Weapons for Bobcat hunting

nachthexe
Hunter

Weapons for Bobcat hunting

Post by nachthexe »

First some data for the Bobcat, the American Lynx variant. We are covering the southern type, not the bigger Canadian Lynx, which will join the game soon.
The bobcat is believed to have evolved from the Eurasian lynx, which crossed into North America by way of the Bering Land Bridge during the Pleistocene, with progenitors arriving as early as 2.6 million years ago.The first wave moved into the southern portion of North America, which was soon cut off from the north by glaciers. This population evolved into modern Bobcats around 20,000 years ago. A second population arrived from Asia and settled in the north, developing into the modern Canada lynx. Hybridization between the bobcat and the Canada lynx may sometimes occur.

The adult bobcat is 47.5 to 125 cm (18.7 to 49.2 in) long from the head to the base of the tail, averaging 82.7 cm (32.6 in); the stubby tail adds 9 to 20 cm (3.5 to 7.9 in) and its "bobbed" appearance gives the species its name. An adult stands about 30 to 60 cm (12 to 24 in) at the shoulders. Adult males can range in weight from 6.4 to 18.3 kg (14 to 40 lb), with an average of 9.6 kg (21 lb); females at 4 to 15.3 kg (8.8 to 33.7 lb), with an average of 6.8 kg (15 lb). The largest bobcat accurately measured on record weighed 22.2 kg (49 lb), although unverified reports have them reaching 27 kg (60 lb). Furthermore, a June 20, 2012, report of a New Hampshire roadkill specimen listed the animal's weight at 27 kg (60 lb). The largest-bodied Bobcats are from eastern Canada and northern New England of the subspecies L. r. gigas, while the smallest are from the southeastern subspecies L. r. floridanus, particularly those in the southern Appalachians.[27]
So basically we have a predator that is about the size of a Coyote and slightly smaller. So I will assume that it would make sense to enable for the Bobcat the weapons tagged for Coyotes. I think we can all agree that a 9.3 is an overkill gun, though it is allowed for Coyote. It is a Bobcat, not a Tiger. ;)
I personally think the 9.3 should not be on the list for Bobcats, but I listed it because it is allowed for Coyotes too.

That leaves us with:

Arrows

.50 Ball

.45 Sab.

9.3x62 (Ahem...) :)

7mm

8x57 IS

.30-06 Round Nose

.30-06 Nosler Partition

7.62x54

6.5x55

.30-30

10mm

10ga Slug

12ga Slug

10ga Buck

12ga Buck

16ga Buck

And the relevant weapons. Please offer your suggestions below.
Code: Select all
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Weapons for Bobcat hunting

Post by TreeKiwi »

Yeah I would actually like it if the size was lowered for these and Coyote. I never even knew you could use the 8 let alone the 9mm on them. That's crazy. I hadn't even checked because I was sure in my mind they wouldn't be ethical. Needs some balancing that's for sure. Especially when on the other end you can use the .17 on fox and it hardly kills them... logic
butter8808
Hunter

Post by butter8808 »

The difference between coyotes and bobcats is that in the US one is considered a nuisance animal(coyote) and one is considered a fur barer(bobcat). The purpose for hunting these two species is different, therefore the weapons you would use would be different as well.
I personally would never go out in real life and hunt coyotes with my .300, but if I happened along one and that was the only gun I had I would shoot it.
As a strictly trophy animal bobcats should only be hunted with a weapon that would do the least damage to the pelt.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

I don't think you can shot them with 9.3, they are the equal in size as red fox
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

baloo.the.dog wrote:I don't think you can shot them with 9.3, they are the equal in size as red fox
This was posted before Bobcats went live. And in the Dev stream they were hunted with a 9.3 which was changed at release.
Code: Select all
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Yeah.

Let's not forget also (this was a topic of many threads I've read already) that "permitted ammo" system is not based so much (mainly) on realism, or even "ethics" but it is rather supposed to encourage a player to buy more weapons. ;) Ofcourse there are "ethics" somewhere in the background too but if this was only reasoning behind the subject, then most powerful ammo in the game should be allowed for every animal. We can add to this also "hunting justiffication" reasoning (as mentioned Coyote-Varmint, Bobcat-Fur). But in reality this would be rather hunter concern to choose proper ammo to the task. By the way, I do not judge devs very negatively because of this - after all they made the game for money, right ? However taking into consideration that weapons are one-time buys, and rather "memberships" are propably main source of money (just guessing - might be wrong), I don't feel a need for such kind of encouraging people to buy new stuff. ;) This system could be propably more reallistic without big hit into money gain. But... It is like it is. ;)

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”