PRE RELEASE LIVESTREAM - New reserve

Broadcast live hunts, want to watch a live broadcast, have question about how to broadcast, this is where you can post it.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: PRE RELEASE LIVESTREAM - New reserve

Post by TreeKiwi »

Ah I think so? But it's very light. I will double check for you.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

TreeKiwi wrote:I really don't get everyone's problem with the hot weather mechanics. Its put into the game for immersion and realism. Its there so you know you are hunting in a hot area, but the mechanics don't stop you from hunting.
How would you feel about having to have a wee every now and then? Or suddenly need to dump a pile of poo in the nearest bush?
And you'll need to pack a shovel and TP aka mountain money, because otherwise your scent values will go through the roof?

Realism is fine, as long as it serves a purpose. This hydration thing is a mere nuisance at best.
The cold weather mechanics in WRR are also idiotic, as is the climbing stuff in VdB. Every single instance where some of this additional immersion/entertainment stuff was tried to be implemented, it was a total bust.
And this doesn't sound any better as an idea.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Stoops417

Post by Stoops417 »

Knut wrote: How would you feel about having to have a wee every now and then? Or suddenly need to dump a pile of poo in the nearest bush?
And you'll need to pack a shovel and TP aka mountain money, because otherwise your scent values will go through the roof?

Realism is fine, as long as it serves a purpose. This hydration thing is a mere nuisance at best.
The cold weather mechanics in WRR are also idiotic, as is the climbing stuff in VdB. Every single instance where some of this additional immersion/entertainment stuff was tried to be implemented, it was a total bust.
I couldn't really disagree with you more in hydration being a nuisance at best. The environmental challenge of WRR may be a bit binary, but I personally enjoy how I have to plan things out due to the climbing aspects of VdB. It affects how I plan my hunt and what my loadout is. It adds a layer of complexity to the game that other reserves are lacking and in that way, is a wonderful enhancement of it. Just like playing with Treestands or Towers provides a different style of gameplay, so does the environmental aspect of some reserves.

I find it refreshing that things are being changed up a bit instead of merely a reserve with just some new scenery and a few new animals. Like TreeKiwi, I don't understand why there's such pushback over a non-intrusive gameplay element that doesn't add expense to playing the game.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Damn cant wait to play on that map. I actually like the hydration mechanic , a lil something new to keep in mind.
The water areas are beautiful.
Animals look really well made.

Top stuff ! to bad i couldnt join it live but glad the videos are available on twitch :)

Thx for the first look guys - well done !
Seiska
Tracker

Post by Seiska »

This looks exciting! Hopefully I can drag myself out of bed on time to watch this happen live. ;)

Edit: Oops, nevermind! My bad, seems I missed the stream! Gotta go get caught up on that.
Last edited by Seiska on December 8th, 2017, 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I’ll have dirt on my feet and stars in my eyes.
I’ll be in the forest where the earth comes alive."
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

The new reserve looks great, from what I've seen so far. I love the new species, especially the Banteng! :)

But....
Knut wrote:How would you feel about having to have a wee every now and then? Or suddenly need to dump a pile of poo in the nearest bush?

I couldn't agree more, Knut! For me, this adds no additional gameplay value (just like freezing in WRR and climbing in VdB doesn't for me). And while I'm happy to spend lots of money on a new camo outfit, new callers, a big rifle for those bovines, some tents and stands to fill the new map... I'm just not willing to spend money on water bottles!

So if you think that this new mechanic could be fun for some, how about making it optional? Give us an option in the main menu to toggle it off, and then everyone who likes it can enjoy the new strategic element while I can just hunt the way I want without having to spend any additional gm$ or em$. I'd be happy with that! :D
Otherwise it might look like a sales stunt, as if you were trying to charge us for the new reserve through the backdoor - and we all know that new reserves are not "premium content" and having to pay for them was ruled out.
Image Image Image
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Tanngnjostr wrote:The new reserve looks great, from what I've seen so far. I love the new species, especially the Banteng! :)

But....
Knut wrote:How would you feel about having to have a wee every now and then? Or suddenly need to dump a pile of poo in the nearest bush?

I couldn't agree more, Knut! For me, this adds no additional gameplay value (just like freezing in WRR and climbing in VdB doesn't for me). And while I'm happy to spend lots of money on a new camo outfit, new callers, a big rifle for those bovines, some tents and stands to fill the new map... I'm just not willing to spend money on water bottles!

So if you think that this new mechanic could be fun for some, how about making it optional? Give us an option in the main menu to toggle it off, and then everyone who likes it can enjoy the new strategic element while I can just hunt the way I want without having to spend any additional gm$ or em$. I'd be happy with that! :D
Otherwise it might look like a sales stunt, as if you were trying to charge us for the new reserve through the backdoor - and we all know that new reserves are not "premium content" and having to pay for them was ruled out.
Everyone should be under the same rule set imo, so having the ability to toggle it off is not a good idea, from my point of view. Knut yes I would love having to stop and take a pee, like I say the more the merrier. This isn't an arcade hunting game and I am super happy about that. Bring on the peeing and pooping.
We are never going to be able to make everyone happy and I really think people are getting worked up over something they haven't tried them selves yet. You can't deny that we ran around for about the average persons hunt yesterday and only just started to see the affects of it. Oh dear while I am waiting for this animal to come in, I need to take a sip of water... the horror of having to press one more button.

I guess people are just selective about what realism aspects they want to see in the game.

*edit I forgot to mention this cost you nothing, so its not a "Money grab" or what ever you want to call it. Everyone gets a water bottle that replenishes every hunt and unlike ammo its for members and guests.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

TreeKiwi wrote:Everyone should be under the same rule set imo, so having the ability to toggle it off is not a good idea, from my point of view. Knut yes I would love having to stop and take a pee, like I say the more the merrier. This isn't an arcade hunting game and I am super happy about that. Bring on the peeing and pooping.
We are never going to be able to make everyone happy and I really think people are getting worked up over something they haven't tried them selves yet. You can't deny that we ran around for about the average persons hunt yesterday and only just started to see the affects of it. Oh dear while I am waiting for this animal to come in, I need to take a sip of water... the horror of having to press one more button.

I guess people are just selective about what realism aspects they want to see in the game.

*edit I forgot to mention this cost you nothing, so its not a "Money grab" or what ever you want to call it. Everyone gets a water bottle that replenishes every hunt and unlike ammo its for members and guests.
So you're saying we will barely notice it, there are no additional costs and the main aspect is just pressing one button every now and then? In this case, I'm fine with it. I'm just not sure where you see the benefit for the players or the company if it's designed this way...

I'm sorry for being so miserable about it - and you're right that we should wait and see how it works. What annoys me is the fact that I find it hard to believe that the devs really did this for gameplay reasons. I still suspect it's done to squeeze out a bit more money for clothes and water bottles. And I was one of the players who always defended the idea of paying for "premium content" like trophy poses, lodges or loadouts - but under the premise that one can enjoy new reserves and species without unnecessary extra cost.
Also this seems to be another mechanism that punishes those who like to have long, extended hunts. Players that like to restart their game every 15 minutes will never be affected, right? So while we're speaking of realism, how about introducing some realistic aspects that cater for "old school hunters" too? Like a limited number of hunts per day or tag limits? Wouldn't that be a good idea for the next events?

Well, I guess I made my point and I'll try hard to be as open-minded as possible about it until release.
Still this shouldn't take away from the fact that the new reserve and species look good and I'm looking forward to setting foot into "Piccabeen Bay" for the first time. Thanks to all the devs for this effort. :)
Image Image Image
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

I like the new features a lot(Water bottle, hydration).
IRL, when you go hunting in a hot area, you'll need to drink water. And when you hunting in a very cold area, you'll need warm clothes and if you go in the water, you'll freezing.
But about climbing in VdB, I don't like it either! So boring to me. At least EW can make it easier and when we press "E" on the rope, we fast travel to the other side of the rope! Just like Towers and Stands...! :)

About the new features in the new reserver, I think those are not complicated features in the game. This game supposes to be a Realistic hunting game. And drinking water every 30-60 real life minutes is good to me.
But if we need more water in our hunts, buying it with gm$ is not a good idea. We should be able to refill our bottle on the river! :D And refilling the bottle every hour is good and looks realistic to me!
And if you want to lower your body temperature, you can go in the river! So, there is no need to drink water all the time!
Tanngnjostr wrote:Like a limited number of hunts per day or tag limits? Wouldn't that be a good idea for the next events?
I really like this idea! This can help to prevent spawn mashing too!
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Stoops417 wrote: I personally enjoy how I have to plan things out due to the climbing aspects of VdB. It affects how I plan my hunt and what my loadout is. It adds a layer of complexity to the game that other reserves are lacking and in that way, is a wonderful enhancement of it.
But wouldn't that be exactly the same if instead of this climbing mini game there would be just small normal passages in the mountain?
TreeKiwi wrote: We are never going to be able to make everyone happy and I really think people are getting worked up over something they haven't tried them selves yet.
I've heard exactly the same argument the last times that weird game mechanics were introduced.
I know it's hard to let something go that one thinks is a neat idea, but listen to your player base.
If one thing is met with heavy, instant criticism, it's normally for a reason.

My professor in logics said once:
If an idea of yours is met with negative reviews, there are three possibilities:
a) you failed in explaining it
b) you are the only genius in a horde of idiots
or
c) it isn't a good idea
And b) is just always extremely unlikely. So you deserve the criticism —either for your explanation or your idea. Find out which of the two it is.

TreeKiwi wrote: I guess people are just selective about what realism aspects they want to see in the game.
Of course they are.
No one in their right mind would want to study one year for a hunting license test before being allowed to play the game.
There are a heck of a lot of real existing tasks and duties around hunting that would be extremely detrimental for a game.
Everyone is for example quite happy with bagging an animal with a click and being able to continue to hunt instead of having to field dress it, cut it up and spend a full day or two hauling it out.

Realism is great in a hunting game when it serves a purpose and enhances the experience.
But if you want to take care of your bodily needs in a game, you might be looking for a survival game or a bodily biology simulator and should be aware that it's likely that your preferences aren't shared by a majority.

And in reality I wouldn't be waiting for an animal and suddenly realising that I need to take a sip of water. If I did set up for a call, I am transfixed in the moment. Fully focussed, all senses alert. I wouldn't notice my thirst for hours.
Besides that I'd likely have a water bladder in my pack anyway and would probably just sip on that without consciously noticing.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov

Return to “Live Broadcasting”