Guessing Games - Regular Prizes

Talk about official or unofficial competitions. Feel free to host your own!
xOEDragonx

Re: Guessing Games - Regular Prizes

Post by xOEDragonx »

Well someone probably beat me to it, but I sent in my guesses. That was definitely a tricky one, and even my final results weren't flawless XD
JuA

Post by JuA »

I think i was too slow, thanks for the chalenge and good job to the winners ! :)
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Congrats geniuses! :D

Okay, it's time for the answer!
Season Stats
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Sorry to keep you all waiting. There were 3 winners much faster than I anticipated. The next challenge will have to be tougher :)

Here are the winners, in order of submission:
  • Granti
  • grancazador
  • xOEDragonx
Congratulations, and happy shopping.

For those who want to know how the problem was solved, it's pretty simple.
Given the information available from within the game, if using decimal degrees to express latitude and longitude, and ignoring in-game "scale", if the EHR were to be placed on top of Earth, which 23 countries (excluding islands) would it overlap (overlap can be entirely or partially).
When I referred to decimal degrees I was talking about the coordinates used in the game. If you load the game and open the map, you will see the coordinates for your position, and your cursor. The idea was to move your cursor to the northwest corner of the map and note the coordinates, then repeat for the southeast corner. The results are:

Code: Select all

NW: -16.384, -16.384
SE: 16.384, 16.384

The point where prime meridian and the equator intersect on the planet is 0,0 in decimal degrees. So you work in each direction from there. If you plot those points on a map of the world, you get this:

The correct answer was all 23 countries (excluding islands) which were overlapped either partially or in full. Here is the correct answer:

Code: Select all

Angola
Benin
Burkina Faso
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Cote d'Ivoire
Democratic Republic of Congo
Equitorial Guinnea
Gabon
Ghana
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Liberia
Mali
Mauritania
Niger
Nigeria
Republic of Congo
Senegal
Sierra Leone
The Gambia
Togo
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Wow, I did it a slightly more convoluted way then XD

The first time I tried, while I was still trying to wrap my head around what the problem wanted, I took the northern Y, southern Y, western X and eastern X most points of the actual reserves (northern was north WRR, western was west coast of WHI, southern was bottom boundary of BRR and eastern was far east Hirsch). I then made points out of those four decimals, and plotted almost the same rectangle as above with a little help from google Earth. Because I based my coordinates on the reserves themselves though, I initially got a much smaller rectangle that only touched about 18-20 countries. So I went back and did the same thing, but this time I took coordinates of the absolute edges of the continent itself (northern was a little tiny island north of WRR, western was still west coast WHI, southern was an island a little ways below BRR and eastern was now a massive island east of Hirsch). With the new coordinates plotted, my rectangle was bigger and now covered 22 countries... and just barely missed country #23 (Mauritania). This time I just assumed that perhaps the coordinates were supposed to be of the whole map and not the continents themselves, so I guessed my rectangle was still a tad small. Fortunately, Mauritania was the only other country even remotely close to the rectangle I had and I would have had to expand it significantly to touch any other, so I assumed Mauritania was my missing country. Glad I assumed right :)

It was certainly a fun challenge! If you make them any harder though, I doubt I'll be able to figure it out! As it is, I'm apparently clever enough to figure out how to solve this puzzle, but not clever enough to realize I didn't actually have to go to every one of those four mentioned reserves in-game... twice... to get the coordinates I needed (To be fair, I use a touchpad and don't have a scroll wheel so it just never occurs to me that the WHOLE map is visible from a single reserve... but still).

Thank you for the puzzle David, I enjoy brain-bogglers and the gift is very much appreciated! Looking forward to the next one.

EDIT: The biggest surprise of all with this whole puzzle... the sudden realization that we've had Africa in the game all along!
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Congrats to those 3 geniuses! :D
Actually, I find the cordinates but I confused and I didn't use those cordinates and NW/SE. :D

But it was a fun comp.

Thanks, David.
Season Stats
Spoiler:
grancazador
Scout

Post by grancazador »

The lesson of geography about coordenates that I received in sixth grade, which I thought would never be useful for anything, was very useful yesterday.
Thank you David for the prize is already active in my account.
Congratulations to the other winners.
Spoiler:
Buena Caza
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

I borked it all up. Grats to the winners, nice tough challenge.
Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

really fun comp and something completly different.

thanks for that to david and for the already received prize!
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

xOEDragonx wrote:EDIT: The biggest surprise of all with this whole puzzle... the sudden realization that we've had Africa in the game all along!
Only by an error of scale. The map overlayed by degrees is over 2000 miles square. The real EHR is only about 20 miles square.

It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “Competitions”