FPS issues on TGT after one of last updates.

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
MetalMind
Outfitter

FPS issues on TGT after one of last updates.

Post by MetalMind »

As the title says... I did nothing with my hardware / software and it is the only reserve where I experience FPS drop to 40 - 35. Other reserves works well. Anyone else is experiencing it?
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: FPS issues on TGT after one of last updates.

Post by caledonianblues »

Moved to <Support & Technical Issues>

You're not alone. I believe others have reported this issue. I did a test the other week and couldn't reproduce the problem, and I believe the developers have been unable to yet also.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

I'm intending to record a clip about what I'm getting, but here it goes.

Today I was on wrr, but it's the same on any map, even the old ones: I'm v-sync locked on 60, then something unknown happens and I drop to precisely 30 fps. One, two or maybe even 10 seconds later, I climb back to a steady 60 fps.
The most interesting thing is that, during those 30 fps periods, the gpu and cpu usage drop accordingly, so it's for sure not resource starvation but rather something on the code making it unable to use the resources, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: I do get some drops to 45-50, but those are a lot more uncommon (and less annoying), and those are not resource starvation either.
Spoiler:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

I do get FPS drop on WRR also . Pretty much only there . In some zones / areas only . Like my avatar in walking mode is just slow like in crouch mode . If i go crouch at that moment , i'm almost not advancing at all .
Don't know what my FPS is at that moment or even in normal state , will have to check it out ...

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Sycoshowbob

Post by Sycoshowbob »

BuiuRei wrote:I'm intending to record a clip about what I'm getting, but here it goes.

Today I was on wrr, but it's the same on any map, even the old ones: I'm v-sync locked on 60, then something unknown happens and I drop to precisely 30 fps. One, two or maybe even 10 seconds later, I climb back to a steady 60 fps.
The most interesting thing is that, during those 30 fps periods, the gpu and cpu usage drop accordingly, so it's for sure not resource starvation but rather something on the code making it unable to use the resources, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: I do get some drops to 45-50, but those are a lot more uncommon (and less annoying), and those are not resource starvation either.
Sometimes I run into the same problems as BuiuRei, both on WRR and TGT. Even by using an advanced gamer platform, some reserves sites the FPS presents meant fall.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

BuiuRei wrote:Today I was on wrr, but it's the same on any map, even the old ones: I'm v-sync locked on 60, then something unknown happens and I drop to precisely 30 fps. One, two or maybe even 10 seconds later, I climb back to a steady 60 fps.
That's normal behaviour for v-sync. If your GPU is unable to maintain 60 FPS it will drop to 30 FPS. If you Google "FPS drop from 60 to 30", you'll see that this is a problem for many players and many games; GTA V, Overwatch, League of Legends, etc. Whiterime and Timbergold are notoriously more hungry for resources, so clearly your GPU is unable to maintain 60 FPS on those reserves at your current settings. You could argue that those reserves should be better optimised, but that then comes back to the issue of the game running on an old engine. I don't think the developers are going to reduce the level of detail they put into future reserves, so I envisage it being a recurring theme on the forum.

I tested Timbergold a couple of weeks ago when people first start complaining about the FPS drops after the halloween event, and without an FPS indicator I had no way of telling that I was experiencing drops. So I also experience the issue, it just doesn't reduce my FPS enough to notice without an FPS counter.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Dave, I’m at work right now but when I get home I intend to play a round or two on TGT. For me, the FPS drops have always happened in the more dense forest areas, not by much tho and certainly nothing I couldn’t deal with. But the biggest issue right now is the fact that when you use your scope or binocs, the FPS drop is MASSIVE. For example, I can be South along the river near the bridge, I’ll get a solid 60-70fps the whole time. Until I raise a scope or binocs. Instantly drops to 20-15 in the scope and everything stutters. And if you are using the spotting scope, you get flickering, exactly how the scope worked for the .50 in TheHunter: Primal. I’ll get all of this on video, but just know it’s gonna be a few hours if not tomorrow before I can post
Levado
Scout

Post by Levado »

caledonianblues wrote:You could argue that those reserves should be better optimised, but that then comes back to the issue of the game running on an old engine. I don't think the developers are going to reduce the level of detail they put into future reserves, so I envisage it being a recurring theme on the forum.
The WRR issue that people talk about is often related to scopes/binos (an issue that often appears randomly) and it has nothing to do with the level of detail. I sometimes had it with my old GTX 770 and I also sometimes have it with my GTX 1070 in combination with a Core i7 at 4.4Ghz. The issue exists since the map was first released.

The engine is about ten years old, it shouldn't be demanding at all, it doesn't have any of the advanced lighting, shadows, high polygon count and demanding aliasing that modern games have and it shows, because I just tested it and I get on average 150-200fps on WRR. Right now I didn't see any issue with my binos/scopes on WRR and the FPS actually goes as up as one would expect with less things to render. But the problem is that it doesn't always do that, instead everything starts to feel really laggy as if you're looking at 20fps. I don't know the exact frame rate when it happens, because I have the RivaTuner overlay turned off for this game. Sorry, but if I'm constantly looking at 150-200fps and it sometimes starts to feel like 20fps while using scopes/binos, then there is something seriously wrong (I only have it on WRR) and like I said, with my old GTX 770 I noticed the exact same thing, I got constant frame rates over 60fps with that card, but sometimes the binos/scopes made everything feel rather laggy.
caledonianblues wrote:I tested Timbergold a couple of weeks ago when people first start complaining about the FPS drops after the halloween event, and without an FPS indicator I had no way of telling that I was experiencing drops.
You leave out the fact that your system has 2 GTX 1080ti, so I'm not surprised that you're not seeing anything different when the frame rate would have dropped 20-30fps (also when you take in account that frame rates differ depending on what you look at), heck I don't notice anything different either for the same reason, but people who were having 50fps before the issue started, will notice a major difference.
Hunter Score 71k+ ● Playing Since 2009 ● Favorite Species: all deer
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Levado wrote:The engine is about ten years old, it shouldn't be demanding at all, it doesn't have any of the advanced lighting, shadows, high polygon count and demanding aliasing that modern games have and it shows, because I just tested it and I get on average 150-200fps on WRR.
The age of the engine has no bearing on how demanding it is. Flight Simulator X is old but it absolutely destroys pretty much any system you throw at it if you crank everything up. There are also new games released with modern engines but poor optimisation which perform really badly. The problem with theHunter engine is that it's not optimised to use modern hardware or multi-threading. Also, the reason some of the later assets cause frame rate issues is because of higher poly counts. Ptarmigans are a perfect example. They have fairly high poly counts compared with other animals. The trees in BRR also.
Levado wrote:Right now I didn't see any issue with my binos/scopes on WRR and the FPS actually goes as up as one would expect with less things to render. But the problem is that it doesn't always do that, instead everything starts to feel really laggy as if you're looking at 20fps.
You probably get the random frame rate drops in Whiterime when the snow blizzards are generated. Those are pretty hard on resources, especially when looking through a scope or binoculars. In a modern engine that wouldn't be the case, but the developers are trying to add cool stuff to the game (same as the sand blowing in BRR) and the consequences of this are frame rate drops. I'm not saying I think this is good. I'm saying the engine has been stretched more than was ever intended and frankly, I don't think anything can be done about it.
Levado wrote:You leave out the fact that your system has 2 GTX 1080ti, so I'm not surprised that you're not seeing anything different when the frame rate would have dropped 20-30fps (also when you take in account that frame rates differ depending on what you look at), heck I don't notice anything different either for the same reason, but people who were having 50fps before the issue started, will notice a major difference.
I did however confirm that, with the aid of an FPS counter, I am experiencing drops. So I'm not denying the existence of an issue. I just don't expect a solution. Unless someone can convince Expansive Worlds to reduce the poly count in newer assets, go back to reserves with less environment effects, more simple animals without fur and so on, I really don't see the problem going away.

People seem to think that because theHunter is almost a decade old that it should run on machines from that era too. It won't, and with every new reserve that gets added, it's most likely going to become more demanding.

So back to my original response to BuiuRei, the reason he is seeing drops from 60 FPS to 30, is because from time to time, his GPU is incapable of maintaining 60 FPS. Should it? Yes, probably. But it doesn't. So the options are either (a) reduce settings; (b) throw more hardware at the game; or (c) complain and hope a decision is made to revert some of the effects and assets causing the issues. I would opt for one of the first two options, personally.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

i cant remember who explained it on here before bjorn maybe or emil but when you put up scopes or binos its like 2x the fps hit as its rendered twice.. or that was the gist of it.some places on whiterime and timbergold can cause a big hit and thats when you will notice it most with scope up or binos.

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”