Repeated download on Non-Steam launcher? Look here!

Have a problem? Not sure what to do? Check here for helpful answers. Please Read the Guides First :D
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: Repeated download on Non-Steam launcher? Look here!

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Fletchette wrote:
stancomputerhunter wrote:Thank you, John. I have done that before. But this time, after 6 full downloads, I deleted theHunter from my PC trying to get a new clean install. It won't install. Keeps stopping at 92% and then starting over. So, I have no PC file to copy the game folder from Steam to. I kept my old Hunter file when "the fix" came out from you, not the one from EW. I will try re-naming it theHunter from theHunter.old and see if I can get the game file from Steam in there.

Make sense?
Not really.....I don't know what you mean by "PC file".

All you need is to have the Launcher install from the website. After it installs (this only takes a minute or so), the launcher should start. When the launcher starts, it will automatically start to download the game. This will take a long time depending on your internet speed, and I assume this is what you are saying gets stuck at 92%. That's fine, just close the launcher as soon as it starts downloading the game, it doesn't need to finish. Then do what I showed in the video.

PS. The "fix" only involved a single file, "theHunter.exe". This problem has nothing to do with that. For the game to work, you need the entire patched "game" folder to be copied from Steam. It's about 6GB, and "theHunter.exe" is just one of the many files in that folder. The patches change many other files, and they all need to be correct for the game to work. So if you're just trying to manipulate "theHunter.exe", don't waste your time, that won't help.
It worked! I watched the video (of course I was doing it wrong!) and did it step by step as you did, and it worked. Thanks. I know what I was doing wrong now. The video was a tremendous help! So were the comments in this last post, John. Thanks!

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

DanthemanBoone wrote: When I close the download and go back to theHunter folder check the game folder again ... it is empty every time.
That's because the first thing the launcher does when it decides to reinstall is delete everything in the game folder. A few things to check out:

1. Are you sure the Steam install is patched up to date? You can check by going to your Steam Library, right clicking on theHunter. Select "Properties" at the bottom of the pop-up menu, then click on the "Local Files" tab. Now click on "verify integrity of game cache". This will check to see if the installation is good. By default, Steam patches games automatically in background, but it's possible that is turned off on your installation of Steam.

2. Is it possible that your anti-virus is "eating" the game files? I've had this happen with Norton Anti-virus a few times this year.

3. After doing the copy again, try to start the launcher from a desktop icon, rather than using the "Hunt Now" button on the website. If you don't have a desktop icon, simply open Windows Files Explorer, navigate to the "Program Files (x86)\theHunter\Launcher" Folder and double-clicking on "Launcher.exe". This will start the launcher directly. If that works, you can create a desktop icon later.
Personal Bests...
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Right On.
Verifying the Steam game files has fixed the repeating download problem at theHunter website.
Two files needed to be reacquired.

Once that was done and the game folder was copied back from Steam to theHunter folder the game started normally from theHunter website.

Thanks for the help with the work around Fletch.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

Since I don't have theHunter through Steam I decided to try the first part of Fletchette's tutorial.
Prior to attempting this I could not get through the incessant full download/patch/error process.
So I deleted both the Game and Downloads folders in my theHunter main folder. Then I simply reopened the same launcher I had before and let it download, install and patch the game again.
Times will vary depending on internet connection etc. but after app. 30 minutes the game was running again and I could start a hunt. I only tried Timbergold Trail but it ran without issue.
As a side note; Before doing this I noticed that the launcher version was showing as Version (803 I v 0). After the above process it now reads Version (803 I v2016110301)
I'm not sure if that's relevant but I figured I'd post it just in case.
rj16066
Tracker

Post by rj16066 »

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, as i did NOT read through all these posts. But for me, turning off my Kaspersky while downloading seemed to help with the Web updates, as i do not play this game on Steam.

Win10 64bit /Intel 5930 i7 @ 3.5ghz 6-core/Gigabyte x99 UD3 / EVGA GTX1080 8Gig- / CORSAIR H2O 620 CPU Watercooler /Corsair 1000w PS/ 32-gig corsair Vengeance / 1 TB SSD / 2 TB WD caviar black / 2 TB Caviar / SA950 1920 x 1080
Kraftyk

Post by Kraftyk »

Dennis Borg wrote:Hello everyone!

Right now I am looking for players that have issues with the repeated download that never gets done and seem to always fail. I could use some help trying something out so if you have issues and want to give this a try then leave a comment here and I will contact you with information. Hoping to have this tested as soon as possible so we know if we are on the right track! :)
This is December 30, 2016, at 6:21 am CST in the United States. Got up this morning early as we are off for holiday of the New Year and was going to play "the Hunter" only to find that it started another full download. Got to 46% and restarted. My husband had started trying to play at 5:00 am on his computer and got the same thing. He had tried it 4 times and it had stopped every time at 46%. Since we do NOT have unlimited data usage he stopped and tried to access it through his steam account and got an error message there also. Told us it could not connect to the server and to try again later. I attempted to access through steam on my account and got the same message.

I can tell you that as a beta tester for several different types of computer programs over the past 30 years, that the download always restarts itself at 46% and the mbs of that file never start so it apparently is at the start of whatever file is at 46%. I let my computer go ahead and restart and left it for a bit and at some point it moved to the Install screen and went through the total install and then flipped back and started the download all over again. I wish I had sat and watched it to see at what point it flipped back but I had came over her to the forums to see if everyone else was having problems. I had this issue with the release that was back in December and I tried it several times on several different days and times and finally started playing through steam. I decided after the Contest was over on December 25th to try and download the file through the website and it went through the first time that was just a couple of days ago.

If I could be of help in you trying to figure out what is going on, I'd be more than happy to help. I'm 59 Years old and I have extensive computer training.

Hoping you can get a fix on this soon.

Kraftyk

This is an update at approximately 6:40 AM CST we were able to access "TheHunter" through steam. Appears they got the download fixed.
quincysw

Post by quincysw »

I am running windows 7 pro 64bit and I am unable to install The Hunter because it is continually downloading

regards

Brian
RedDog101

Post by RedDog101 »

I had that same problem until the last update. No problems since.
Alena Rybik
EW Staff
EW Staff

Post by Alena Rybik »

<Moved to Support & Technical Issues forum>
Wolftracker
Spotter

Post by Wolftracker »

I had to download full installation yesterday, and 30 minutes ago i couldn't even log in, was met by server error text on White screen. Now I just logged on and the game wants to do a full download again???

Return to “Need help? Support & Technical Issues”