Me (TK) - Official Community comps

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
Nockedup
Hunter

Re: Me (TK) - Official Community comps

Post by Nockedup »

TK, as long as you were logged into the game in a normal fashion and not using any dev tools, it would be a pleasure to see you participating in all of the competitions you can find the time to be in! :lol:
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nockedup's Twitch Channel

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

ask your boss. if you get the green light fill your boots. you were a player before it became a job.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

caledonianblues wrote:
HooCairs wrote:I remember this being pretty difficult. There were situations where people were identified as cheaters, or where the game produced double scores due to some bug, and EW rarely removed such results from comps unless it was a major event. Correct me if I am wrong. Maybe you should first check who you would have to bother every time this happens. ;)
Wouldn't deactivating the competition the website or launcher remove his entry?
You can activate and deactivate comps as much as you like, your entries stay. But maybe he meant "remove myself from the comp" as in "deactivating the comp before harvesting". In that case no entry would make it on the board. But once there is an entry, it takes a dev to purge it from the database.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

If the original idea was to get the trophy then you would need to be in the comp to completion, and could not remove yourself until after it was too late, and you already pushed someone out of 3rd.
And if you are going to remove yourself from the comp before harvesting, it kind of defeat the entire purpose of being in it in the first place.

Now while I do think it would be quite attractive if more EW staff were seen playing the game (comps are the easiest way to see this), it in no way can remove the paying customers rewards.

Just think about the spawn mashing issue before attempts were added. The issue was that those in the top 3 suddenly got beat by someone who hunted for 18 hours 10 minutes at a time. Those mashers did put in lots of time, it just wasn't the way a lot think the game should be played.

I think having an EW employee taking away wins would have the same affect.

There has been a miniscule amount in this post compared those in the comps that said no problem, and go for it.
As I said no one will care until you push them down or out, and then some of them will.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

For argument's sake let's say TK keeps his membership, his weapons and all skills etc. as before, on his own dime and totally separate from EW in all respects. Is that enough to satisfy all of these apparently rigid conditions to be able to enter his individual harvests? Could that be considered?

What's the fear here, that he will cheat, or just that someone will cry foul and call the Internet Cops, and the Cyber Police, and the Bureau of Online Gaming Ethics and Practices, and the International Virtual Hunting Overseers Committee? You know, IN REAL LIFE even the members of the governing bodies of big game hunting organizations are allowed to compete in their own competitions. Who is making the rules here? If EW says it's ok then that should be the end of it. Seriously, if he pays to play let him play. To me it's just plain good PR, and yet it's being turned into a nitpickers' paradise, a feast of sour grapes and dumb rules, and a ridiculous case of the tail wagging the dog.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

I guess I just wanted to be open and honest about it all and I only want to stay in it because I enjoy the competitive side of it all.
Like I say you have to take my word for it, but working here has given me no inside information that gives me any more advantage than you guys have. In fact I have been in a few test situations where I have been able to point a Dev in a direction to find an animal they needed and the only way I could do this was from my previous knowledge gathered by putting so many hours in. I started a week before trophy lodges came out I think it was and at last look I have played 1336 hours in game. You can watch the live EW streams and my pre EW videos and see how I hunt. I have never won any event competitions yet to date, so you would only have to get suspicious if I started placing regularly, which I know wont happen as I don't have nearly as much time to play now as I once did. My account that I play on is my own account still and as you may have figured out that yes I will get a weapon free as that's now my job to show them to you all in stream etc. Its just a perk of the job, like any of you get for your own industry. Previously I had unlimited access to Chainsaws and firewood for free... I hope you get my point. I have also started setting my maps up better for future multiplayer streams, this is done with you guys in mind. I am a stalk hunter in game and don't care much for equipment, not saying I haven't or dont use it . But again you just have to take my word for. I guess what I am trying to say is that I have a clean conscious and I feel in my roll now I can get involved in the community on an even deeper level and everything I do is to try bring you guys the best entertainment and fun that I can. But to be so deeply involved I need to stay involved.

I hope you guys come watch the Daily holiday streams we have planned and you might start to recognise my intentions are good :)
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

I can understand that you, just like many others enjoy the competition for this game. But you took a job with the company for which a perk is you no longer need to pay for the game. You are no longer a customer of which the comps are created for.

Kind of like you working for someone in a bakery, and there is one chocolate cake in the display case. A customer comes in and says "I would like that cake" and you tell them "sorry, I am taking that one home with me". It doesn't matter that a perk would be you could take the cake. What matters is the cake that the baker created so customers would pay him, and in turn the baker would pay you, you took.

Personally I don't care, but from a business standpoint, it just isn't what should be done.

Now if you really still want to compete you need to have them create or modify some of the current comps to be a perk for the customer if you are in the comp.
Something that would put you in as part of the comp, and part of your job would then be to actually compete in that comp.

Modified existing could be for example " Top Turkey & beat TreeKiwi"
Top scoring Turkey is you entry and if your score is higher than TreeKiwi's the prize is doubled.

A new one could be a set prize, and just have the & beat TreeKiwi in it already.

I would suggest making those comps MP/SP and, stream while you compete in them.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Sycoshowbob

Post by Sycoshowbob »

TreeKiwi wrote:I guess I just wanted to be open and honest about it all and I only want to stay in it because I enjoy the competitive side of it all.
Like I say you have to take my word for it, but working here has given me no inside information that gives me any more advantage than you guys have. In fact I have been in a few test situations where I have been able to point a Dev in a direction to find an animal they needed and the only way I could do this was from my previous knowledge gathered by putting so many hours in. I started a week before trophy lodges came out I think it was and at last look I have played 1336 hours in game. You can watch the live EW streams and my pre EW videos and see how I hunt. I have never won any event competitions yet to date, so you would only have to get suspicious if I started placing regularly, which I know wont happen as I don't have nearly as much time to play now as I once did. My account that I play on is my own account still and as you may have figured out that yes I will get a weapon free as that's now my job to show them to you all in stream etc. Its just a perk of the job, like any of you get for your own industry. Previously I had unlimited access to Chainsaws and firewood for free... I hope you get my point. I have also started setting my maps up better for future multiplayer streams, this is done with you guys in mind. I am a stalk hunter in game and don't care much for equipment, not saying I haven't or dont use it . But again you just have to take my word for. I guess what I am trying to say is that I have a clean conscious and I feel in my roll now I can get involved in the community on an even deeper level and everything I do is to try bring you guys the best entertainment and fun that I can. But to be so deeply involved I need to stay involved.

I hope you guys come watch the Daily holiday streams we have planned and you might start to recognise my intentions are good :)
I do not see any problem of you as a player, participating in the competitions, regardless of your position within the team today. So, like many other veteran players, I believe that several agree with me, when I say, that there are no impediments to their participation, for the reason that today I am a member of EW. All competitions are or must be democratic, regardless of your current position as a player. Of course this should always be in accordance with the rules accepted in the game, it is the case of criteria of divisions as categories of hunter level among others. If this meets the requirements imposed on everyone, then everything is right and happy hunting!
Stoops417

Post by Stoops417 »

I may be a bit late here, but I wanted to offer my opinion as well.

Community Managers are part moderator, and part salesperson. (And part other things as well I'm sure!) I feel like to do your job, you need to be in touch with the community as much as possible and in this case, competitions are a big part of the TheHunter community. If you didn't take part in them, how would you be able to understand players viewpoints so that you can relate them to the development team?

I feel that by taking part in the official competitions not only are you being a better Community Manager by being involved with the community shoulder to shoulder, you are benefiting the community (and company) by enjoying the game you are supporting. Enjoying the product you are selling is infectious, it shows in everything you do. It gets current and future customers excited about the product and it helps you to get the developers excited as well.

In my opinion, there's no question as to the ethical situation of a staff member taking part. In the case of a Community Manager, I think it's not only acceptable but extremely beneficial to the community, the company, and the game at large.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Stoops417 wrote:I may be a bit late here, but I wanted to offer my opinion as well.
I enjoy that refreshing point of perspective. I think a lot of times, those of us that have rubbed shoulders for a number of weeks, months and in some cases many years that we almost know what to expect from each other. Now a view from someone outside of a particular group, albeit a newer person, I think is refreshing! Your comments make me look for a larger range of view and it looks pretty good. Great input!
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “Competitions”