Ideas for Competitions

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
L3M182
Outfitter

Re: Ideas for Competitions

Post by L3M182 »

1.use off harvest value. to many well placed, well taken instant kills with an appropriate firearm are beaten by somone slamming a .300 up the back door of an animal that fleeing after missing the first 2 then manages to track it down an hour later.
2.longer and shorter comps.ranging from maybe 12 hours up to a week or so.
3. waterfowl hunts that only permit a set limit of shots. say highest score gained with 90 or 180 shells. i love waterfowling but i havent got time to spend the best part of 48 hours in the blind taking 1000s of ducks.
4 comps that allow feeders and comps that prohibit them.
5. comps that take place at the clay pigeon stations or ranges.
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

Aside from the obvious comps for animals that dont have any yet, I'd like to see a few things added and most have been mensioned once already but I have a few suggestions as well.

Add a "Community Comps" page with links to appropriate forum topics to raise awareness and grow our community.

Fix CSS, or use normalized scoring for better multi species comps.

Add more multi species comps

Add Reserve Specific comps

Add filters to the comp page so we may search for weapon specific, location specific, weighted scoring, longest shot, etc.

Increased incentives to participate in comps.

Multi comp events with normalized scoring where hunters are awarded points based on placement of each comp. Call it a Tournement if you want.

Let us see where we placed in comps beyond 20th and let us view previous comps we've entered on a personal comp history page so we can track our stats without digging.

Most of what I suggest is UI stuff, I know but they're the things others haven't said here that I've heard (and agree with) in the past.

When in doubt, ask David. He sees all pros and cons pretty well and has many great ideas and opinions.
Last edited by Foxtrotter on April 22nd, 2017, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Returning Soon!
THE IRONMAN SEASONAL SERIES COMPETITIONS

Brought to you by Foxtrotter and http://www.UHCapps.co.uk
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

DYEUZ wrote: What do you like about our competitions? Not a lot to be honest . Always same kind / genre / species . Won by pretty much same players . Some are open for spawnmashing and the distance ones , well, you need to be equipped with tents and all to do those . We need fresh ideas , new comps .
What can we improve in the future? Prizes . Make them higher , more appealing to try them comps , more rewarding . Stop with the long / short distance ones . Nothing about skills here . Make them with less attempts .
What do you want to see more of? Team comps . Multi player comps . Other animals then the ones ,presently , repetitive every week or so.
All is said by DYEUZ here, you are able to create team comps as the showdown's so you could create a "Multiplayer Comp Section" ( 2 players for one score ) multispecies or not. A great add for the game.
Thanks
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Ideas for Competitions

Post by HooCairs »

hunterPumpkinhead wrote:Also, it would be interesting to have some comps (not all) that only allow 1 attempt.
You have my vote on this one. :)

What I really liked in the original hunter (before MP) were the ingame news scrolling at the bottom of the screen telling you about changes in the top 10 of your current comps, e.g. "Francis95 has scored a 28.705 Pheasant and is now in 1st place in Little Wing."
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

HooCairs wrote:
hunterPumpkinhead wrote:Also, it would be interesting to have some comps (not all) that only allow 1 attempt.
You have my vote on this one. :)

What I really liked in the original hunter (before MP) were the ingame news scrolling at the bottom of the screen telling you about changes in the top 10 of your current comps, e.g. "Francis95 has scored a 28.705 Pheasant and is now in 1st place in Little Wing."
I would be open to this as long as there was a "Toggle News" on/off button in the ingame options.

There are times when I just enter into anything applicable to a reserve that I am going to hunt in. I am a hunter of opportunity and dont necessarily hunt anything specific. This is especially true when focusing on missions.
Returning Soon!
THE IRONMAN SEASONAL SERIES COMPETITIONS

Brought to you by Foxtrotter and http://www.UHCapps.co.uk
DarkLord
Scout

Post by DarkLord »

I would like to see some additional Laura Francese MP comps added. Here are some animal/weapon pairings I thought might make sense.

Grizzly Bear / Polar Bear / .454
Turkey / Pheasant / 12ga or 20ga
Cottontail / Snowshoe / .22
Ibex / Bighorn / .270? ( I dunno, I barely hunt these things)
Feral Goats / Dahl Sheep / .223

Also, I think far too many comps have been added recently that have arbitrary stipulations, like spooked/unspooked or longest/shortest distance. IMO, there aren't enough players that enjoy competing in these types of comps to justify how many there are.
Spoiler:
Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

Not sure if there's much new I can add to the existing posts, but anyway, here's my opinions:

What I like:

Decent selection of competitions for each specie. Although much is similar, some requirements are off-putting and some are system exploiting(range).

What can you improve:

-More cool trophies(get the old ones back!) & higher prizes - I find this motivating to participate.
-More comps for MP or mode-free comps. One alternative would be MP/mode-free editions of existing comps. Now, to limit the effect of people working together, the comps could have some skill to it(single brain/heart-shot, 100% HV, etc.) and limited attempts, say 5. The reason I would like more MP games are the social aspect - I like having someone to chat with while playing, this is currently only possible in MP. Gets dull hunting alone all the time.

What do I want to see in the future:

-More multi-species comps. I've mentioned it before, and Darklord is on the same track in the previous post, we have 2 goats, 2 sheep(soon), 2 elk, 3 rabbits/hares, 4 canines & 4 bears. Make more Laura comps, or similar.
-Redo the CSS system. This could then be used to make sure that all animals count the same in those big Multi-species comps(event comps). A black bear scoring 23 should be way better then a 700 scoring feral hog. For instance: If CSS was based on the % of the min/max possible score, you would have a 1-100 points system which would make it far more rewarding for the hunters harvesting big bears(and turkeys/pheasants/canines etc). I believe caledonianblues already has a system for this, "Normalized scoring" - talk to him.
- Would like to see some "No barrels/feeders comps." If there's an active feeder in the reserve at the start of the hunt, all animals will disqualify. Will give us some bear & pig comps without people spawn mashing their barrels.
-Different kind of comps? Maybe best animals from all species harvested in a single hunt on one map? Or just on one map - like the "Yuletide in Val-des-Bois" comp: https://www.thehunter.com/#competitions ... eaderboard (this would require the mentioned fix to the CSS system).

Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

I would like if the player can activate only one competition at the same time. And I would like also timelimited sessions. E.g. 5 attempts a max 2 hours realtime per session.
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

Pittie wrote:I would like if the player can activate only one competition at the same time. And I would like also timelimited sessions. E.g. 5 attempts a max 2 hours realtime per session.
to be honest. wouldnt like to have both of that....

as mentioned earlier, it would be great to have the possibility to check your result after a comp more easily than it is now.

also I want to support hoo with the begin and ending times of competitions. this should be more fair for european and eastern time zone players.

the competition site could also need an overhaul.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Real multi-player comps. i.e. team based competitions

Normalized scoring for multi-species comps (CSS without the multiplier)

The web page could use some love. Persistent filters (species, current/previous, weapons) would be nice.
Add a "Previously Enrolled" section at the top by the "Enrolled Comps" so people can quickly find the page for comps they participated in.
Likewise for the special events. They should be left up for a couple days after the event so people can see the results.

Better support for community sponsored comps. (Implement David's Competition Generator. Include additional stats on the hunts/scoresheets to support additional rules. A function for comp sponsors to offer items & other increments of EM$ as prizes.)

Comps that cater to casual players would be nice, and I think would increase participation.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “Competitions”