Large Game Rifles for Water Buffalo and Banteng

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Large Game Rifles for Water Buffalo and Banteng

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Seeing how we are finally getting some large, thick skinned dangerous game, I thought it would be right to look at some guns to bring them down.
I had the idea of having two rifles for this task. A bolt action and a side by side double.

As for the bolt rifle- a few already went through my head. The first being- of course -a Magnum Mauser.
On the topic of cartridges, I would very much like to see the .404 Rimless Jeffery NE. A classic big game round, which has made quite a name for itsself
by serving with African game departments. It is said, that, while .416 Rigby takes all the praise, .404 Jeffery did all the work.
The round is also favourable, because its recoil isn't as violent as that of the .416 and it is also applicable to smaller sized game.
With the right bullet, you can shoot everything from Dik-Dik to Elephant with it.
The .375H&H, although a great cartridge, has a power level, that is already exhibited by our .340 and would be unneeded.
(Nevermind it being belted, which is quite a weakness)

This is the new Magnum Mauser made by Mauser:

Another gun I had in mind is the Heym Martini Express. Built by the Magnum Mauser recipe, but with, in my opinion, more elegant lines:

While talking about big game rifles, it's hard to ignore the classic side by side double rifle.
An interesting caliber for this gun would be either the .375 Flanged Nitro Express or the .450/400 3" Nitro Express.
The .450/400 NE is comparable to the .404 Rimless with a slightly smaller bullet.
It is an excellent hunting cartridge for large and thick skinned game and can serve as a decent stopper, too.
The advantage over the larger Nitro Express rounds is the ability to shoot quite accurately with a scoped rifle in the caliber.

A nice double rifle for this caliber would be the Merkel 140AE Boxlock, which, compared to English rifles of the same kind, is still quite affordable.
It is fitted with Merkel Boxlocks, a straight stock with German cheekpiece and Ejectors.

If you like it a bit fancier, the Merkel 160AE is the gun for you. Still coming at a reasonable price,
it sports sidelocks, nicer wood and a deeply cut engraving.

Tell me what you think. I would like to hear your answers and opinions.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
strandjutter
Scout

Re: Large Game Rifles for Water Buffalo and Banteng

Post by strandjutter »

SPRK85
Outfitter

Post by SPRK85 »

A s/s double rifle in a big bore is one of the things I have been dreaming of both in the game as IRL ;)

And I've refrained buying any of the double rifles that are in the store up to this date because of two reasons.
1); Design: I'm sorry but an over/under just isn't going to give me that classic feeling.
2); Capability: I truly want something that I could cherish and call 'Old Painless'... something that would make me laugh at the .45-70. So yeah, a NE cartridge would do the job. Something that would be unethical for Elk-sized game :twisted:

And I might just wait until they bring out the premium... You know, for show...
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,

Good idea. would love to see them.

Anyway, with the Bolt Action Rifle, I'd prefer another Weatherby caliber, like .460. Or something like .505 Gibbs. But as you said, they have a heavy recoil. Please no military/sniper style rifle and caliber like .50 BMG.

Even more so, I'd love to see a side by side rifle. Preferably in a large N.E. caliber or maybe .577 TRX.

Greetings,
Wehrwolf.

Edit : Meh, just realized .577 is a rimless cartridge. Voting for it anyway, would be THE choice for a big bore bolt action then.
μολών λαβέ
Gewehrwolf
Tracker

Post by Gewehrwolf »

Hi,
SPRK85 wrote:1); Design: I'm sorry but an over/under just isn't going to give me that classic feeling.
I don't think it's supposed to be about a classic feeling. It's more like fast follow-up shots.
SPRK85 wrote:2); Capability: I truly want something that I could cherish and call 'Old Painless'... something that would make me laugh at the .45-70. So yeah, a NE cartridge would do the job. Something that would be unethical for Elk-sized game :twisted:
Absolutely agreed. Closest thing to this atm is probably the .454 handgun. We realy need something BIG.
SPRK85 wrote:And I might just wait until they bring out the premium... You know, for show...
Got your back on this, too. A premium .30R Rifle would probably be a topseller, since it has become many peoples' favourite.

Cheers,
Wehrwolf.
μολών λαβέ
SPRK85
Outfitter

Post by SPRK85 »

Gewehrwolf wrote:
SPRK85 wrote:1); Design: I'm sorry but an over/under just isn't going to give me that classic feeling.
I don't think it's supposed to be about a classic feeling. It's more like fast follow-up shots.
Well I could argue that an over-under yields more visual space and therfore easier aiming. And that O/U is claimed to be better for follow-up shots than S/S in actual hunting (allthough I don't really have the feeling there is any difference in the game (then again... it's a feeling)).

But I would just love to have one for aesthetic reasons... just that. Me and my beige cowboyhat... taking "Old Painless" out for a stroll. That 1920-30ies feel of old school hunting.

I just hope they have waited all these years for a good reason to release an African reserve... Perhaps we will see it in 2019? When the game has it's 10th year? Maybe this year (they have a interesting new model they could use for the cape buffalo I guess)?

Who knows... at least we finally got the long requested double rifles. It just wasn't what I hoped for... sniff
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Well there IS the .577 Nitro Express Caliber. Mark Sullivan shoots it in his Heym 89B Jumbo.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”