.454 ammo for Water Buffalo ...

DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

.454 ammo for Water Buffalo ...

Post by DYEUZ »

Thoughts from exps

- A little disappointed in the .454 ammo for WB. Shot couple of them at close range , broadside and the results were not good .
Even shooting some of them one other time , they still ran only to have body shots shown .
I am not one that will empty his gun / rifle on animals . Usually try to make that good shot .

- Unless you are countering an attack , really close range , brain shot , i think the .454 ammo is a little too weak .
Wondering if it wouldn't be better with bows / xbows , in same conditions.

Almost thinking that it should be remove from permitted ammo for them . Your thoughts .

I will get Doc's message because i quit on tracking them :? :lol:
tyvm
Last edited by DYEUZ on December 29th, 2017, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

BCKidd

Re: .454 ammo for Water Buffalo ...

Post by BCKidd »

EW tuff'nd up the four legged tank. I saw a vid by HC where he is only standing a few short meters from the WB, it charged him and from how it looked on the vid he nailed it in the head, it turned and ran away, he even managed another shot but the WB didn't go down then even. So, yeah, seems a little weak for those tanks. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I've noticed this as well now that they beefed up the buffalo (pun intended). I had a female charge me, so I shot her once with the .454 just to stop the charge. It was a bad shot, so she turned to run and immediately got stuck on a tree. I ran around her to see if I could get her to run another direction and get unstuck, but to no avail. So I stood a couple meters from her and shot her broadside with the .454. She didn't drop so I did it again. And again. And again. It took five shots, four being broadside in the lungs, to bring her down. When I harvested her, every single shot said body. If the .454 can't penetrate a lung from a couple meters away, then the .454 probably isn't a very good choice for them anymore.

Edit: This is her. Odd though, the first shot was definitely during a charge and the four consecutive shots were while she was running into a tree (she did slow to a walk for the last shot) The wound time was me running around her waiting for her to get unstuck before I finally gave up on her XD

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/xoed ... /580865269
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: xOEDragonx ... One would think that from your story, at least 1 would have hit the lungs / heart , but no ! :shock:
Wow ! Those were pretty close shots also . :o Deffo not powerful enough , proof is there .
Thx guys for sharing .

I got my lesson anyway, will not bring .454 ammo for them no more . Did not test on Bantengs, but don't think it will be any different .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”