Autoloading Rifle

spyeyesopen
Scout

Autoloading Rifle

Post by spyeyesopen »

I'd like to see an autoloading rifle in the arsenal!
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: Autoloading Rifle

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Why?
Give some reasons, sell it. Why should EW spend time and design an autoloader? How will it benefit the game and the players?
Personally, I do not see any need for one.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

We have the .22LR & .223 semi-auto rifles, and the 20ga shotgun. (Unless what you're describing is different than semi-auto).

I don't know, but a semi-auto in a larger caliber might upset game-balance a little too much.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Theocrates

Post by Theocrates »

It doesn't have to upset game balance, especially if the proper choice of Rifle is made. First, the AR/AK platforms are out since the Tactical hunter segment has the .223 already. Many hunting rifles with history behind them have 5 or fewer rounds and wouldn't alter the game balance any more than the .223 did.
I would suggest a caliber like the .300 in say Browning's BAR 3 rounder? A nice high end version like this: Image
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

If we are ever going to see one, I'd like the Sauer 303 in either the Elegance Variant with a straight stock or the GTI with a Thumbhole stock.
As for the caliber, I'd say 7x64, which is a little less powerful than .30-06 but trades that for velocity and ballistics. .308 would also be a viable choice, but even less powerful.
Here are some pictures:

GTI Variant:

Elegance Variant:
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Why?
Give some reasons, sell it. Why should EW spend time and design an autoloader? How will it benefit the game and the players?
Personally, I do not see any need for one.
nor do i see a need for a large caliber Auto-loading rifle... it would tent to take theHunter into a "slaughter" hunting game...that's just my thought....
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Well, looking at this from such perspective, one could say that we don't realy need most of the guns already present in the game. .223 would be enough for varmints, .300 for any larger game, and maybe some shotgun for birds and rabbits. Still, we have more of them aviable to purchase in the store. Some of them even in couple of variants.

Question would be - are there semi-automatic hunting rifles IRL? How popular or un-popular they are? If they are there, and are some reasonably common, why shouldn't they be present in the game? However, IRL, they are propably more expensive then bolt action rilfes, and so would be in the game I suppose.
Kosanderi
Tracker

Post by Kosanderi »

I'd use a .308 Win semi-auto if I had the chance and actually IRL I do. Here are some thoughts I have already shared and do so again:

1. Need (Why do you need this?)
I don't. In this game I don't need a semi-auto rifle nor do I need a bolt action gun or a lever action or a pistol or a revolver or a bow or the game at all for that matter. I can live my life without them just fine.

2. Why (why do you want this?)
For fun. For diversity - we already have plenty of bolt action guns in the game. This would be bit different. It would be giving the game more than 4th or 5th (i've lost count) .300 WM bolt action rifle...

3. Psycho-card (Everyone will go absolutely bananas with a semi-auto!)
Really? Will you? If not, what makes you so much better than anyone else?

4. Reality (Noone uses them in real life!)
You don't go out much do you? I'd have to say that most hunters don't. However many do - like myself and about 10-15% of the hunters I know. More options is better less. Not everything goes as planned. Animal can move right before you squeeze the trigger or the bullet might hit a branch and turn or wild boar attacking you etc. and then you might want to have the option to shoot more than 1 round quickly. "I only need one shot" is a good way to think but IMHO bad way to plan. **** happens.

5. Game balance & competitions (And the rest of that sort of nonsense...)
What is this balance I keep hearing about? Do you meen that all the firearms should be balanced so that none would be better than the others? I could go on about this, but long story short - they aren't. Also I don't know in what kind of competitions would anyone benefit from a semi-auto gun?..

6. Multi-player (They will ruin my multi-player experience!)
Possible. But then again I bet the same individual would find another way to ruin your game even without shooting at all. Also you might be taking the game bit too serious at that point.

7. I don't want one (You don't either!)
You ain't my momma... ;)
Then you don't buy one - simple enough...
Spoiler:
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

1, and 2. Agree.

3. Not sure that I understood. :P

4. I think that IRL main stopping force to use semi-autos would be their price compared to bolt-action rifles, while usualy a hunter wants only that one, perfect shot. Many modern sniper rifles are also bolt-action ones for the same reason. This might be enough for most people out there IRL to stay mostly with bolt-action system for hunting. But just guessing. I think semi-automatic fire can be most useful against varmints, and we already have .223 AR-15 based rifle.

5. I think when people talking here about balance, they mostly afraid that the game could change in a kind of slaughter-masacre type. Beacause you can fire so quickly ;) But to be honest, I don't think this would happen - are coyoties masacred now with .223 semi-auto? And this speed could be even artificialy made slower by prolonging "recovery" animation after shot (or any other animation). Same way 12Ga pump-action shotgun is much slower than it could be IRL.

But in reality - The more people there wanting such a rifle, the bigger chance it will appear. Beacause ultimately (while I'm sure there are also some enthusiasts among them too, but...) dev's goal would be to earn even more money on new item. :P
Kosanderi
Tracker

Post by Kosanderi »

Sherab86 wrote:3. Not sure that I understood. :P
Basically what you said here:
Sherab86 wrote:I think when people talking here about balance, they mostly afraid that the game could change in a kind of slaughter-masacre type. Beacause you can fire so quickly ;) But to be honest, I don't think this would happen - are coyoties masacred now with .223 semi-auto?
However I don't agree with this:
Sherab86 wrote:And this speed could be even artificialy made slower by prolonging "recovery" animation after shot (or any other animation). Same way 12Ga pump-action shotgun is much slower than it could be IRL.
Semi-autos are faster than bolt action guns. Bolt actions in this game haven't been artificially slowed down - if anything it's the other way around. Also being able to watch through scope while manipulating the bolt is kinda unrealistic and there goes that advantage of semi-auto. Take away the speed and what actual advantage would one have from a semi-auto rifle? In other words - why bother?
Sherab86 wrote:I think that IRL main stopping force to use semi-autos would be their price compared to bolt-action rifles, while usualy a hunter wants only that one, perfect shot. Many modern sniper rifles are also bolt-action ones for the same reason. This might be enough for most people out there IRL to stay mostly with bolt-action system for hunting. But just guessing. I think semi-automatic fire can be most useful against varmints, and we already have .223 AR-15 based rifle.
For the hunters who use bolt action rifles money is usually not the main reason. For some it's weight as bolt action guns usually are lighter than semi-autos. Mostly it seems that the biggest reason is tradiotion. "This was good enough for my granpa - It'll work for me too.." - (Yeah, why don't you drive your granpa's car too?)
Of course there are some conditions where sniper would choose bolt action rifle over semi-auto but for distances we are limited in theHunter(0-400m) I'd suspect snipers would choose a semi-auto in most cases. That is if they have a choise. They still have to use the equipment they are issued and a semi-auto is not always in the list.
When someone says: "varmint rifle" I usually think about a gun chambered in fast caliber. Hunters usually don't care what vermins look like after shooting them so using a round that "blows up" the target is common. Keeping this in mind I don't see how semi-auto would be any more useful in varmint hunting than in hunting generally.
Spoiler:

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”