New hunter position

Elrique64
Spotter

New hunter position

Post by Elrique64 »

Many of the real life hunters know this already....

Besides the obvious positions of standing and prone, there is a very missed position of sitting in the game. By sitting I mean just that. You put your tail bone on the ground, legs out in front or crossed, elbows on your knees to steady your arms, shoulder the firearm and shoot. This is a time honored hunting stance and one I think we could make use of in game. The stability it provides is greatly enhanced over standing, but slightly less than prone.

Also with this idea is the use of slings as stability devices. A standing shooter that knows the proper use of a sling (And practiced with it!) can hold a firearm steadier than a less experienced shooter can hold prone.

Then there's rests. Shooting next to a tree or rock, a RL hunter would normally rest his off hand against the tree and cradle the firearm on either his wrist or thumb. This increases the stability of a shot significantly. The problem I see with implementing this in game is the hit box sizes of the trees and rocks. I have been prone on a rock in Whiterime Ridge shooting at a Dall Ram and had the bullet hit the rock right in front of me. As in between the end of the barrel and the chamber, right in front of me... The hitbox is HUGE for some of the environmental objects... (I have also had an arrow suspended 4-5" above the railings of tree stands more than once, due to this. I can see the animal clearly in the sight, but I still put the arrow into the railing.)

I don't know how much prone increases the "shooting skill" when you shoot a firearm in game, but I expect it might be similar to the tripod, where it adds a certain amount of skill to a shooter's base skill. Sling shooting should do the same, as should sitting position. I know we have deployable tripods we can use. These provide some stability and increase the skill of the shooter when using them. What I'm not sure of, are they considered an environment object, such as a stand or tent is? Or are they more like the calls, where you have them with you, but they aren't deployed until the firearm is deployed? (And what about weapon mounted bipods? Can we possibly get these added in game?)
Our freedoms have been bought by the blood of our Veterans. Pay them back with love, kindness and support.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”