What to do with the .17 HMR?

TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

What to do with the .17 HMR?

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hey team,

I love the HMR its such a fun gun to use and it kicks butt on nearly everything its intended for... nearly.

I have done a butt load of testing on foxes this week. All I can say is I wouldn't bother shooting at them over 25m away. Under 10M is pretty good, but if you don't place your shot well you will still only come out with a body shot. You may be thinking... well no, you don't say?? But the hit box is tiny on the fox for lungs.

What I would like to propose/suggest is that this could be the first non black powder gun in the game to get two rounds for it. The round it has now is great like it is for everything under Fox size, so the additional round would be a High velocity/impact round designed just for foxes... maybe Coyotes as well?? It would open the rifle up so much more for the likes of Settlers, loggers etc. But Coyote isn't a necessity. Just carry two boxes of ammo around with you and hey presto, its usable as it was designed again :)

Anyway thoughts suggestions and healthy debate would be great :) Because I'm sure if you guys have used it enough... you will know what I mean!

Cheers

TK
D3AKUs
Hunter

Re: What to do with the .17 HMR?

Post by D3AKUs »

Id rather see a new air rifle with different calibers and switching similiar to shotgun ammo, for a broad variety of permitted animals. But this one could be a good start. But i guess it would be easier to just buff the rifle a little like they did with the 10mm after release.

Anyway not a bad idea :)
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Yeah I'm not talking about what rifles we would rather see. I'm wanting to try work out how to fix the HMR so it achieves what it was designed for :) I think the rifle probably can't be buffed anymore as it would vaporize birds and rabbits haha!
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

IRL you can take foxes out to 150m with the .17HMR just fine.
A .22 Hornet could be pretty interesting.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

MooseHunter330 wrote:IRL you can take foxes out to 150m with the .17HMR just fine.
A .22 Hornet could be pretty interesting.
Exactly (I have shot one pig with a hornet irl, want to see the picture?? I'm young hahaha) So do you think having an extra round for it would be a good idea??
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Nah, just suggesting the Hornet because you could also take Roe Deer and Coyote with it.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

MooseHunter330 wrote:Nah, just suggesting the Hornet because you could also take Roe Deer and Coyote with it.
I'm confused are you saying you don't want to fix the HMR? Or it would be cool to have the hmr fixed and a hornet in the game?
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

I am saying that I would first like the .17HMR fixed. It can't go on being such a pea shooter.
It even does some quite respectable damage at long range with the V-Max Bullet.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Ah right!! Yeah I totally agree and hopefully EW are reading this as an easy (not that I know about programming) fix :)
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

I'd suggest the problem probably has more to do with the damage model of the fox than it does with the ballistics of the.17 HMR....
Personal Bests...

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”