The Hunting Grounds - Whiteout 6th Anniversary (Jun19 - Jul17)

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: The Hunting Grounds - Whiteout 6th Anniversary (Jun19 - Jul17)

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Been looking at some of these unreal scores people are putting up. To be in the top 5 of Red Kangaroo requires a score of 89.135 or better. The very first Roo I ever shot was 86.456 in Season 17. The best since is 84 something. The max weight for a Roo in the Wiki is 91. I see spotting that says 65-95 score or 70-95 score, but the weight says 55-75, meaning the highest score can only be 75 because the scores are based on weight. It just does no good in this game to look for big tracks. It's all just pure luck. Grancazador has a 90.844 good for 3rd on the leaderboard and didn't take a trophy shot. Are you guys that blase about once in a lifetime trophies? Your choice, just wondering.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
dools24
Tracker

Post by dools24 »

Not me always get photo and spending a lot of em$ mounting :lol:
going to miss my 204 dall wish it could of been put in hope it don't cost me a win
grancazador
Scout

Post by grancazador »

stancomputerhunter wrote:. Grancazador has a 90.844 good for 3rd on the leaderboard and didn't take a trophy shot. Are you guys that blase about once in a lifetime trophies? Your choice, just wondering.
You're right I do not to take a picture of this specimen the reason is that I never thought it was a good one since my spoting skill in Kangaroo is only 8 of 20 whenever I see a kangaroo I do not know if it's going to be a good one.
This one I shot it from a tower when I was watching the goats, I just picked it up and never noticed how good it was until I entered the web for the competition to report a pig.
Regards.
Spoiler:
Buena Caza
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

WizzardNZ wrote:Every animal submitted needs a trophy shot. Its written plain and simple. Now all of a sudden the rules are thrown out the window and and in my mind this is rubbish. If you make a competition with clear rules then they should be followed to the end. This way its fair for all. Otherwise this competition lacks integrity as do the people running it. Why would anyone bother about this comp or others in the future when it isn't a level playing field.
This needs sorting out!ZZZ
Saying that the hosts "lack integrity" just because it wasn't 100% clear whether a trophy shot is required or not isn't appropriate if you ask me. Do you know how much work it is to set up such a competition? Sometimes mistakes happen, sometimes things aren't 100% clear, but posts like yours are a big discouragement for any host who's investing his time and his personal money. :(
Image Image Image
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

You don't need to take trophy shots.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
WizzardNZ

Post by WizzardNZ »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
WizzardNZ wrote:Every animal submitted needs a trophy shot. Its written plain and simple. Now all of a sudden the rules are thrown out the window and and in my mind this is rubbish. If you make a competition with clear rules then they should be followed to the end. This way its fair for all. Otherwise this competition lacks integrity as do the people running it. Why would anyone bother about this comp or others in the future when it isn't a level playing field.
This needs sorting out!ZZZ
Saying that the hosts "lack integrity" just because it wasn't 100% clear whether a trophy shot is required or not isn't appropriate if you ask me. Do you know how much work it is to set up such a competition? Sometimes mistakes happen, sometimes things aren't 100% clear, but posts like yours are a big discouragement for any host who's investing his time and his personal money. :(
Your Kidding right? My post is disappointing why?
Because the tournament rules are clearly posted as to needing a trophy shot for every animal submitted, but yet when i ask for clarification on this i am fobbed off with cryptic replies that don't answer my questions.
I have entered this competition and have worked hard to find high scoring animals for my submissions. I'm sure others are putting effort in too. The people who are running this i'm sure have put effort into this as well. So when some asks for the rules of said competition to be made clear don't make it hard for the person seeking clarification of them. In this day an age where some people who play these comps are not playing fair by using third party programs to effectively cheat there way to victory, I would have thought any measure to counter this would be applied I E: A trophy shot for every animal submitted. By not bothering to enforce your own rules it makes you look amateur at best, and worse well...

I am new to these forums and it is only the second forum comp i have entered so when a moderator tells me that my posting is a "discouragement" it definitely makes me wonder about what sort of a Forum this is. Being clear and honest should be a priority for all. Shame you do Not see it that way too!
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

WizzardNZ wrote:By not bothering to enforce your own rules it makes you look amateur at best, and worse well...
Well technically all community competitions are "amateur" in that hosts are not being paid for their time or efforts. Quite the opposite actually since hosts invest their time (and money for prizes) for no return besides satisfaction.

Maybe you can host a competition and show us all how it's done? ;)
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

WizzardNZ wrote:Your Kidding right? My post is disappointing why?
Of course I can't speak for the hosts of this comp, but I've hosted my own community competitions before and I've been in this situation - getting criticized harshly ("lack of integrity" is harsh in my opinion) for a rather minor problem after I've invested a lot of time and my own private money - I always found it discouraging.
WizzardNZ wrote:Because the tournament rules are clearly posted as to needing a trophy shot for every animal submitted, but yet when i ask for clarification on this i am fobbed off with cryptic replies that don't answer my questions.
You can't expect Tod (who speaks for Whiteout Hunting = hosts) to be online all the time. Several forum users (me included) tried to explain that they think a trophy shot is not necessary for this comp - even though it's stated in the generic Whiteout rules, but Tod already said "Don't worry about it for this comp" - and one hour ago Tod confirmed this officially.
WizzardNZ wrote:In this day an age where some people who play these comps are not playing fair by using third party programs to effectively cheat there way to victory, I would have thought any measure to counter this would be applied I E: A trophy shot for every animal submitted. By not bothering to enforce your own rules it makes you look amateur at best, and worse well...
If you think that someone is cheating, open a ticket with support and/or contact the hosts. I don't know whether trophy shots would help much to prevent cheating, originally they were meant to show which graphics setting someone is playing on. But Whiteout decided to open this competition to everyone and drop the requirement to play on high settings and include trophy shots. Their comp, their rules. They could've made it clearer that the trophy shot rule doesn't apply here, but then - I don't see it as a big issue. Most players in this comp are members of Whiteout or veterans of this game, I don't think anyone is cheating.
WizzardNZ wrote:I am new to these forums and it is only the second forum comp i have entered so when a moderator tells me that my posting is a "discouragement" it definitely makes me wonder about what sort of a Forum this is. Being clear and honest should be a priority for all. Shame you do Not see it that way too!
Huh? Am I not allowed to speak my mind just because I'm a moderator? I didn't even mean my criticism personal, I just wanted to remind you that this in not an official comp and the hosts are just players that are investing a lot, doing a lot for the game and the community - and that maybe you should think twice before saying they lack integrity.
Image Image Image
RudiRR
Scout

Post by RudiRR »

WizzardNZ wrote:I have entered this competition and have worked hard to find high scoring animals for my submissions. I'm sure others are putting effort in too. The people who are running this i'm sure have put effort into this as well. So when some asks for the rules of said competition to be made clear don't make it hard for the person seeking clarification of them. In this day an age where some people who play these comps are not playing fair by using third party programs to effectively cheat there way to victory, I would have thought any measure to counter this would be applied I E: A trophy shot for every animal submitted. By not bothering to enforce your own rules it makes you look amateur at best, and worse well...

Being clear and honest should be a priority for all. Shame you do Not see it that way too!
100% I agree.
WizzardNZ

Post by WizzardNZ »

caledonianblues wrote:
WizzardNZ wrote:By not bothering to enforce your own rules it makes you look amateur at best, and worse well...
Well technically all community competitions are "amateur" in that hosts are not being paid for their time or efforts. Quite the opposite actually since hosts invest their time (and money for prizes) for no return besides satisfaction.

Maybe you can host a competition and show us all how it's done? ;)
No wish to host host my own. I just wished clarity on a rule for the competition which was not provided when first asked. It was unclear for me and other players I hunt with, hence the question asked. It is now cleared up. No need for you gents to take offence.
Thanks.

Return to “Competitions”