give the 16 gauge a bit somthing.

L3M182
Outfitter

give the 16 gauge a bit somthing.

Post by L3M182 »

as it stands the 12 guage SXS beats the 16 gauge SXS hands down in terms of performance. faster to reload, faster to shoulder, more power/pellets, cheaper, option for slug ammo, broader permitted species and its just as light. so other than for "something a little different" the comp pick and first purchase choice its a no brainier.

it looks and sounds fantastic so after so long without a new shotgun its a shame for it to be so redundant. its modeled with 60" barrels so my suggestion is give it a viable trade off. tighter spread or longer range or both, trade off being you have to be more accurate with the 16 but at longer ranges you might get more pellets on and pull down birds the 12g otherwise wouldn't.

i really want this shotgun but i cant bring myself to buy it when i haven't had the SXS 12 that long and its so obviously superior to the 16 atm

whats everyone's thoughts on this?
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Re: give the 16 gauge a bit somthing.

Post by MooseHunter330 »

The rate of fire is worse, too. Slugs should definetely be added.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

60" barrels?
Personal Bests...
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

Fletchette wrote:60" barrels?
yeah sorry was a joke from the topic the day it came out, sarcasm and exaggeration doesn't translate well in text :)

what are they 36"?
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

L3M182 wrote:
yeah sorry was a joke from the topic the day it came out, sarcasm and exaggeration doesn't translate well in text :)

what are they 36"?
Average for a shotgun is 26"-28", occasionally 30". I guess 36" is possible, but that's really long.
Personal Bests...
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

I assume the 12 GA sxs is a 20" bbl model. The 12GA Pump should a 28" bbl just like the Rem 870 Wingmaster IRL. Comparing those two with the 16 GA sxs, I'd say about a 32-36" bbl is accurate.

16GA slugs? I don't think that would be appropriate for this gun. I think the comparative advantage of the 16ga is long-range effectiveness. Attributing to the longer barrels, Penetration should be higher and damage falloff over distance should be less than the shorter barreled scatterguns. Longer barrels = Higher muzzle velocity IRL.

According to my personal tests on the Field Lodge rifle range, all the shotguns are running something between a IC/MOD choke. Buckshot is 100% within the target @40m. Birdshot is 100% within the target @20m. I say the 16GA should at the least have a tighter Birdshot spread to allow 100% @40m.

Edit: Referenced choke patterns and pellets on target percentages AGAIN to double check my statement. The 16 GA should have a 40" spread @40' (~36m) for a full choke, however, that would lead to an improper use of buckshot in those barrels. I guess just the better penetration and damage falloff is more appropriate suggestion
Last edited by Dubitabilus on April 17th, 2017, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Fletchette wrote:
L3M182 wrote:

what are they 36"?
Average for a shotgun is 26"-28", occasionally 30". I guess 36" is possible, but that's really long.
It's a 32" barrel, like a Remington 1889.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

cheers for the clarification hawkeye. they are exceptionally long barrels by the look of it.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

L3M182 wrote:cheers for the clarification hawkeye. they are exceptionally long barrels by the look of it.
Nothing short of a good goose gun barrel... but is it really needed anymore? :D
Nowadays a 28" barrel is preferred and chambered for 3 1/2" mags for more steel shot and power..
the days of lead shot are gone and what these longer barrels used before.
And a note on it is that the 3 1/2" chambers can shoot the 2 3/4" & 3" shells also, so you are ready for any situation.
But did EW think of that?
My guess is NO.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

gas56 wrote:
L3M182 wrote:cheers for the clarification hawkeye. they are exceptionally long barrels by the look of it.
Nothing short of a good goose gun barrel... but is it really needed anymore? :D
Nowadays a 28" barrel is preferred and chambered for 3 1/2" mags for more steel shot and power..
the days of lead shot are gone and what these longer barrels used before.
And a note on it is that the 3 1/2" chambers can shoot the 2 3/4" & 3" shells also, so you are ready for any situation.
But did EW think of that?
My guess is NO.
No, because they know that 16 gauge never even had 3 inch chambers. ;)
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”