Type 99 rifle Arisaka

Milic
Outfitter

Type 99 rifle Arisaka

Post by Milic »

The Type 99 rifle Arisaka or Type 99 short rifle (九九式短小銃 Kyū-kyū-shiki tan-shōjū?) was a bolt-action rifle of the Arisaka design used by the Imperial Japanese Army during World War II.

Design

To gain the superior hitting power of the larger 7.7mm cartridge, several caliber 6.5mm Type 38 rifles were modified for the new round. Although the tests proved satisfactory, the army decided that the added recoil and larger chambering for the 7.7mm cartridge, would require an entirely new rifle for the cartridge. It utilized a ****-on-closing action, which improved the rate of fire from the standard Mauser ****-on-open design. Also unique is the rifle's safety mechanism, operated by pressing in the large knurled disk at the rear of the bolt with the palm of the hand and rotating it in a 1/8 clockwise turn, which is often misunderstood by Western shooters who are used to the Mauser's thumb lever safety. It featured a quick-release bolt and antiaircraft sights, as well as a sliding bolt cover and monopod. The bolt cover, in particular, was highly problematic. Many soldiers simply discarded them due to excessive rattling. As a bolt-action rifle, the Type 99 was a very solid weapon, but as with all manually operated rifles used during World War II, they were in most close combat situations outclassed by semi-automatic rifles and submachine guns.

The Type 99 is one of the strongest military bolt rifles ever made, but many late-war ("last ditch") rifles used lower quality parts, and a complete lack of finish, as well as shortcuts taken to ease production. The "last ditch" rifles are usually distinguished by their crudeness; poorly finished stock, wood buttplate, very obvious tooling marks in the metal, rudimentary sights and an unfinished bolt knob and handle. Such late war rifles may be unsafe to fire. Unlike its predecessors, however, a disadvantage of the Type 99 was its increased recoil due to the lighter weight combined with a heavier cartridge.

Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_99_rifle

If you have time to watch this video you will see this is a very unique rifle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1cJFQ9X_hw
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Re: Type 99 rifle Arisaka

Post by MooseHunter330 »

I gotta say, I don´t like the arisaka. They get rusty very fast and have a tendency to jam. Paired with the relatively weak cartridge, that wouldn´t make an effective weapon.
And what´s the need for an AA sight here ;)
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Milic
Outfitter

Post by Milic »

MooseHunter330 wrote:I gotta say, I don´t like the arisaka. They get rusty very fast and have a tendency to jam. Paired with the relatively weak cartridge, that wouldn´t make an effective weapon.
And what´s the need for an AA sight here ;)
Well, that is true only for late war rifles. Late war rifles are often called "Last Ditch" or "Substitute Standard" due to their crudeness of finish. They are generally as crude as the 1945 dated Mauser K98k of Germany, or worse. Many late-war ("last ditch") rifles used lower quality parts, and a complete lack of finish, as well as shortcuts taken to ease production. The "last ditch" rifles are usually distinguished by their crudeness; poorly finished stock, wood buttplate, very obvious tooling marks in the metal, rudimentary sights and an unfinished bolt knob and handle. Such late war rifles may be unsafe to fire.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_99_rifle

Type 99 rifle Arisaka has a bolt action that is simplefied Mauser 98 system and it is one of the strongest military bolt rifles ever made, and there is no doubt that they were the strongest bolt actions of the WWII. Many experts claim that these were the best bolt action of the WWII because of the bolt action system, lightweight, gadgets...
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

I would much rather have this nice gun in 11,15x60.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_Model_1871
:)
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Milic
Outfitter

Post by Milic »

MooseHunter330 wrote:I would much rather have this nice gun in 11,15x60.
Very nice! I like this idea. Open new topic for Mauser Model 1871.
Mashuu
Hunter

Post by Mashuu »

MooseHunter330 wrote:I would much rather have this nice gun in 11,15x60.
Since we have 3 other WWII era rifles, I would like to see the Mosin next, or possibly the Swiss K31. A straight pull rifle would be cool.

BUUUUUUT. They should work on their engine issues. But from their Ask thread, they were super dodgey about it. So I think they will not do anything to improve the game mechanics or engine
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

The Mosin should be made before too much talk of different war guns.
Hell I just don't want a bunch of guns sitting around, I want to be able to shoot them not just buy them.
And I started getting into the 1903 springfield already, but I am jumping back and fourth to the lever action 30-06.
They are making too many guns right now and should slow down and work on the bugs.
I think that's where their priorities should be at right now.
Milic
Outfitter

Post by Milic »

My friends, Mashuu and gas56, I agree with you, EW should work on their engine issues and bugs, but I do not think that because of that they will stop with weapon and accessories introduction because I think this is one of their main ways to raise the income. I am sure that they have their people who are working on problems while the others are making items for us.
Jack.Grave
Outfitter

Post by Jack.Grave »

And one interesting (and maybe less known) fact many of those Arisaka Type 99 Rifles end after end of WWII in nordic countries as cheap hunting rifles and if I am not mistaken Norma still producing ammuntion in 7.7x58 Japanese. And about power 7.7 Jap round is roughly same power as contemporary most available hunting cartridge .308 Winchester. It shall be prety decent adition to colection of any vintage & curio weapon lover. Jack
PredatorXL

Post by PredatorXL »

I was gonna bring in a new topic about this rifle to see what others might have to say. Here's my reply, I would love to see an Arisaka type 99 or 97 and I would actually buy one for I have a fascination of pretty much anything that is Japanese. They may not be as accurate as for example, an M91/30 or kar98k, but I'd still use one to hunt with for the challenge. Not to mention I would also do my homework to see what I can do possibly to further enhance the rifle's performance. But one rifle I would definitely like to see that will make me say "shut up and take my money" would be the rifle that pre-dates the Arisaka's and that is the Murata rifle's. Any between the type 13 (1880) type 16 (1883) and type 18 (1885)(type 18 I'd most prefer) I would buy in a heartbeat. May not be great on accuracy, but I would shoot/hunt with one to show my interest in such history and heritage.
Every storm has an end. And in that end, there is light and and a calming peace. Endure the storm and you'll find peace and possibly a rainbow over the horizon. a Double rainbow if you're that lucky.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”