AR-15 Hunting rifle

PinkJackal
Spotter

AR-15 Hunting rifle

Post by PinkJackal »

Hello guys, although I'm playing this game since 2009 I haven't been on this forum to often.

I want to make a suggestion about a new rifle, what do you guys thing about the AR-15 as a weapon for hunting, it's highly use in USA for coyotes and deer.
If you guys like the idea pls vote +1.
Lawger
Hunter

Re: AR-15 Hunting rifle

Post by Lawger »

This suggestion comes up from time to time. The devs have stated before that AR-type weapons are out of the question. Personally I think it would be too CoD-ish to have them. I know they're used in some places, but I think most countries have more or less a ban on modern military designs for hunting (basically all assault rifles). It's doubtful if we get any semi auto rifles at all, but if we do I think they should go with a more traditional design, like a Sauer 303-type weapon.
trig2005
Spotter

Post by trig2005 »

This has been suggested and debated pretty often, and usually brings a pretty negative opinion.
Here's the first sizable thread I found discussing the AR-15 being added: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=167&t=50893

But I'll go ahead and give my thoughts on it. I own both an AR-15 (well, technically it's a 5.56NATO) and a bolt action in .223 (Rem. Model 7). After giving it some thought I would have to say no on adding a .223 AR-15 to the game. One reason being even with the smaller 20shot mags there's very very rarely ever a chance to fire more than 2 or 3, another reason being AR-15's with scopes, bipods, attachment rails, a full mag, etc. are pretty heavy and not as easy to carry around walking than a light bolt action. Another reason being arguably it's just not sporting to use something with 20+ rounds available as fast as you can pull the trigger.
In real life, if I had to choose between the AR15 and my bolt action .223 to take on a typical deer hunt, I would pick the bolt action - just so much lighter, easy to carry, and easy to aim without a rest. I've used the AR-15 for filling crop-damage deer permits with a friend that has a sizable farm (usually gets 20+ deer permits every year) but this isn't really hunting and is more pest animal elimination (in this case whitetails).

Anyway, that's my thoughts, I'm sure there are plenty of arguments for adding an AR-15 platform to the game. If they did I'd rather it be in 6.8mm SPC or an AR10 in .308.
PinkJackal
Spotter

Post by PinkJackal »

That's bad to hear that the dev's don't consider it!
I know it's not legal to hunt in Europe or other continent's and unfortunately I will probably never shoot one in real life.

Thx for answers guys!
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

im all for it in a small caliber like.223 for yotes and fox. but not for big game it would over shadow all other firearms.
DriftPrize
Hunter

Post by DriftPrize »

oh yes automatic guns would be fine to cause a memorable death for the animals.
trig2005
Spotter

Post by trig2005 »

This will probably seem a bit nit-picky but AR-15 is not automatic (it's Semi, and typically has a 30 round or 20 round mag), and technically I don't think it qualifies as an assault rifle either. The military version, M4 is however automatic. In the US, no civilian can legally own an automatic that was made after 1986. No idea on other countries laws on automatics.
DriftPrize
Hunter

Post by DriftPrize »

Oh i'm joking surely there's a significant difference in holding the trigger and spamming manually. :mrgreen:
Lawger
Hunter

Post by Lawger »

trig2005 wrote:This will probably seem a bit nit-picky but AR-15 is not automatic (it's Semi, and typically has a 30 round or 20 round mag), and technically I don't think it qualifies as an assault rifle either. The military version, M4 is however automatic. In the US, no civilian can legally own an automatic that was made after 1986. No idea on other countries laws on automatics.
Well, the design is derived directly from the M16/M4, so it can safely be called an assault rifle-like design. Around here at least it's usually up to the Police who supplies the permit for the weapon (you have to file for a license for every individual weapon) to determine whether it fulfils the rules. Typically, any semi-automatic rifle with a pistol grip, retractable stock, etc. would get rejected right away. Plus, I think the legal capacity limit for semi-auto weapons is 3 or 5 rounds in the magazine. I'm not completely sure because I've never owned one myself. My trusty battle rifle is owned by the state ;)

I think this is pretty much how it works in most jurisdictions. USA is obviously one of the most liberal countries in the world when it comes to firearms. The bottom line for me is that I really don't think this type of weapon belongs here. If I want to use this type of weapon, I'll play some ARMA 3. I'm aware of the fact that many american players might want to have these weapons in game because they can use them IRL, so obviously there's no right answer. I certainly wouldn't stop playing if they did release an AR-15, I might even buy it at some point. It's just my opinion that there shouldn't be one, and so far the devs have been on the same line. We'll see.

The most realistic option would be to set different rules for all the different reserves to mimic different real life jurisdictions (so that for example an AR-15 would be alright in all US-based reserves but not anywhere else), but this would probably be way to messy and cause too much confusion.
j.galloway
Hunter

Post by j.galloway »

trig2005 wrote:This will probably seem a bit nit-picky but AR-15 is not automatic (it's Semi, and typically has a 30 round or 20 round mag), and technically I don't think it qualifies as an assault rifle either. The military version, M4 is however automatic. In the US, no civilian can legally own an automatic that was made after 1986. No idea on other countries laws on automatics.
DriftPrize wrote:Oh i'm joking surely there's a significant difference in holding the trigger and spamming manually. :mrgreen:
COD VS Hunter ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2PFY8MNVuY

Another 223 would just be more waste of money for me so... sorry, but I wouldn't get it unless I somehow manage to make a lot of EM real quick.
I can see how it would bring in a lot of money in quick for the devs, seeing the demand though.

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”