Repeated download on Non-Steam launcher? Look here!

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
BigMo1980
Spotter

Re: Repeated download on Non-Steam launcher? Look here!

Post by BigMo1980 »

Hi guys. I just wanted to post that I also have solved my issue (downloading of the game) after reading this thread.

If you came here because you're unable to download the game properly and keep receiving error messages, rest assured there's an answer.

What happened to me was similar to what several others experienced: I would start the launcher, and as I was downloading the game, it seemed the percentage meter would go up to a certain percentage (maybe 65%) then suddenly go back to zero and start over. After the game was fully downloaded (or so I thought), as the files were being extracted, I would receive an error message saying something like "could not extract XXXXX file, the original file is corrupted".

So, the fix was simply following the directions on this thread and going to Steam. Signing up for an account was easy and cost nothing.
After I downloaded the game from Steam, I launched it (through Steam) and it worked just fine. But I wasn't done.

I took the second step, which there is a link to on one of the comments in this thread, and watched the video instructing me how to basically transfer some key files you now downloaded through Steam and put them in a folder that would allow you to launch the game directly through the website instead of using Steam. (So instead of going through Steam to launch the game, I can now double click on the launch icon on my desktop again).
Now if you're new to The Hunter and don't have any other files on your computer for The Hunter (You know, a place/folder to "transfer" the "Steam" Hunter files to) that's ok too.
Here's what you do (its what I did and it works):
Before I did anything, I went to the original "theHunter" folder where I was attempting to place the files that were being downloaded (You know, when I was having the corrupted file errors) and I uninstalled everything, to have a completely clean start.
1. Download Steam and the Steam version of the game and all those files. Confirm that the game is running through Steam. (Setting up Steam is a breeze, you'll create a login and password for Steam, write those down. If you're ok with running the game through Steam, you're done!) If you want to run it the old way through the Hunter Website, keep going.
2. Leave the game completely and close Steam.
3. Go back to the Hunter website through your web browser and re-download everything. (Yup, the same process that resulted in the multi-downloads and errors) When you start getting the error messages, just abort.
4. When that's done, now go to the folder all those files went to (the files you just downloaded directly from The Hunter website - They should be in C:/Program Files (x86)/theHunter). In THAT folder, there's a folder called "downloads" - delete it. There's another folder called "game". Delete that folder too.
5. Now go back to the folder that Steam downloaded all of IT'S files to (C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/theHunter). There, left click ONCE (or highlight) the "game" folder, right click and choose "copy".
6. Go back to C:/Program Files (x86)/theHunter, and in that folder (theHunter), right click and click paste. (You've just copied the "good" GAME folder that you got through Steam and put it in place of the bad one that you deleted.
7. Now when you click the desktop icon for the launcher you launch the game through the website and you don't have to bother with Steam.

If I left anything out, I apologize - I'm not a computer expert, I just appreciate that someone helped me so I want to help the next guy. Hope this helps somebody.
INSANEPAPPY60
Outfitter

Post by INSANEPAPPY60 »

Was having problems not being able to download the game on the website.....done the above and now its workin THANK YOU!
Uhtredson

Post by Uhtredson »

I am currently having problems. My download just keeps saying the hunter stopped working, and then scraps everything. I have tried for 4 DAYS to download this, even getting my membership back, only to have this happen to where at this rate I will never even have the game on my computer to play. So in a sense, I have paid for something I can never use unless this thing downloads correctly. 2 days ago, it had downloaded the entire game (6.5 GB) only to have this warning saying I needed to insert disc 2...????? This is not a disc download and then when I try to restart my game it goes back to 0 and tries to download the game all over again. I cannot at this point keep downloading 6 1/2 GB every day... I am overseas, and someone will catch on and cut off my IP address because I am downloading too much... Any ideas???? Can I get a set of discs that I can put in manually?????
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Uhtredson wrote:I am currently having problems. My download just keeps saying the hunter stopped working, and then scraps everything. I have tried for 4 DAYS to download this, even getting my membership back, only to have this happen to where at this rate I will never even have the game on my computer to play. So in a sense, I have paid for something I can never use unless this thing downloads correctly. 2 days ago, it had downloaded the entire game (6.5 GB) only to have this warning saying I needed to insert disc 2...????? This is not a disc download and then when I try to restart my game it goes back to 0 and tries to download the game all over again. I cannot at this point keep downloading 6 1/2 GB every day... I am overseas, and someone will catch on and cut off my IP address because I am downloading too much... Any ideas???? Can I get a set of discs that I can put in manually?????
I would highly recommend using Steam to play, or as described a couple posts above, using Steam to do the install / updates. (If you really don't want to play through Steam)

EW just doesn't have the infrastructure that Steam does for distributing lots of data. i.e. Even if they address these issues, they will never be as reliable as Steam. ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
charles197
Scout

Post by charles197 »

having issues with launcher update downloads until 45 percent than says done, need to restart to complete I click ok and nothing so I close myself and restart and bam the download starts again I cant complete not sure *** any ideas?
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Charles, in your last post you say you read the status update. Did you miss the part about "...as well as making the game exclusively available on Steam." ?

They will drop support for the native launcher. If you want to continue to play, you'll have to play through Steam.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Does any one know if the update is on theHunter server even. Maybe it needs to be spelled out one way or another exactly when theHunter launcher will close.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Templar1975

Post by Templar1975 »

Didn't I read somewhere that with the new patch it is moving to the Steam Platform mainly?
Hunt_Training
Tracker

Post by Hunt_Training »

Templar1975 wrote:Didn't I read somewhere that with the new patch it is moving to the Steam Platform mainly?
Like Tod1d just already posted above, the right adjective is "exclusively" on Steam (not "mainly"); see this Status Update (and some pre-change details explained here).

The "old" (non-Steam) Launcher should not even start to download the "new patch" (to avoid misleading perceptions): as EW announced, it is no more usable to start the game.
My summary stats (current Hunting Season):
Spoiler:

DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

Why don't you just uninstall the old launcher and move on to steam. i do not see the issue ;).
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”