Airguns!

snakeyes32
Outfitter

Re: Airguns!

Post by snakeyes32 »

j.galloway wrote:
snakeyes32 wrote:Watch this video this ain't no rabbit or crow and he take that animal at 52 yards or 47m and don't even spook the other bull that was there watching them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0XVa5oyMU

dude... that's a 357... big difference between that and a walmart .177 pellet gun... by at least 180 ft-lbs.
Also... it has something between 150-250 ft-lbs... that's a .17hmr...

I wouldn't shoot a 17hmr at anything bigger than a a rabbit/raccoon anyway, because I like a clean one shot kill. though yes I have heard where a 22lr has taken deer before... doesn't mean you should

Airguns are for small game... ie rabbits, crows, rats, starlings ext.

snakeyes32 wrote: Point blank an airgun roughly produces 88 dB
10 yards 76 dB
25 yards 68 dB
50 yards 64 dB

how did this get about sound? an .177/.22 airgun is just as loud (if not slightly more so) then bows. but in real life I'm sure not going to take my bow and shoot arrows at a rat now am I? If your willing to do that... well have fun

Did you read the OP opening statement he's not talking about your walmart bought pellet gun he talking about big bore air rifles like in that video. I really don't even know what point your trying to make it really has nothing to do with this topic. And it got on the sound point becouse of his opening statement might want to go back and read that.
j.galloway
Hunter

Post by j.galloway »

Sorry for the misunderstanding but when you posted:
snakeyes32 wrote:No don't like the idea its worse then the people that want suppressors. You add something like this the bows become useless.
right after
DarkWolf1990 wrote:I too would like to see airguns.

mainly small bore with rabbits & more small game (squirrels, pigeon etc.)

big bore would be fun too :)

and i'll share a pic of my newest air rifle ;)

Sumatra 500 .22
one can assume you where posting about the previous post as there was no quote text you where referring to. Therefor I was assuming you where saying that hunting a crow with an airgun 'its worse then the people that want suppressors'

snakeyes32 wrote:
j.galloway wrote: First an airgun (.117-.22) produces something around 10-20ftlbs at muzzle, basically suitable for nothing bigger than a rabbit, or crow. You can go ahead and use a bow on crows rats and starlings if you want, but most 99% of small game hunters would use pellets or shotguns. (and where shotguns would be a problem because it would disturb the farm animals for instance, a pellet gun really only option.
Watch this video this ain't no rabbit or crow and he take that animal at 52 yards or 47m and don't even spook the other bull that was there watching them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0XVa5oyMU
I took from this that you where assuming a .357 airgun was going to be used as the equivalent of a deer rifle...
In no place did I say that an airgun was a deer rifle and that is actually the general trend of the thread with everyone's postings... everyone who mentioned it said small game ie birds/pigeons/rats/mice ext..

snakeyes32 wrote: Did you read the OP opening statement he's not talking about your walmart bought pellet gun he talking about big bore air rifles like in that video. I really don't even know what point your trying to make it really has nothing to do with this topic. And it got on the sound point becouse of his opening statement might want to go back and read that.
Yes hes talking about the gun in the video, not the hunting of large game with an airgun.

Not that anyone asked.... but yes I think that's unethical for airguns for large game.

anyway... My point?
Airguns are for small game... ie rabbits, crows, rats, starlings ext.
at extreme best 357 might be used on fox/coyote. Even then I would have some doubt... but then I like to always pack more gun then necessary, there's no point in seeing 'how low you can go'

Perhaps I should modify my statement:

I wouldn't shoot a 17hmr (or 357 airgun) at anything bigger than a rabbit/raccoon anyway, because I like a clean one shot kill. If given a 17hmr, .177, .22, .25, .357 airgun for a coyote/fox.... I would switch it out for the 223

if given a .177/.22 for raccoon, I would switch it out for the 223.
Hamsaphina
Tracker

Post by Hamsaphina »

Airguns cannot be compared to either firearms nor bows. Airguns are ethical if you are smart about it. The way airguns are designed makes them only work for head, neck, and heartshots. If you read more on airgun hunting, you will understand this more. I personally hate that video, that was an awful shot on his part. Airgun just don't have the same wounding power as firearms, airguns are ethical for large game ONLY if you have great shot placement. You personally may feel a .223 would be better that a .122/.22, and you are right. Large game airgun hunting is only for the skilled and practiced hunter. Of course a firearm is a better choice to take down game. Although one thing I would like to point out is even though bows don't drop animals instantly, most people find the suitable for even the largest of game (I think I just screwed myself over there).

EDIT: One thing I want to point out is that even though this post was meant for big bores, I say we expand our horizon to all hunting airguns especially since the fox was added.
Eggenberg
Trophy Hunter

Post by Eggenberg »

The difference between big-bore airguns (like Quackies and other larger calibre/high-powered PCP's) and the more readily available small calibre like .177, .20 (my favourite), .22 & .25 is like comparing apples & oranges. Big-bore airguns can - and do - take down large quarry, the evidence is irrefutable. The flip-side is their shot count is low and the recharging equipment would be a nightmare to take into the field. Think about lugging dive tanks full of compressed air on to a reserve as well as all the other bits & pieces we regularly hump around with us in TH and you'll understand where I'm coming from :D

As we're not exactly awash with smaller quarry I don't see a place for small calibre airguns in TH because there's not really that many animals in the game that I'd go up against with an air rifle - pheasant, turkey and fox being the exceptions but with my own, personal rules re power output and calibre being appropriate for the size of animal they're being used on.

The unfortunate thing is that because IRL smaller calibre airguns are more readily available they can easily fall into the wrong hands and because of this they receive a heap of negative publicity (because people misuse them or those too young to know any better get their hands on them and treat them like toys which they most certainly are not. Either/or they can and do cause serious injuries or in some cases death). I absolutely do not believe that they should be introduced into the game for those reasons as there's enough You Tube videos going around showing a negative side to TH (which then reflects on hunting/shooting in general) without air rifles being introduced to the game tempting asshats into making videos where they shoot the larger animals numerous times with inappropriate weapons. We've all seen facepalm TH videos of this type.

I love airguns and I love hunting with them IRL but not in TH :)
Hamsaphina
Tracker

Post by Hamsaphina »

Eggenberg wrote:The difference between big-bore airguns (like Quackies and other larger calibre/high-powered PCP's) and the more readily available small calibre like .177, .20 (my favourite), .22 & .25 is like comparing apples & oranges. Big-bore airguns can - and do - take down large quarry, the evidence is irrefutable. The flip-side is their shot count is low and the recharging equipment would be a nightmare to take into the field. Think about lugging dive tanks full of compressed air on to a reserve as well as all the other bits & pieces we regularly hump around with us in TH and you'll understand where I'm coming from :D

As we're not exactly awash with smaller quarry I don't see a place for small calibre airguns in TH because there's not really that many animals in the game that I'd go up against with an air rifle - pheasant, turkey and fox being the exceptions but with my own, personal rules re power output and calibre being appropriate for the size of animal they're being used on.

The unfortunate thing is that because IRL smaller calibre airguns are more readily available they can easily fall into the wrong hands and because of this they receive a heap of negative publicity (because people misuse them or those too young to know any better get their hands on them and treat them like toys which they most certainly are not. Either/or they can and do cause serious injuries or in some cases death). I absolutely do not believe that they should be introduced into the game for those reasons as there's enough You Tube videos going around showing a negative side to TH (which then reflects on hunting/shooting in general) without air rifles being introduced to the game tempting asshats into making videos where they shoot the larger animals numerous times with inappropriate weapons. We've all seen facepalm TH videos of this type.

I love airguns and I love hunting with them IRL but not in TH :)

You make a very good point there! I guess I overlooked some things. Thanks you for posting this, probably the best argument against airguns in TH! Never thought about some of those things.
DILLIGAF76
Spotter

Post by DILLIGAF76 »

Would love to see Air guns in the game,springer or pcp would be fine and some animals to shoot with it like rabbits :)
Gazaroo
Hunter

Post by Gazaroo »

oh god i hope this don't get added. sorry but i vote no. might as well have Paint guns too. noooo thanks
Eggenberg
Trophy Hunter

Post by Eggenberg »

DILLIGAF76 wrote:Would love to see Air guns in the game,springer or pcp would be fine and some animals to shoot with it like rabbits :)
Is that an HW97k TH synthetic I spy in your avatar or are you just pleased to see me?
DILLIGAF76
Spotter

Post by DILLIGAF76 »

It is a HW97KT :) i do alot of rabbit shooting here in the UK would be nice to do the same in game :D
Eggenberg
Trophy Hunter

Post by Eggenberg »

DILLIGAF76 wrote:It is a HW97KT :) i do alot of rabbit shooting here in the UK would be nice to do the same in game :D
.177 laser beam?

Used to have an HW97k (beech stock) - lovely gun. Mug that I am I swapped it along with a .177 ProSport I used to own (I've had 3 of those - gorgeous looking & shooting rifle but that underlever.... flimsy feeling just doesn't describe it enough :().

Return to “Weapons & Weapon Accessory Suggestions”