Can You Tell Me About Multiplayer?

Invitations to hunts and discussions of Multiplayer related issues
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Can You Tell Me About Multiplayer?

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

I've been curious about Multiplayer since I started and am interested in joining others in Multiplayer at some point. I wanted to learn the game and get comfortable with it in single player before joining others.

Mostly I'm curious how others hunt in multiplayer?I'm wondering how multiplayer works in the sense of how do players hunt together on the same map in a way that is functional and fun for all playing the map? What are the different hunting styles and ways players go about using the same map? Do you roam the map together and take turns shooting animals? Do you divide the map and say you have one side and I have the other and players chat while hunting? What are driven hunts like? Is there a thread for this that would give me a better idea of multiplayer?
xOEDragonx

Re: Can You Tell Me About Multiplayer?

Post by xOEDragonx »

Multiplayer can work many ways. Sometimes, it's people hunting separately, far enough away from each other on the map as not to interrupt each other's hunts. I.e. 500m away from other players is the standard I use, since at that distance they can shoot with guns and not scare your animals.This allows for you to hunt on your own at your pace, but gives you the chance to communicate with the other players on the map and make friends.

Other times, it's people actually hunting together (usually just in pairs). They can share two person stands/towers/etc and take turns calling in and shooting animals. This is a very enjoyable thing to do if you have a close friend you'd like to hunt with. Or a player with more experience can take a new player out and about and let them shoot everything while they do all the calling and share any tips or tricks or gear they might have for different species. That is something I really enjoy doing for new players (and for new hunters, in real life).

Some people like to get a large group of players together to do drives. I've never partook in a drive in this game and don't plan to, but many people enjoy it. It's when you line up 6-8 players across the map about 100-200m apart, then you all walk in a semi-straight line across the map. By doing this, you push all the animals to one side of the map and assuming you're any good at shooting animals on the run, it can be a total slaughterfest. This requires players to be a good shot, a good sport, and they really have to commit to follow through on the entire drive since one person leaving can open the line and allow animals to get through. Just not my cup of tea for this game.

And then, you have waterfowl hunts. These usually involve anywhere from 1-8 players all in a single area in waterfowl blinds that shoot ducks or geese as they fly into decoys. These can be quite fun if you're with a bunch of players that know what they're doing, as you can rack up a lot of kills in a hurry if you're a good shot on airborne birds. Once you start getting new players that have no clue what they're doing, you can get people shooting early and spooking birds, which makes things a little more chaotic and a little less fun. Everyone can learn how to do it though and once you know how, hunting with several others over decoys makes for a great hunt.

Then there are people who have competitions. These aren't official or anything, they just take place on the server you're in and they're exclusively for funsies. You can hunt alone or get paired up with others (you can still hunt separately) and then compete in whatever informal way you want. Most kills, biggest animal and highest CSS are usually the main goal of those. Not many people have these sorts of competitions, but it can add a little bit of fun to the mix if you hunt with the same people often.

The bottom line to multiplayer is having fun, making friends, or getting help if you're struggling with a mission or don't know the best ways to hunt a particular species. Multiplayer is inherently the same thing as singleplayer, you're just now sharing the experience with others. Don't be afraid to talk and introduce yourself or ask questions if you have no clue what's going on. Follow the rules of the host so you don't get kicked (some say to stay certain distances away from other hunters, don't curse, only use certain weapons, etc). Not everyone you meet is going to be friendly or helpful. A good place to start is if you have any forum friends, join a game with them before joining random games. That way you can get the feel of what multiplayer is about before having to deal with random people. A lot of players also use chatting software to talk (Discord and Teamspeak are the two I'm most familiar with), so if you have a headset, feel free to join them if they share their channels.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Thank you for this detailed and helpful response xOEDragonx! I really appreciate it and has given me just the clarity I was looking for. I wish your response was included as part of the wiki. :)

Like you, 'driven hunts' don't appeal to me. And I was never overly excited about going after waterfowl. I tried waterfowl a couple times and it was fun even though I didn't have the right equipment for a fruitful expedition. I have to be in the right mood and better prepared to go for waterfowl.

I Love the idea of sharing a map with one or two other people and having fun conversation and respectful across-the-bow banter and competition. Nothing too serious...not going for monumental kill numbers....but playful challenges would be fun. :)
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:I Love the idea of sharing a map with one or two other people and having fun conversation and respectful across-the-bow banter and competition. Nothing too serious...not going for monumental kill numbers....but playful challenges would be fun. :)
What time zone are you in? I'd be happy to go on a MP hunt with you, I'm usually playing in the evenings (Central European Time Zone) and on weekends. Send me a PM if you like to hunt and we can try to make an appointment.
Image Image Image
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Tanngnjostr wrote:
InvisibleFlame9 wrote:I Love the idea of sharing a map with one or two other people and having fun conversation and respectful across-the-bow banter and competition. Nothing too serious...not going for monumental kill numbers....but playful challenges would be fun. :)
What time zone are you in? I'd be happy to go on a MP hunt with you, I'm usually playing in the evenings (Central European Time Zone) and on weekends. Send me a PM if you like to hunt and we can try to make an appointment.
Message sent! :) I'm Pacific Standard Time zone. :)
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

The same goes for me. If you'd like to try multiplayer with myself, just send me a message! I'm in EST time zone, not too far off from your own, and with my seasonal job being over for now I have plenty of time to share.

Return to “Multiplayer”