic of inhumane leg holds and other certain type of traps.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

I'm with Knut. I don't see it making for interesting gameplay. Technical restrictions aside, this would just be a way of getting animals while you get on with your real life. Alright, you'd have to buy the equipment and place it somewhere, but it seems kind of pointless in a game. If asked to vote, I would probably give it a "no".
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

I can see why u guys would say no. Back when i made my Environment Suggestion in form of a complete Reserve that would include Racoons i came up with a more active solution for traps that would make them less static. Its on the second page of Environment Suggestions called Miners Rest , look it up if havent seen it already. I still would like to see a mechanic like to see something like that implemented if we ever get a fitting animal and the mechanic behind is well done and not to boring.
brockblocks

Post by brockblocks »

I would say Knut has the best anwser, hopefully in the future when the game gets better we can have some sort of traps!
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

I'd be for it but I'd want it done like this:

- Every time you spawn in each trap has a chance of spawning an animal affixed to it (already dead, or lying down depending on size); spawn chance varies using the same mechanic as baiting -- this is the only way I can think of this working without causing problems on a technical level
- Traps must be 400m from lodges and tents, if not further
- Certain traps only catch certain species, so no illegal, inhumane wrongly-sized traps
- Traps must be checked manually, no checking to see if you caught anything without walking there in the game yourself
- Failing to retrieve a trapped animal if you spawn in and don't check the traps (and one had been caught) results in a 72-hour trapping ban
- On top of that, if you're penalized, all your traps are cleared from all maps and you have to put them back by hand

Done right, it could be fun. I don't see it as much different from the bait sites.

(Edited to change my ideas for penalties to make them less punitive since that was before I realized it'd be easier to program the traps to work upon spawning instead of when you're out of the game)
Last edited by WolfLQ on December 20th, 2017, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

WolfLQ wrote:I'd be for it but I'd want it done like this:

- Every time you spawn in each trap has a chance of spawning an animal affixed to it (already dead, or lying down depending on size); spawn chance varies using the same mechanic as baiting -- this is the only way I can think of this working without causing problems on a technical level
- Traps must be 400m from lodges and tents, if not further
- Certain traps only catch certain species, so no illegal, inhumane wrongly-sized traps
- Traps must be checked manually, no checking to see if you caught anything without walking there in the game yourself
- Failing to retrieve a trapped animal within 24 hours of placing it results in a 72-hour trapping ban
- On top of that, if you're penalized, all your traps are cleared from all maps and you have to put them back by hand

Done right, it could be fun. I don't see it as much different from the bait sites.
Some interesting ideas. I'm not sure everyone would agree with such strict penalties, but they could be a way to counteract the "automation" of trapping in the came.
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

The penalties could definitely be scaled back, you're right, I came up with that before I realized it would be WAY too much of a PITA to program it to trap animals while you're not ingame. So that'd need to be changed. I'll edit.
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

trapping is trapping and not hunting. hunting is not trapping. this topic has been brought up a few times over the last 8 + years. the majority of the people in the forum were against trapping. if you want to know how they feel, search "trapping" in the search box..there's about 1400 or so posts..

as you can tell, i'm not for trapping. it causes to much pain and suffering on animals before they die...one of the unwritten rules of hunting is, to make the cleanest and most painless shot as possible to avoid the animal suffering...
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

Return to “Equipment Suggestions”