Running the Hunter on Windows 8

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
Hawkaye

Running the Hunter on Windows 8

Post by Hawkaye »

Just bought a new laptop.

Can't get the game to launch, Running it on windows 8 and Google Chrome.
The game will run on my old laptop which is Windows Vista, and Google Chrome.
I have tried to re-download the launcher and game client but it still gives error while trying to launch on the new computer.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Moderator edit:
Hawkaye's Resolution: "I was able to figure it out by going into the game folder and right clicking on Icon.... Changing the user permissions to administrator and setting the compatablablity to Window 7."

First make your way to the launcher. by clicking on your file explorer and clicking on the proper location.

For Example: on mine it was C:, then PROGRAM FILES (x86), then THEHUNTER(folder), then Launcher(folder)

After getting there. Right Click on the Icon and goto Properties location.

From there. Follow this Image.

CLICK Okay, and you should be ready to Rock.
Welsch
Outfitter

Re: Launcher issues

Post by Welsch »

Can you tell us what exactly the error message is, please? And at what point does it happen - when clicking on the web page, when clicking start in the launcher, or later?
Hawkaye

Post by Hawkaye »

Firstly i Log into the game. then click the "hunt now" button.
Next i choose the hunting location. (ie. Settler's Creek)
Then i choose the Start button. and the launcher pops up.
The instant i hit the "start" button on it. a red box pops up on top of the launcher

it says
Error
Failed to start the game client
Please see the support section for more information.

I tried searching that location for any fixes and am unable to find anything.

Sorry for the long delay in the reply but i was Downloading everything again.

Thanks again for any help you can give me.
JasonP31
Outfitter

Post by JasonP31 »

Unfortunately I do not have Windows 8 so I'm going based off of other posts here. Apparently the Hunter must be ran with an Administrator account. A standard account will not run the game properly. I need to buy a copy and dual-boot I guess so I can help with the Windows 8 issues that becoming prevalent.
Hawkaye

Post by Hawkaye »

Thanks SOOOOOOO much. I was able to figure it out by going into the game folder and right clicking on Icon.... Changing the user permissions to administrator and setting the compatablablity to Window 7.

I was sure there was a way but as i said. Went from Vista to WIndows 8 so ki am having to learn everything new.

HOpe someone is able to read this and figure out their issues as well.
JasonP31
Outfitter

Post by JasonP31 »

I'm going to edit the subject of this post and sticky it. Many thanks for the information Hawkaye. You could improve this post even more if you take some basic screenshots of exactly what you changed. Pictures are very helpful. Thanks again.
jlferrell
Hunter

Re: Running the Hunter on Windows 8

Post by jlferrell »

I am also experiencing problems running theHunter on Windows 8.

The graphics are extremely blocky in the distance. Trees appear as large green rectangles until approached closer. It's hard to see anything greater than 100m unless in an open field.

I have Intel graphics. Tried to access the properties and see if there was an anti-aliasing issue but I cannot locate such a setting.

Any tips?
Hawkaye

Post by Hawkaye »

Here are screenshots of how to fix launcher. Hope they turn out alright. Holler if this is not what you wanted.

First make your way to the launcher. by clicking on your file explorer and clicking on the proper location.

For Example: on mine it was C:, then PROGRAM FILES (x86), then THEHUNTER(folder), then Launcher(folder)

After getting there. Right Click on the Icon and goto Properties location.

From there. Follow this Image.

CLICK Okay, and you should be ready to Rock.

To the Devs: If this is not what you had in mind let me know and i will fix it any way you need it.
JasonP31
Outfitter

Post by JasonP31 »

Perfect! This will really be helpful to those on Windows 8, I think. Thanks for your time and effort!! I'm going to move the screenshots to the first posts for better visibility.

Note: I stated above that some pictures would be beneficial. Just so you know, I'm not a "Dev", I don't work for EW, I'm just a volunteer moderator. No big deal, just wanted to clarify because there seems to be a lot of forum members that believe the moderators work for Expansive Worlds. (and some general assumptions that go along with that incorrect belief)
Hawkaye

Post by Hawkaye »

Awesome. I hope it works out for everyone. Good to know that people like you volunteer and help the forums. Happy New Year to you guys!!!

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”