Guessing Games - Regular Prizes

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: Guessing Games - Regular Prizes

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Someone please explain this to me in layman's terms. I am completely confused. The problem said "open the map". Open the map where? I started at the northern lodge in WHI, and could never figure out when I was at the end of the map pushing my cursor around. Your picture, David, shows all blue water. If I open the map of EHR, there is no place that is all blue water, unless you go beyond the borders of the map, which I thought was illegal. Also, the problem said put the map of EHR on the top of the world. That is the north pole. How did you get the map to cover any part of Africa? I just don't understand.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Someone please explain this to me in layman's terms. I am completely confused.
Sorry for the delay Stan. I will try to explain it better.
stancomputerhunter wrote:The problem said "open the map". Open the map where?
I meant open the map in the game, i.e. by pressing "m" (default key) or by right-clicking with the hunter mate equipped.
stancomputerhunter wrote:I started at the northern lodge in WHI, and could never figure out when I was at the end of the map pushing my cursor around.
Regardless of which reserve you hunt on, or your location within the reserve, the entire map of the EHR is visible. You can zoom in and out and pan the map using the mouse. The idea was that people would pan to the far corners of the EHR map and note the coordinates. By far corners I mean the edges of the subtle square area, just before the water texture stops and becomes a solid colour.
stancomputerhunter wrote:Your picture, David, shows all blue water. If I open the map of EHR, there is no place that is all blue water, unless you go beyond the borders of the map, which I thought was illegal.
The image I uploaded was just to highlight the coordinates, and one corner (northwest) of the map. I had panned way off the reserve I was on to get to the far northwest corner for the purposes of demonstrating where to get the coordinates. When you open the map in the game, you're free to look at any part of the EHR, not just the reserve you're on. Granted, most of the time there's no reason to do that, but there's nothing stopping you. The only thing that's not allowed in the game, is shooting animals beyond the defined border of a reserve, and walking outside the border. The latter prompts a message to return to the reserve, and countdown timer. The former stops you from shooting and also presents a message. But in this case, I didn't mean you should walk to the far corners of the map, since this is impossible.
stancomputerhunter wrote:Also, the problem said put the map of EHR on the top of the world. That is the north pole. How did you get the map to cover any part of Africa? I just don't understand.
When I said "placed on top of Earth", I didn't mean literally over the north pole. I should perhaps have worded it differently and said, "placed on the surface of the Earth". I had to be careful not to give too much info away and, at the time, that was the best wording I could come up with. The reason people figured out that it should be placed over Africa is because if you take the NW and SE coordinates in the EHR map in the game then plot a square using those coordinates on Earth, that's where you end up.

Hopefully that makes things a bit clearer.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

This explains it way better. Thank you. I should make it clear, I made no attempt to solve this puzzle before you posted the solution. I did open the entire map of EHR, just as you described, but since I had already seen the solution you posted, I made the assumption to include the dark blue water, as in your picture. My sole purpose was to see if I could get the same numbers you did. I get it now. Thank you.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Challenge #14 - A Numbers Game

PLEASE DO NOT POST THE ANSWERS ON THIS THREAD - READ BELOW

Time for another brain teaser. Same rules as always folks. The answer must be sent to me in a private message. Please do not send multiple private messages. I will accept only your first answer. If anyone posts the answer or tips/hints on this thread, the challenge and prizes will be withdrawn.

Questions
In the picture above there are two items of relevance; one at the top and one at the bottom. Each item has a corresponding question which, when answered, will form the first two digits of the latitude or longitude of a set of coordinates. These can then be appended to the answers of another two questions, to give you a full set of coordinates. Once you have the complete coordinates, you need to travel to that location in the EHR and tell me exactly where you are.

The first three people to send me the correct answer will win a prize:

1st - 10,000 em$
2nd - 5,000 em$
3rd - 2,500 em$

Top: (Q1) In degrees, what are the exterior angles of the object shown? (Q2) Which integer is the only one which is one greater than an integer squared, and one less than an integer cubed? Append both answers, e.g. if the answer to the first question was 12 and the answer to the second question was 34, you would have 1234. Convert the answer to a negative (add a "-" to the front) and you now have the X coordinates.

Bottom: (Q1) What are the numbers from this helicopter's military designation? (Q2) What atomic number would you have if you found a chemical element at the Emergency Room? Append both answers, as above (only this time do not convert them to negative). You now have the Y coordinates.

If you travel to this location in the EHR, where exactly are you? Please note, I do not want you to send me the coordinates. I want you to send me the location. Where exactly are you? Be specific. Feel free to include a screenshot if you wish, although this is not essential.

Good luck :)
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

I'll pass on this Game . My brain is cooked , just reading it . :shock:
Really for the real Anglophones . :lol:

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

kevin2106
Hunter

Post by kevin2106 »

Not everyone are Einsteins David... :lol:

Respect to the ones that solve this one!

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

kevin2106 wrote:Not everyone are Einsteins David... :lol:
It doesn't take a genius. You just have to think about the questions. This has been tested with 2 people. They both managed to arrive at the answer.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Try your test on two Francophone people next time and see what happens . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Top (Q1) i can manage , the rest ! :o :shock: :? :lol:

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

I think the only thing more difficult than solving these puzzles is creating them. Ok, and maybe waiting ever so non-patiently to see the results! Thanks for yet another great puzzle, not to mention another SWEETLY generous prize, wows. And also, but not least, congratulations on your family's newest addition Caledonianblues!
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Alright, we have 3 winners. In order of submission:
  • grancazador
  • J_Birdman
  • _0_
Congratulations! The em$ have been transferred to your game accounts, enjoy them.

There were some very close answers that didn't quite qualify and one other correct submission where the participant was not in it for the prize. Here is the solution, for anyone interested.

Top Image | Q1: In degrees, what are the exterior angles of the object shown?
This was a photograph of The Pentagon which, as the name suggests, forms the shape of a pentagon. A pentagon has 5 equal exterior angles of 72°. An exterior angle of a polygon is an angle outside the polygon formed by one of its sides and the extension of an adjacent side. Another quick way of arriving at the answer is to divide 360 by the number of sides.

Top Image | Q2: Which integer is the only one which is one greater than an integer squared, and one less than an integer cubed?
26 is the only integer that is one greater than an integer squared (5² + 1) and one less than an integer cubed (3³ − 1).

Append both answers then convert them to negative and you get -7226, which becomes the X coordinate.

Bottom Image | Q1: What are the numbers from this helicopter's military designation?
The helicopter in the photograph is a Boeing CH-47 Chinook, so the answer is 47.

Bottom Image | Q2: What atomic number would you have if you found a chemical element at the Emergency Room?
This was somewhat cryptic. In the periodic table Er represents Erbium, which has an atomic number of 68.

Append both answers and you get 4768, which becomes the Y coordinate.

Travel to that spot in the EHR and you will be here:

Runner's Peak in Settler Creeks.

Once again, congratulations to those who answered correctly and, thanks to everyone else who took part and gave it a try. Until next time :)

Return to “Competitions”