Share your best reserve set-up

Official theHunter related media, art & game design competitions.
sansaoo

Re: Share your best reserve set-up

Post by sansaoo »

BearHunter
Tracker

Post by BearHunter »

This is such an awesome idea Alean as usual you always come up with great ideas to do and this is just another example of one, Reason I say this is it helps so much to see others great setups and how to go about setting up on a particular reserve to hunt whatever you are looking to hunt many awesome setups that are submitted and very informative, Videos are good that are done by the people that do them but most don't show you what these do my opinion much more informative thank you to the members for putting up there setups in different reserves very helpful for myself and my son James.
K4n4y
Hunter

Post by K4n4y »

In game map screenshot :
Click on the picture to see it in full size
The icons are all overlapping each other in this small spot so i made this instead to explain a bit my setup :

- The tent is placed on the shore at coordinates ( x-13734; y5011 ), can be placed a bit closer or further depending your likings, you spawn there and approach first to the treestand cautiously by crouch walking and passing through the forest, the trees help get a better visual camouflage against what could possibly be around. Usually you will start to hear calls immediately when you spawn, most of the times turkeys but elks and blacktails are not uncommon too, do not call back to those calls until you get on the tree-stand, just locate them to know where they are.

- Once on the treestand you will have a nice and view on what is going on in the area, it will not be rare to see immediately groups of animals by just looking around, either in the middle of the field or at the edges of the forests, or use your binoculars and you will probably spot something a bit deeper in the vegetation, could be elks, blacktails or coyotes and of course some turkeys.

- If you judge that they are too close and it's a bit too risky to attempt getting on the tripod you can call them directly from the tree stand and clear a bit the area before moving to the tripod; or you can move on silently to the tripod, doing it prone if needed.

- The tripod have 3 turkeys decoys placed around it at 20 meters distance in a semi circle, this is done to prevent the turkeys to come to close to the tripod when you call them, they used to act as an invisible shield, ( used, as this seems to have changed recently and not be effective as how it was not so long ago, see here for more details http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=64358 , this setup might need now 3x3 decoys to get the same efficiency as before or maybe 3x2 will suffice )

- The decoys are placed this way to give you enough time to select the biggest one or have more time to manage the incomes as they can arrive from multiples directions at the same time and with the GFX details at maximum it's not rare to not notice them in the grass until they are really close. It often happens to see them coming from 3 directions at the same time responding to your calls, combine this with other animals species called, either after you spot them or just doing " blind calls " to attract them and you will quickly understand why the decoy are a precious help for slowing down a bit the turkeys and giving you time to delay them deaths, this allowing you to wait for a nice elk or blacktail trophy coming at your call without any risk of placing a bad shot at a turkey this spooking the nice big male coming.

- The treestand is at 50 meters from the 2 first decoys, this allows the use of a precision bow like the Parker Python at those ranges, this setup can of course be moved a bit back to use the crossbow and get the first decoys at 40 meters for example.

I had many of my most epic hunts on this spot with this setup, a lot of turkeys of course but also a lot of other animals passing by or just blind called, using the bows to not spook anything and it is not uncommon to drop full groups of elk or blacktail females while continuously dropping turkeys coming from all directions, plus some nice trophy males from the other species passing around. Note that the turkeys even if spooked don't go too far, you just have to wait for them to calm down and call again, after a few they will come back and if lucky it will be a constant flow of turkeys and other animals coming from various directions, you can expect things like this and after only a not so long hunt session :
One of the most recent and prosperous hunts : 1H21 session , 31 harvests, ( 22 turkeys, 5 elks, 2 blacktails, 1 coyote, 1 whitetail ) http://www.thehunter.com/#profile/k4n4y ... n/47416229
Spoiler:
Some others :
1h54 session, 33 harvests, ( 20 turkeys, 6 elks, 6 blacktails, 1 whitetail ) http://www.thehunter.com/#profile/k4n4y ... n/41803137
2h12 session, 31 harvests, ( 16 turkeys, 10 elks, 3 whitetails, 2 blacktails ) http://www.thehunter.com/#profile/k4n4y ... n/47385756
57mn session, 25 harvests, (18 turkeys, 6 blacktails, 1 elk ) http://www.thehunter.com/#profile/k4n4y ... n/45859730

Of course not 100% of the hunts will get those results, you need a little luck with the spawns too ;)
PS: The forests we can see around are often used by the animals to get some rest, it is not uncommon to see some elks sleeping in the areas in front of the tripod or on the left side forest , just let them get a nap and call them when they wake up ;)

PS Bis : Once on my tripod i don't get down before the end of the hunt to harvest everything, there is many things around that you won't notice, getting down to make some harvests is taking a big risk in spooking a hidden turkey or coyote present in the area, they will see you while you will not see them, it happened to me really often and now i stay on my stand until the moment i decide to end the hunt session then i go collects all the animals on the ground, this seems like a small detail but it's very important for a successful hunt there.

Not sure if this is done in the expected form for the contest but at least i hope it will help a bit some people, good luck and good hunt :)
Last edited by K4n4y on April 16th, 2015, 9:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
RagingRabbit
Spotter

Post by RagingRabbit »

Here is my favourite Reserve and Setup in theHunter: Glorious Hirschfelden!

I Prefer to start at the Tent at the Bridge for a almost guaranteed Red Fox, 50% chance for a instant call north of the Tent even if ther's no call they are usually around. Got my first and only Albino Redfox there just a few Days ago, wich I'm a bit proud of :D

My full spread goose decoy is placed around a single Blind, since I had it on severeal other spots for several months I don't recognize a real difference were you place it, you have good days and you have bad ones. I just thought "well, it's the mid of the map, sooner or later they'll have to pass by..." and they do.

On the right side I have a small setup for some Driven hunting, but the feeder is down to 0/0 at the moment. Around there i also got my first and only Albino wild Boar :)

The Tent on the lower left is also a really good Spot for hunting Redfox and Reddeer, also a fair Number of Roebucks if you head East.

Besides the amazing possibilities for Pheasant, Fox, Deer and Boar, I really love Hirschfelden for reminding me of my Home. I'm from Germany and if i just walk away from Home for 10 Minutes I'm right in the Fields wich look almost exactly like HF, only we have no Red Deer around here anymore. So every Trip to Hirschfelden is like stepping out of my Door, but with the ability to restart if i don't like the Rain or the Sunshine :lol:
OSHAIo

Post by OSHAIo »

My favorite map is Val des Bois because after the stench of Rougarou Bayou swamp is the most beautiful place to breathe clean air and track the ibex on steep slopes.
Also it is always a pleasure to see his friends accidentally hit the big mountain slopes on the lower back :lol:

Some views from my settlements
WNorton

Post by WNorton »

Just woundering how may of these Post will be entered in to this competition, Seeing alot of them did not follow the simple rules.

In order to do that:
1. Start the game
2. Go to the map
3. Take a screenshot of the reserve map with large equipment placed (a good application for taking screenshots is Fraps, which can be downloaded for free here
4. Post it in this thread (in order to do that, upload your screenshot to some image hosting site, like Imgur or Ultimate theHunter Competitions and copy paste the link to it by using [img] tags)
5. (Preferable but not necessary) Share a story explaining why just this set-up is your favourite, e.g. "With this tent set-up on RFF I've bagged 56 Roosevelt Elk and maxed out my K98k. One time there was this Elk...", etc.

I see Many edited maps, Screen shots on their hunt, Screen shots of thier setups and a few posted more then once.
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

:arrow: WNorton: You're new to this forum, you have time to get used to "bending" the rules. :)
Spoiler:

ClemD
Scout

Post by ClemD »

My preferred setup is on Whitehart Island, south of the lake in the center of the main island. I consider this area the best for turkey hunting. There is always some action down there. In addition to turkey, it is a very area for Whitetail and Blacktail. It is also good for elk and coyote.
The field of view is very good, the area is beautiful with the morning mist. So I really love that area.

So I set up a ground blind just south of the lake and my turkey decoy 35 meters south of the blind. I have a tent approximately 175 meters north of my blind.

Two vies of my setup, the first one looking north and the second one looking south:

Rare: 153 – Non-Typical: 12
Competitions: 82 – Gold: 25, Silver: 29, Bronze: 23, Events: 5
Jocke244444

Post by Jocke244444 »

This is my best set-up for driven hunts on Hirschfelden and my goose set-up

mariusbouillon

Post by mariusbouillon »

To me this is one of the best Reseves. The middle tower is the best spot for all the species, shoot about 10 Roe deer and Reddeer at that tower in one houer. The top towers is nice spot for Ibex. The decoy is a marker for me for long distance shooting and the bear barrel works at that spot very nice. Feel free to join me in maltiplayer hunts.

Return to “Official Community Competitions”