Limiting our semi-auto big game rifle

Milic
Outfitter

Limiting our semi-auto big game rifle

Post by Milic »

Browning BAR MK3

Hello! I was thinking the last few days about semi-auto in, let's say, .30-06 Spr. I think it would be a great addition to the game. When I say seni-auto, I mean on Browning BAR because it s the most famous semi-auto hunting rifle in the world. I think the limiting factor for this type of rifle and this caliber is the game balance, so here are my suggestions and you are more than welcome to give yours:

Advantages

:idea: It should have the feeling of the 12 GA Pump Action Shotgun. I mean on pointing. It should feel fast, natural and light.

:idea: It should have 3 round detachable magazine.

:idea: It should have great iron sights, like Browning BAR.

:idea: It should be in the .30-06 or 9,3x62, or a cartridge that is in this league.

Disadvantages

:idea: It should be able to mount only Aimpoint H34L Sight, you have to give some to get some. This would make this rifle usable only until 100 meters (I mean you would have to be precise if you are shooting past 100 meters even if you are firing first time).

:idea: I have mentioned that this rifle should feel like a shotgun, so when you fire the first shot, on this rifle recoil should be more noticeable, so you couldn't fire very precise second or third shot. I think that EW should work on the recoil rather than the time between the shots as a handicap. They should increase the recoil on all magnum rifles.

EDIT :idea: Make it louder than other rifles.

What do you think?
Last edited by Milic on November 26th, 2016, 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dreadhuntr

Re: Limitating our semi-auto big game rifle

Post by Dreadhuntr »

all the semi autos that ive fire in real life has always been real nice. i out of the top 4 guns that i hunt with in real life my 30-06 remington 742 woodmaster would be one of those 4. it has a bit of a kick to it it dont kick like a mule as in pain but it does have recoil. i dont agree with the aim point though should be able to treat it like any other rifle.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

I still like the BAR Safari:
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
antonio32
Scout

Post by antonio32 »

Limitations, limitations...Game balance...I am sure this rifle will have some limitations, if it ever comes out that is. That is just the way EW works. Limitations in sight or scope options are are great because they would make this rifle basicly only for close hunting or driven hunts. That is great, because this is what this rifle is made for. Tougher second shot is also good idea, due to recoil or whatever, I have suggested this a lot of time ago. Any way, I could live with all this limitations just to get Browning BAR.
EW, please fix the reloading animation for the Colt SAA .45 LC revolvers!!!
2mag4u
Spotter

Post by 2mag4u »

antonio32 wrote:Limitations, limitations...Game balance...I am sure this rifle will have some limitations, if it ever comes out that is. That is just the way EW works. Limitations in sight or scope options are are great because they would make this rifle basicly only for close hunting or driven hunts. That is great, because this is what this rifle is made for. Tougher second shot is also good idea, due to recoil or whatever, I have suggested this a lot of time ago. Any way, I could live with all this limitations just to get Browning BAR.
Exactly my thoughts.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

It's a game, so they could do what they want, but it's generally accepted that IRL a semi-auto has less perceived recoil than a bolt action.

Two reason are usually proposed for why, even when using the exact same ammunition, semi-autos feel like they kick less:

1. Semi-autos are usually a bit heavier, so that addition weight (mass), reduces recoil.

2. Because the reloading mechanism and spring absorbs some of the gas pressure to work the reloading mechanism, the recoil is spread out of a slightly longer period of time. So while the total recoil (energy) is the same, by spreading it out over a longer period of time, it feels like less of a kick.
Personal Bests...
Milic
Outfitter

Post by Milic »

Fletchette wrote:It's a game, so they could do what they want, but it's generally accepted that IRL a semi-auto has less perceived recoil than a bolt action.

Two reason are usually proposed for why, even when using the exact same ammunition, semi-autos feel like they kick less:

1. Semi-autos are usually a bit heavier, so that addition weight (mass), reduces recoil.

2. Because the reloading mechanism and spring absorbs some of the gas pressure to work the reloading mechanism, the recoil is spread out of a slightly longer period of time. So while the total recoil (energy) is the same, by spreading it out over a longer period of time, it feels like less of a kick.
Absolutely my friend! My suggestion about heavier recoil is based on the logic that we will not get the rifle that has for example: 5 round magazine, is in the .30-06 Spr, has all the scopes and has a lighter felt recoil. I think we need to give some to get some.

So, I was thinking, it would be nice EW could give us extremely handy semi-auto rifle, with great maneuverability and great pointing abilities (like Browning BAR is in real life), with 3 round magazine, great iron sights, in the .30-06 Spr or the 9,3x62mm, but (and here are the limitations) only with Aimpoint H34L and a heavier recoil to make it harder for second or third shot.

My father had Browning BAR Mark II in .300 WM and I know that it has lighter kick that regular bolt action. He has sold it because his shots are mostly until 100 meters.

What do you think about limitations, do you have some ideas? Maybe they could forget recoil and limit it only with sights? That would could work for me.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Milic wrote: What do you think about limitations, do you have some ideas? Maybe they could forget recoil and limit it only with sights? That would could work for me.
I assumed you knew that, but only posted so people that don't shoot much wouldn't think that semi-auto had more recoil IRL.

I'm fine with your suggestions, but would prefer and suggest to NOT limit the scopes. I fear that many people would not buy or use a new rifle that was too limited with scopes. Personally I think that limiting it to just a 3 shot mag is sufficient, especially since the bolt and lever-action rifles in the game reload so fast and smoothly that the "advantage" of semi-auto is pretty small.

On a side note, here is an interesting fact......While high powered rifles have considerable recoil when target or bench shooting, they have absolutely NO recoil when actually hunting (live animals). :P
Personal Bests...
Milic
Outfitter

Post by Milic »

Fletchette wrote:
Milic wrote: What do you think about limitations, do you have some ideas? Maybe they could forget recoil and limit it only with sights? That would could work for me.
I assumed you knew that, but only posted so people that don't shoot much wouldn't think that semi-auto had more recoil IRL.
You are right! Thanks for doing that!
Fletchette wrote: I'm fine with your suggestions, but would prefer and suggest to NOT limit the scopes. I fear that many people would not buy or use a new rifle that was too limited with scopes. Personally I think that limiting it to just a 3 shot mag is sufficient, especially since the bolt and lever-action rifles in the game reload so fast and smoothly that the "advantage" of semi-auto is pretty small.
OK! If you think what you could do with a bow or a crossbow in the game, you can kill whole entire herd of deers in just minutes without a noise and I assume EW won't make semi-auto rifle because of the game balance? Well, that is a poppycock to me. I mean, how many elks can you kill with semi auto if you are on the tree stand, if the magazine has three rounds, than I suppose three, but you will have to be a hell of a shooter, and you will make a lot of noise.
Fletchette wrote:On a side note, here is an interesting fact......While high powered rifles have considerable recoil when target or bench shooting, they have absolutely NO recoil when actually hunting (live animals). :P
:lol: True!
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

im all for it, except i dont want some brand new fancy BAR i want the origional mark 2 but id settle for the mark 3 sporter if it was looking a little worn :D

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”